View Single Post
Old 22-06-2008, 09:03 AM   #15
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

A friend or someone I know is suicidal - what can I do?

If someone has told you that they are suicidal, be there for the person but don't let it affect you too heavily, also. The key to this is that suicide should never be a secret. If someone has expressed to you that they feel suicidal or that they have a plan, don't take that all on board by yourself; tell someone.

Talk to an adult or a professional about what they have said, such as a parent, a doctor, or a counsellor / psychologist.

It might be worth telling your friend first, saying something like "I care about you and therefore I cannot keep information about suicide a secret, can we get some professional help?" If you feel able to, offer to go with them to get the support that they need. Talk it over with your friend, let them know they can get through this but you need to speak up and tell someone.

They might be scared, they might object to telling other people, but ultimately it could save their lives so don't feel bad, because getting them the support they need is the right thing to do for you both (and one day, they will be grateful I am sure. But when the feelings are so intense it can be very scary.)

If your friend is just talking about suicide, still take what they say seriously. You might want to ask them what is triggering the feelings, and if there is anything you can do to help? Even if you are able to provide some fun and distraction for them. Let them know you are there for them - they must trust you a lot to be able to tell you about their feelings so try not to dismiss them. Validate how they are feeling ("I understand..") and if you can, help them sort through it, and help them too to speak out and get support. If you can listen to what they are saying, that can reduce their own distress and perhaps make them feel a bit better, so try and have a listening ear and let them know you care, and that they are not alone; you're there for them.

Remember to look after yourself too, as it can be emotionally draining supporting someone with suicidal feelings. Make sure you've got enough of a chance to be gentle with yourself and somewhere where you can express your feelings, too.

Last edited by Snow White. : 30-06-2008 at 04:41 AM.