RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   dear all you clever computer people... (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187316)

Lou Lou 29-04-2012 05:02 PM

dear all you clever computer people...

I don't know if this is really the right place for this but I have a stupid virus thing on my laptop. It's called Smart Fortress and is like a fake anti-virus thingy-ma-bob. It keeps blocking firefox and insisting that I must buy their anti-virus softwhere. I can only sometimes manage internet explorer and when I use google to look for a solution is redirects me to various sites...like mens health. Little ****.

As I am pretty useless with this technical stuff, so far all I've managed to do is a) work out its bad and b) run safe mode so I can look online for a solution.

All the solutions I can get on to tell me different things and ask me to download various programs to get rid of Smart Fortress. But I'm not sure what is reliable/worthwhile and what isn't.

Anyone able to give me some ideas? Help?

Bleeding Angel 29-04-2012 08:08 PM

Do you have anti-virus software?

Lou Lou 29-04-2012 08:37 PM

McAfee. from what I've read, it completely over-rides the anti-virus software already installed. But like I said, I don't get computery stuff :S

Muir 29-04-2012 08:40 PM

Try this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/viru...-fortress-2012

Steel Maiden 30-04-2012 06:40 AM

I don't know if this is the best advice, but have you tried System Restore, or starting it in Safe Mode and sorting it out then? (Although I think wifi gets disabled in Safe Mode)

Sorry if that was crap advice.

forever_lost 30-04-2012 08:57 AM

I don't really know a lot about computers but my uncle does...that doesn't really help lol. But a few months ago I had this mega virus on my computer and he helped me get rid of it. Once he got the internet working again he had me download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. They have a free trial and even though it's used up, I think it's still somehow protecting my computer lol. It caught what my other security software didn't. (The virus was so new) It got rid of all but one stubborn infected file that my uncle had to get creative with. So I guess I'd recommend trying that if you can.

Sorry that probably wasn't much help!
For a price, you could try taking it to the place you bought it, and see if they can fix it. My friend did that once, and she didn't even have to pay because it was still under some warranty that covered it.

SavingGrace 30-04-2012 11:10 AM

Microsoft Essentials. Best virus software that I have found for free. =]

Lou Lou 30-04-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forever_lost (Post 3209711)
I don't really know a lot about computers but my uncle does...that doesn't really help lol. But a few months ago I had this mega virus on my computer and he helped me get rid of it. Once he got the internet working again he had me download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. They have a free trial and even though it's used up, I think it's still somehow protecting my computer lol. It caught what my other security software didn't. (The virus was so new) It got rid of all but one stubborn infected file that my uncle had to get creative with. So I guess I'd recommend trying that if you can.

Sorry that probably wasn't much help!
For a price, you could try taking it to the place you bought it, and see if they can fix it. My friend did that once, and she didn't even have to pay because it was still under some warranty that covered it.

I downloaded Malwarebytes things and did some other stuff and thankfully it's gone. Though I've noticed since random pages pop up every once in a while that never happened before. I may have to do some more fiddling and hope I don't break my laptop in the process lol

Thanks for the replies :)