Thread: Oops!
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #10
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Bitch View Post
Totally off-topic here: I find it weird that the US and Germany have mother's day at the same time. I always would have guessed it's more likely to have it on the same day as the UK.

As another fun fact: as far as I know Hitler introduced mother's day in Nazi land. Talk about awkward.

I quick survey of the situation reveals a complex situation. In UK Mother's Day came from Mothering day which was part of Lent calendar and went back to the 1100s and the Church's celebration of the Virgin Mary. Around the 16th C the day was associated with the local "mothering" church.

In US it the roots are secular and grew from traditions that went back to mothers of civil war soldiers meeting. It became official holiday in 1908. Other countries soon enacted a Mother's Day in relation to WWI. Germany's first one was 1922 but the Nazis made it an official holiday in 1933 and tied it in with goosing mothers producing more children for the Vaterland (Fatherland). Hitler of course worshipped his mother and hated his father

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote