View Single Post
Old 22-06-2008, 06:56 AM   #5
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

What can I do to decrease my suicidal feelings?

Suicide is often thought of under times of increased pressure, stress and demand is placed on ourselves. When we feel we're fighting a battle -even if only with ourself mentally- and we feel we cannot win.

In all honesty, suicide is a big thing. Don't let anything "normalise" suicide for you because it is a big and permanent solution to a temporary problem.

However, there are some things you can do to reduce the severity of these feelings and hopefully lead you into getting some help and support to get you through this.

Some ideas include:
  • Do not try and go through this alone. Speak with someone about your problems. You need not be blunt and say "I'm suicidal" if you don't want to, but you can certainly talk with someone about the stress you feel from your parents, your family, your work, your job -talk about your feelings and get some of it out of your head a bit, release it as much as you can in a healthy manner.
    -
  • Try and figure out what is pushing you into feeling this way. Are you overwhelmed, trapped, scared, being bullied? If you can label the reasons you are feeling so pushed into feeling suicidal, you can begin to think about working on the problem. For example, if you're stressed about a work situation and you can identify it, you can problem solve and reduce the stress the situation is giving you. Identify your triggers and see if you can reduce the negative impact they have on you.
    -
  • Take some time off. Relax. Seriously - as big as these feelings may be, take some time away from them, tell your head to put them aside and do something simple, even playing in The Arcade and distract yourself. Know that you don't have to focus on them. In fact if you do, it's not going to help you. Try and have a healthy barrier between yourself and these thoughts, keep them at a distance so you don't become obsessed with the thoughts. And if you are obsessed, then speak to a professional about it.
    -
  • Express it! Write, talk, sing to music loudly. The same with avoiding self harm, to reduce your feelings towards suicidality it can help to be able to express them in a healthy manner. Some healthy ideas for expressing your negative emotions (anger/stressed/overwhelmed etc) include:
    1. Writing. Either use the Ranting & Venting Forum or use a bit of paper and get out your feelings, write everything going through your head and let it get out there so you don't have to focus on it. It might also make what is stressing you a bit clearer.
    2. Physical Expression. In a healthy manner can help you to release any tension that is building up. Make sure though, that you don't cause any physical harm on yourself. Try going for a jog, doing some gentle exercise (releases endorphins!) or even scribbling on a page. Also try holding some ice for a short time, or having a cold shower. The lists go on, you can be inventive with this one.
As long as you are able to try and reduce the amount of time you are spending on your suicidal thoughts, the intensity of them should decrease. If you are strong enough to try and train your thoughts, recognise when they wander to suicide and consciously bring them back from that and focus on something else, even a physical object nearby.

Of course, professional help will always be a must-do in helping you decrease your suicidal thoughts. I recommend you speak to your doctor and speak with a psychologist or psychiatrist regarding them so the exact points can be discussed and you can receive the treatment that you truly do deserve. You don't need to suffer with these thoughts.

Last edited by Snow White. : 30-09-2009 at 12:36 AM.