RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Support and Advice (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   crisis team/AAT/whatever it's called these days (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210900)

Albus Dumbledore 15-07-2013 09:36 AM

crisis team/AAT/whatever it's called these days

Hi,
Last night I had a really bad time emotionally. My mum spoke to me and convinced me to phone the AAT (formerly crisis team). After 20 minutes of struggling to talk about my emotions to a stranger, the best advice he could give me was to watch tv. Everyone always tells me that I need to phone the AAT when I'm struggling, but what is the point when their best advice is to watch tv, or have a cup of tea?
Anyone else have problems with their crisis team? What's the most stupid thing they've told you? How do you deal with them being unhelpful?

snailonvalium 15-07-2013 10:34 AM

My local crisi team say the same thing as yours, I think you just have to keep trying with them, as all the staff are different, sometimes you get someone who will be more than the "have a cup of tea" brigade.
Some people find the samaritans more helpful for talking to, as in they have the time to just listen x

crazykat 15-07-2013 11:41 AM

Yeah I have been told to just have a bath or watch tv too. I agree with the above though keep trying as sometimes you can get someone that is more helpful. Or can you try another helpline such as the Samaritans. One thing that I find really helpful is to come up with a crisis plan of my own too which can include numbers to call and other distractions that you might find helpful.

Albus Dumbledore 15-07-2013 12:39 PM

Thanks for the replies. I talked to my cco today and next time I see her, we're going to try and come up with a crisis plan. I find it very difficult to talk about my emotions, especially over the phone, so to overcome the fear, just to be told to watch tv was really demoralising.

Steel Maiden 15-07-2013 04:38 PM

The crisis team have called the police on me a few times before so I don't trust them now.

Dying_Angel 15-07-2013 07:24 PM

Ive never called them but my mate has a couple of times and they have also said her about having a cup of tea or bath

Taraxacum 21-07-2013 11:35 AM

Crisis plans tend to work well, like a list of 10 things to do when you need to re-focus your emotions.

My crisis team tend to be uite good, but I have met most of them in person through Crisis teamm/Home treatment appointments in the day

secret squirrel 21-07-2013 03:12 PM

Do you have an idea of what a helpful response would be? I also found the generic 'have some tea, have a bath, go for a walk' advice was annoying and patronising. So I worked with one of the Crisis Team to make a list of helpful and unhelpful responses so that even staff who had never met me would have an idea of how to help. Maybe you could do that with your cc? A Crisis plan is a great idea, I also have one and it has a list of who to contact, and also things I can do to help myself.

Steel Maiden 21-07-2013 04:14 PM

I've never been told to have a cup of tea etc before. Probably because I was about to do something extremely disastrous, so they just called the police on me, who would just turn up.

sherlock holmes 22-07-2013 02:46 PM

I usually get told to watch a film, have a bath or read a book. Sometimes when I talk about wanting to go into hospital because I'm suicidal I just get told that you can still commit suicide in hospital.