RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   First Aid Advice (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   What's good for scars? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2721)

pixie*lyssie 06-06-2007 07:39 PM

What's good for scars?

... that's not expensive. I use palmers and I think it helps but I want something that works quicker. Is it true that Bio Oil helps?
I want to get rid of them.

Lyss x

inkyspider 06-06-2007 07:44 PM

Bio oil is suppposed to help, i've never tried it.
I use aloe vera, it's meant ot be good.
Vitamin E cream is meant to be good to.

There is a post somewhere about removing scars. It might be in v2. I'll have a look.

pixie*lyssie 06-06-2007 07:46 PM

Okay, thank you hun. I was using vitamin e oil for years but it didn't seem to be doing anything for my scars. I guess I shall try Bio Oil.

Aidee 06-06-2007 07:51 PM

The best way to avoid scaring and to get rid of scars is to take care of your cuts from the beginning. Never let them dry out and scab, always keep them covered with gauze and antibiotic cream. Once the new skin has formed keeping it supple will help a lot. Using a good vitamin E lotion or bio oil will do the most for you.

You won't always be able to get rid of all of your scars. If they are keliods, which are raised, red/pink bumpy scars it may take years for them to soften up, while minor scars may only take a few months to fade.

Visibility of the scars and how long it takes them to fade depends a lot on the person, their health, their skin color, how much sun they get, etc etc etc so it varies a lot from person to person.

AD

revenge 06-06-2007 08:03 PM

i have been using bio oil on my scars
(well, my mum has been making me..)
and ive been using it for about 2 or 3 weeks, and there's no change so far,
but it is meant to be good i think..

Aidee 07-06-2007 01:19 AM

You shouldn't expect to see any changes for 2-3 months, as scars take time to start to fade.

AD

Obsession 07-06-2007 01:52 AM

Mederma is a good cream thingy, but it's kind of expensive. But you know what weird thing worked for me? Body butter. I started using it, and my scars faded a little.*o.O It was odd. It might have had Aloe Vera in it....

Angel Dust seems pretty pro, though. ; )

Graphite 07-06-2007 04:57 AM

Bio oil worked well for the scars which were raised and such, mostly made them softer and less visisble. took several months to notice any real difference though.

:jumpin:

Aidee 07-06-2007 08:23 AM

If you need encouragement to keep using something on scars, take a picture of them before you start using a product, then pictures every month or so after that, and after 6 months sit down and compare all of them and that way you can keep yourself motivated to keep using the product. Its a good way to see the changes over time.

AD

purexcocaine 07-06-2007 10:27 AM

Yeah vitamin e, is meant to be good.
I used it for a while and it worked, but i ran out now.
anyway, yes try the above and vitamin e :)

<33

Just a girl, Interrupted. 11-06-2007 11:07 PM

I use cocoa body butter on scars and stretch marks

I dont notice anything, but my boyfriend has already

although that could just be natural scar fading because mine do fade kinda fast anyways

[kinda useless reply, sorry]

Rainbow-Angel 12-06-2007 04:05 AM

Bio-oil is great, my fostercarer had a stomach operation from cancer and had a really severe (Like HUGE) scar from it, from her chest to below her waist line. Although on opperation scars it won't make you 100% clear (but it did reduce it dramatically) it tends to for s/h scars. Its marvellous.

Cocoa butter works but is very greasy. I used to use aqueous cream as a body wash rather than perfumed ones because it did not irritate my scars and healed them extremely well. And at about £2-£3 for an EXTREMELY large tub I'd say its worth it!

meganf 14-06-2007 03:38 PM

i use a cream/gel that is used by ppl in plastic surgary(not sayin where i aquired it from) and i can not remeber what it is called as i hv run out of it.
i need tyo get some mor and when i do i will post the name of the product

_plastic 14-06-2007 04:17 PM

Quote:

You won't always be able to get rid of all of your scars. If they are keliods, which are raised, red/pink bumpy scars it may take years for them to soften up, while minor scars may only take a few months to fade.
i have one like this on my arm and it's driving me insane i can't get rid of it it sounds like it needed stitches cuz it it raised and the thing is that i have to go to my uncels wedding and can't find anything suitable to wear it's summer and really hot here , wish i know what to do it will be after less than 2 weeks damn it ...i want to cry