RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mental Health Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Lamotrigine (Lamictal) vs lithium (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93048)

one lie at a time 13-04-2009 01:06 AM

Lamotrigine (Lamictal) vs lithium

I think questions like this must get really redundant and possibly frustrating.

But I'm really confused and suffering from huge indecision.

I've taken both Lithium and Lamotrigine. Lithium for the past 2 years (kind of on an off - I stopped taking it for a couple of months last year) and took Lamotrigine for 10 months before I randomly stopped taking it for no reason.

I don't remember how well the Lamotrigine worked. I remember that my med guy was very unhappy when I stopped taking it. My mom says I was fine on it.

I know I hate the lithium (side effects. >;[ weight gain, tremor, thirst, ect). I'm not sure how stable I've been, because I don't remember what I'm like without meds. So I can't tell you how well it's working.

My new-ish med person says there's a possibility I can switch from the lithium back to the lamictal. I dunno what to do. I'm afraid to stop taking the lithium, in case I get sick again, but I hate lithium so much.

I guess what I need is ... if any of you have taken either of these meds, how have they helped you, what problems have you had, what do you think is best? I know different meds work differently for different people, but any kind of input would help. I don't know what to do.

Sorry if this was confusing. xD

Ranger Fairy 13-04-2009 01:45 AM

I've taken both and still take Lithium, to honest I haven't have many side-effects with either except possible weight gain over time with the lithium. Thinking about it due to long term lithium treatment I have an under-active thyriod and have to be on a thyriod hormone replacement. For me Lamotrigine didn't work at all and Lithium orthough it can be a pain it keeps me well and out of hospital.

Personally I think from my experiance Lithium is for long term use and once your on it and it works you need to stay on it. It does have short and long term side-effects. Me personally I'd only use the lithium if everything else fails. Another problem with lithium is you can't start stop it as doing so is very dangerous if treatment is started you have to commint to staying on it if it works.

However as you said everyone is differant (like me, lithium keeps me sane and the benifits outweight the side-effects)
I hope you find a mood stabiliser that works for you. :)
*hugs*
xxx

Wellingtons 13-04-2009 10:54 AM

I take both - at the same time.

The lithium acts on the manic episodes, the lamotrigine on the depressive. They both seem to work really well for me - I've gone 19 months manic episode free, although I still get fairly depressed often, so I might see about having my lamotrigine upped.

And Lithium can't be switched and changed like prozac or other meds, it takes weeks/months to build up in your system. My psych made it clear that if I agreed to start taking it, then I couldn't come off it, as it really is a long-term thing. It completely alters your brain chemistry so you really can't mess around with it - it is a VERY dangerous drug.

Ami 13-04-2009 11:01 AM

Hey, ive only been on lamotrigine, not the lithium. But, i had no side effects except feeling a bit tired.

It worked for me, but it took quite a while.

I'd recommend the lamotrigine first, because it hasnt got the same amount of side effects as lithium, but i've not been on lithium so cant really say x

one lie at a time 13-04-2009 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daffodill (Post 1549050)
And Lithium can't be switched and changed like prozac or other meds, it takes weeks/months to build up in your system. My psych made it clear that if I agreed to start taking it, then I couldn't come off it, as it really is a long-term thing. It completely alters your brain chemistry so you really can't mess around with it - it is a VERY dangerous drug.

Someone once told me that if you stop taking it and re-start it, it won't be as effective. I dunno if this is true. But I'm worried if I stop it and the lamotrigine doesn't work, the lithium won't work as well. I think my med people would prefer it if I was on lamotrigine, though. Rather than lithium. Idk.

Wellingtons 13-04-2009 08:04 PM

Can you not suggest trying both? I'm on 600mg lithium and 150mg lamictal (as I'm in remission)

Ghostface 14-04-2009 03:21 AM

I used to be on 200 mg lamotrigine but I had to switch to orfiril after a while cause the the lamictal pills tasted so bad they made me sick. They make me more stable I think, but they also lock down all my emotions so...

one lie at a time 14-04-2009 10:08 PM

Yeah, I remember the taste. Little tiny pills with no coating.. yum.

I think I want to try lamictal again. Thank you all for your input. It really made me think. xxx