View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #15
HopeRises

I've had CBT before, I am now on the waiting list again (but its 5months long in my area) I found it helpful for awhile but overall, antidepressents with CBT is meant to be more successful.

It helped me at the time, but a few years down the line and I back to the scared shell that I used to be..probably because I didn't keep up with challenging negative thoughts and things..it's hard work especailly when your depressed and you believe all the negative thoughts your hearing/telling yourself.

You could try MoodGYM it's an online program (It's also free) Search moodGYM in google. I'm currently doing it. It is incredibly basic but if you've not done CBT before, it could be helpful.

I have to say, I don't think it's helping me at all (moodGYM), but you know sometimes you'll be working and working at getting better and not seeing any difference and then one day you realise "Wow I just done such un such" Like for me I am terrified of phones, don't answer them, don't ring people. If someone answered the phone and it was for me, I'd talk but thats it. Then on friday I answered the phone and yesterday I rang someone, It's like you wonder how you get to the 'better place'..it all slots into place without you noticing if that makes sense? so it might be doing some good after all.

The lady I had an assesment for CBT with also recommended me a book. I bought it (but you can probably get it from the library) I haven't really looked at it yet though.

I do think CBT can be helpful but it depends what your problems are probably. It won't solve everything..but yeah. M,aybe it's best to speak to your GP about it and see whats avalible in your area..prehaps it's best to start with a therapist, but depends how long the list is..also like others have said, there might be stuff in your comunity. I know that my local CMHT run courses (Primary care) on stress management and things and most of that is CBT based, I think they are 'self referal' aswell. So try 'Mind'/your GP, ask around.

Feel free to PM me if your interested in the book.

Life can be beautiful if you let it.
Step back, breathe and take it in

HopeRises is offline   Reply With Quote