View Single Post
Old 15-06-2007, 04:23 AM   #15
Beatrix

Location: London . . . the less awesome one in Ontario, Canada

I can only speak for certain about my own experiences, and a little from those that I'm close to, but my suggestion would be to at least give it a try.

Counseling made a HUGE difference for me. I can now function in a relatively normal way. I have good days and bad days for sure, but compared to where I was a year ago . . . wow. The change is amazing, and it's all for the best. Many of my close friends have also found it to be very helpful. On top of that, everyone in my immediate family - both parents and my brother - have been in counseling at one point or another for various reasons, and all of them have really benefited.

It's not something to be embarassed about nor is it a sign of weakness as some people might have you believe. Rather, taking that step is a sign that you're taking responsibility for your own health and doing what you need to do to take care of yourself and feel well. I think it's a sign of great strength.

Here's the way my brother explained it to me - and I'm sure I've posted this here before: if you broke your leg, you wouldn't hesitate to go and see a doctor. Not seeing a doctor would just be silly, right? So, why should we treat our mental health with any less care? It is just as important and worth caring about.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you luck. Please take care.

Beatrix is offline   Reply With Quote