Thread: Racism.
View Single Post
Old 13-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #32
Ninja Orange

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crysainta View Post
I don't really believe people can be color blind unless they are literally blind. You can notice someone's skin color or race without being racist. You don't have to make a big deal out of it, but if that person comes from a different culture then it seems to me that bearing that in mind is a good idea. There's a difference between being aware of someone's ethnic background and discriminating against that person because of it. Culture is a huge part of what a person is, and ethnicity is part of that many times. Some people take it too far and are so "culturally sensitive" it becomes ridiculous. Like my ex had a friend who would always play hip hop music when he was around, even though this guy would normally listen to country music. He assumed that a black person must love hip hop music and he was trying to be nice, but he was actually stereotyping. My ex, who was more a fan of gothic industrial music, thought it was funny. In the end I think we should know and appreciate the different cultures people come from, without acting like that COMPLETELY defines people or that all people within the same racial group belong to the same culture.
I agree with a lot of that. But there's a difference between culture and race/colour. When people were saying they're "colourblind", it doesn't refer to ignoring culture (I'm speaking for myself, I can't say for definite that that's exactly what the others meant). You can have an immigrant from India/Pakistan/Nigeria/etc, and obviously you'd notice the cultural difference straight away (I do, in any case). And then there's 2nd or 3rd generation immigrants, who are culturally as English or American as ethnically English people. And this is where I become colourblind. If there's no cultural difference between us, I often forget that the person is a different colour. Hope that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicx_xRocket View Post
*wonders if that makes me racist against the humans*
Nah, that's just antisocial. I'm being that at the moment. :P

Ninja Orange is offline   Reply With Quote