View Single Post
Old 27-06-2007, 02:56 AM   #13
typsee

I am currently:

I think I will have a look into that medication Willow. Although I am quite 'stable' now ( LOL - whatever that means! ), I do go through some pretty rough periods during certain times of the year (ie - around my birthday, Christmas, whenever there's a death of a loved one), and it would be nice to have a medication that actually works to take the edge of these feelings. I dont expect there to be a miracle cure for dissociation (although if someone offered me one, I dont think I'd knock it back!) .... but it definitely would be nice to have a little chemical help, y'know?.... (or maybe that's just my addictive nature speaking there... but sometimes living with dissociation problems can be incredibly difficult, cant it? So I really dont blame anyone - nor myself - for wishing it could be a litle easier sometimes.)

Romy - I really like your 'food poisoning / allergy' analogy (or is it called a metaphor? I always get those 2 mixed up! ). Often I find myself wondering how I can still be so badly effected by something that happened over 20 years ago! But as my therapist so patiently explains over ... and over ... and over to me these traumatic experiences occurred during the years when my personality and 'sense of self' was only just developing - ie - it was a 'critical time' in my life, and it is expected that it would have a significant impact on my life today. hmmm ... but understanding what's happening to you and why you are the way you are, doesnt always make it any easier to LIVE with it though.

Apple - I also have the diagnosis of Complex PTSD .... even though my therapist says that this particular diagnosis hasnt made it to the DSMs yet - I think they said it might make the 6th edition though - apparently adding a new diagnosis to these psych manuals that the docs use to diagnose patients, ends up taking a loooooong time with all the red tape involved! I used to have the diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder, because the docs didnt know what to make of all my 'lost time', and they just didnt believe in Dissociative Identity Disorder (kinda makes you wonder what they thought of DID being in the DSM 4 then, doesnt it? ) But I knew I didnt have DID ... and I hadnt heard of Complex PTSD at that stage, so borderline was it for me! And because of the stigmaattached to that particular disorder, I was treated with alot of doubt and suspicion - everything I said or did was seen as 'manipulative' - not nice at ALL! .... but this is a thread for Dissociation problems, so I will save those thoughts for the 'borderline thread' I've seen pop up recently in this forum ... here it is!
It's great to read about other people's experiences - sometimes you can just pick up something - like the name of a medication, or a coping strategy that you hadnt thought of, or whatever - and it could be something that may make all the difference for another person!

Thanks everyone for sharing!

typsee is offline   Reply With Quote