Thread: how dare she?!
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
MissAnonymous

I am currently:

Hey there lovely,

Not sure how much help I'll be but here goes.. I know it may not feel very validating right now, but the fact she has added weeks to your therapy is a sign she knows you are far from good health. Where you are has good services, yes, but they wouldn't suggest more support if they didn't think it necessary, beneficial and worthwhile.

Instead of thinking of what you perceive as a loss, could you think of it as more of a choice now. Nobody say's you cant be eating disordered, but you have some experience without so much eating chaos now that I am sure has lead you to some better times and potentially many more. She hasn't taken anything from you right now, its more that you have found a place that offers more than one path to choose. She cannot, and has not stopped you from making the choices outside the sessions and maybe this is something that you can remind yourself of. The progress you made [as scary as I KNOW this is to hear] is yours. You have that power and you have exercised more control in changing the way things are than anyone else can.

I suspect she knows there is still much work to be done; could you tell her how you felt reading the letter and explore what you feel there is to gain by identifying yourself through an illness?

If she used the word 'qualify' I really can see how that would provoke emotions that make the ED seem like the favourable path to take, please remember this is semantics, her wording is not good, but it really just means they see how much progress you have made and therefore want to work further with you to help you get away from the problems that lead you to them when you first started.

In general please consider why you were referred, that an eating disorder leads you downwards, never upwards and it closes off opportunities left right and centre. Maybe you can try and view your journey as recovery from an eating disorder [which is not only accurate] but it will help balance the reasoning behind these changes, that there is a problem and you are fighting something.

I hope something I have said is of some use, but either way, lots of love to you, and message me anytime :)

xxx

MissAnonymous is offline   Reply With Quote