View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
spiders*web
Pugs and Wine <3

I am currently:

I know exactly what you mean. I know the best routine for me inside out to stay ahead of depression but sometimes it's just not as easy as knowing it!

Aimee is right though, the fact that you know this and want to do something about it is huge.

I'll tell you what I do if it might help? Like Aimee said, start off really small, and be proud of yourself when you achieve anything. To others it might seem tiny but all sufferers of depression will know what a big achievement it is to just get out of bed and wash.

I put my alarm across from my room. It makes me get out of bed just to get rid of the annoying noise! Although in severe times you may be tempted to put up with it for fear of moving.

Have everything you would like to achieve that day written down. I know this isn't the whole answer, but having it written down will help when your concentration is poor. Thinking you've forgotten something will only increase anxiety. When you do achieve it tick it off with a smiley face! (I know that's sad but it always cheers me up a little!)

If you don't achieve everything, and you probably won't as we all seem to expect far more from ourselves than is realistically possible, concentrate on what you have done and remember that there is always tomorrow.

When you go to bed make sure everything is how you would like it to be when you wake up. For me it's a tidy room, clean bedsheets, me in jim jams and not my day clothes, clean face and stuff sorted that I need tomorrow ie clothes, books, etc.

The most important thing is to keep fighting, and you're already doing that. So many people have the misconception that depression is cured with meds and you can just sit there and wait for them to work. We know that's not the case. It's a daily battle. Meds may open the door, but we're the ones that have to walk through it! (Sorry, sci fi fan here.) So if you don't do as well as you wanted to do today, remember that tomrrow you can try again. Be kind to yourself, don't shout at yourself in your head or berate yourself. Tell yourself when you lie down to go to sleep that you did good today and tomorrow you can do it again.

Much love xx

spiders*web is offline   Reply With Quote