RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   home schooling (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238468)

ASkatersDream... 12-01-2016 08:53 PM

home schooling

Just something I'm wanting an opinion on. Just thinking of future if I were to have kids. I personally hated school myself. What are people's opinions on home school?

Few points to raise.

. How do you know you're teaching them right things.
. What about the future gcses, college, uni.
. Social isolisation.
. How would you work yourself if your at home with your child all day?

But then again would you keep your child in a place they hate/don't thrive?

I know my opinions do spark emotions so if you are to comment please keep it civil :)

sherlock holmes 13-01-2016 09:25 AM

I'm against it generally. Unless a professional teacher is hired then you wont be teaching your children to the standard they will receive at a proper school. Plus it's incredibly hard to keep the structure of a school day at home where kids get bored and want to watch TV or play in their bedroom, but at school those things aren't options!

And then there's the whole isolation thing. They will miss out on forming social relationships and their skills and confidence growing in that area. If they decided to go to school at a later date, or to get a job etc they might feel very shy and like they don't fit in.

I guess it depends if someone is struggling in school and why, but for the most part I think that those things can be addressed while keeping a pupil in school.

Unbreakable. 13-01-2016 09:39 AM

I get you with hating school.
Thing is, it doesn't mean your kids will hate school.
I would always look into alternatives to that like going to a different school, sorting out whatever issues are going on etc.

In addition to the concerns already raised I would worry what lesson it would teach my kid of not liking it somewhere/not liking doing something was enough of a reason for me to not make them do it.

I would consider home schooling as a last resort.
Maybe that's because I'm German though and I'm pretty sure it's illegal here.
Schools have gotten better at dealing with such cases I think and there is more support available for a kid. I have a cousin who was diagnosed with "School Phobia" [quotation marks as I am not sure of the official term]. He had a short stint of intensive inpatient treatment, than a phased return to school that started with a staff member from the program sitting in the class room with him, then just seeing him during breaks and so on.
I imagine that in the meantime some work was done with his classmates about his issues and how not to act etc.

The One Who 13-01-2016 07:52 PM

It's not very common in the UK, but in places where it is more established (like the US, as an example) there is almost a community of home schooled kids, so the issue of isolation is less there. In the UK though it would probably be more difficult to ensure your child had a proper social education.

Also, just because you didn't like school, doesn't mean your child shouldn't be offered the opportunity to. I think there are better solutions to the problems rather than removing the child from mainstream education completely.

ASkatersDream... 13-01-2016 11:33 PM

Thanks for comments guys

lord of luck 14-01-2016 01:46 AM

if you're doing it right social isolation isn't even a thing. trust me, i was homeschooled k-12 and other than my dissociative issues which have nothing to do with how i was schooled im fine. im a natural introvert, but feel like i get along with any other people in my life totally fine.

with that said, just make sure you read up on it. in a lot of places its relatively easy and not as ostracized as it was in the late 80s and early 90s. it's a good possibility for every kid, but take their opinion into consideration as they grow up too. it's not a situation you can't reverse either. just keep that in mind :)