View Single Post
Old 27-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #13
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athiri View Post
Boris is a master of good PR. He plays up to the 'lovable buffoon' but that doesn't make me forget who he is. He's a very wealthy man with absolutely no concept of the harsh realities of life that many in London have to endure, who once referred to black people as 'piccaninnies'.

What also worries me is that a lot of people like him but not his party. The Conservatives are well aware of this and distance themselves from him because of it.
To be fair, the vast majority of high-level politicians are from the upper middle class. The majority come from very wealthy backgrounds (hell, you practically have to or be incredibly lucky to stand a chance of getting anywhere in politics!) and very few know of the "harsh realities" that are faced by people all across the country.

Boris does have the image of being a blond buffoon, but I think he has done a lot better than most people thought he would. I don't live in London, so can't say for sure, but party politics shouldn't really be a major sticking point. I consider it to be like local council elections, where it is the people who matter, not necessarily the party they are affiliated to. Although I think that is the same of general elections, but to a lesser extent.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote