View Single Post
Old 04-08-2007, 08:59 PM   #38
FreeDilbert
Comically Deranged

I am currently:

Hi people,

I've just noticed this thread and I'm so happy that there are people out there who still gain strength from their faith. I'm technically catholic, but not practising in any form for a long time. I got tired of people with dog collars preaching THEIR view of the bible and on the meaning of everything down to me as if I had no intelligence of my own.

Also I'm a historian, a talent which has always been viewed as the enemy of religion. Also I tended to find members of the clergy offended by philosophical discussion.

I love Christ, I love the principle of sacrifice for your fellow man, to love your neighbour and to forgive the indiscretions other people cause us. It's common sense, it's the same idea of a social utopia, true charity would be bliss.

The preaching of Christ was a fantastic idea. But as soon as it became a chuch and an institution with an almost aggressive obsession with convincing people of its version of the "truth" it caused so much harm and pain.

What was wrong with just applying the principles?

Am I really to believe that a fair and just Lord will cast a good, kind and charitable man straight to hell simply because he reads from the wrong book???

I have followed the principles that are the foundations of "Christian" life, and I believe they have made me into a good person. But I believe self harm is not a sin, I do not believe that people who commit suicide go to hell.

God gives us life and strength, but be wary of the words of men. No matter how learned or faithful they seem, they are still just voicing their view of the bible and their view is tainted with all the failings of man.

*Faith Is Going Forward
Knowing Only That
What Lies Ahead
Must Be Better
Than What Lies Behind*

FreeDilbert is offline   Reply With Quote