RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

girluninterrupted 22-02-2008 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terray (Post 28006)
The Things They Carried by Tim something, I'm helpful. :]

O'Brien
He also wrote Going after Cacciato...things they carried is awesome

girluninterrupted 22-02-2008 07:24 PM

I like to read!

I'm reading Mercy by Jodi Picoult (I've already read her books My Sister's Keeper, Vanishing Acts, The Pact, Plain Truth, and The Tenth Circle). I'm also reading Little Women for school (I'm on part 2). I just finished Pretties (the second book in the Uglies trilogy...which actually has 4 books now).

crazykat 23-02-2008 12:03 PM

I have just started reading Sickened by Julie gregory

linder surprise 23-02-2008 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Persephone Hazard (Post 573047)
I bought that because I was at Norwich train station and I'd finished my book and I had a four-hour train journey home ahead of me and it was the only thing in Smiths that wasn't the worst kind of chicklit. I thought it was going to irritate me but I seem to recall it was actually surprisingly good. This was summer 2006, mind, so I may be remembering it through rose-tinted glasses!

yeah, what happened was that i was in oxfam at work, and it was really dead. so i just picked up the book to read while i was working. i read it for about an hour and i was totally surprised by how good it was. i ended up buying it, obviously.
i guess probably because it's more than just "i got drunk this happened that happened i passed out" which is what i thought it was going to be. the writer addresses some different issues in it aswell.

random.swirls 25-02-2008 12:45 PM

Just about to start Alchymest by Paulo Coelho :)

Ileana 25-02-2008 01:45 PM

"Run with the hunted, a Bukowski reader" which has got a little bit of everything he did.

Steel Magnolia 27-02-2008 06:26 PM

Just finished "The Heroin Diaries" by Nikki Sixx and now Im reading girl, interrupted for like the zillionth time!

StaceyBee 28-02-2008 09:47 PM

I'm reading 'We Need To Talk About Kevin'
It's really hard to get into at the moment but I've been told it gets better

belle_xx 28-02-2008 10:18 PM

dracula, was AMAZING. i want to read atonement next. we need to talk about kevin is like the best book i've ever read
xo

J.K 28-02-2008 10:20 PM

I'm about 3/4 way through A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce, and I'm enjoying it. Though, it's a pretty heavy read at times it's still very good.

TheCon 02-03-2008 04:40 PM

J.K my English teacher adores James Joyce and has a picture of him on his classroom walls and frequently talks to the poster >.<

I'm currently reading the original novel of Sweeney Todd. It's really good, completely separate from the musical and movie though.
After it i'll be reading Dexter: Darkly Dreaming by Jeff Lindsay.

thesugarspider 02-03-2008 09:27 PM

I'm reading The Historian right now :]

Buttons. 02-03-2008 09:32 PM

I loved Dracula when I read it!!!

I'm currently reading Stephen Fry's autobiography Moab is my washpot and I adore it with a passion

Coulthart 02-03-2008 11:58 PM

The Discovery of Heaven, by Mulisch
it's an awesome book, I've read it six times now, and it still amazes me.

And to keep in that direction, I'm now reading Dante's La Divina Commedia. Only because I don't have enough money to buy a copy of Paradise Lost by Milton (I've read the divine comedy already).

monket 03-03-2008 05:05 AM

Currently reading: "The Witching Hour" by Anne Rice. Finished all the vampire novels, moving on to witches, haha.

random.swirls 03-03-2008 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fangurl (Post 590144)
I'm reading 'We Need To Talk About Kevin'
It's really hard to get into at the moment but I've been told it gets better

It does get better and is a brilliant book but I know my mum struggled with it till close to the end.

I've just read crying wind or something and now have a choice of 'intellectual books'

broken and defeated 03-03-2008 09:00 AM

ive just finished twilight,new moon and eclipse. the story follows a girl who falls in love with a vampire.

best books ever

Amy

kijam76 03-03-2008 09:28 AM

Just finished "The Bell Jar" - Sylvia Plath [which I found strangely relaxing and reassuring considering the author, guess im just weird :P] , and am currently reading "Heart of Darkness" - Joseph Conrad, and "Life of Pi" - Yann Martel

mesmerized. 03-03-2008 10:47 AM

I'm reading 'From the Edge of the Couch' by Dr Raj Persaud. It's really very boring so far, but hopefully it'll improve. I've only just started it.

Finally finished 'Brave New World' the other day (haven't had much time for reading =[), but it was really good. Definitely worth reading.

linder surprise 03-03-2008 01:07 PM

i'm going to have to read brave new world in the next couple weeks too (for uni).
i already had the lecture on it but i just sat there clueless cos i hadn't read it yet.
i hate uni :(.

Popple 09-03-2008 01:36 PM

I just started reading Damaged last night and it had me in tears..for various reasons..
but yeah it's just another thing thats persuading me to foster children when I'm older

linder surprise 09-03-2008 02:56 PM

ah, i speed read brave new world in like, one day.
well impressed with myself.
it was good. i liked it.

JumpinJackFlash 09-03-2008 09:38 PM

It rocks.

xfallenangel08x 09-03-2008 09:43 PM

John Locke's book, I forget what its called and I cba to go look lol.
Its...confusing.

Detour. Derail 09-03-2008 09:58 PM

'Candy' By Kevin Brooks.
Amazing book ^_^

mesmerized. 09-03-2008 11:00 PM

Pascal's Wager. I forget who it's by, and I can't be bothered finding out. 'Tis really interesting, though.

StaceyBee 09-03-2008 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by random.swirls (Post 597866)
It does get better and is a brilliant book but I know my mum struggled with it till close to the end.

I've just read crying wind or something and now have a choice of 'intellectual books'

I just finished it the other day and didn't even realise how far I was to the end til I looked
It's such a good book
I'd definitely read it again

nowhereman 10-03-2008 12:55 AM

My Sister Jodie by Jacqueline Wilson.

Devil Girl 10-03-2008 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xfallenangel08x (Post 615163)
John Locke's book, I forget what its called and I cba to go look lol.
Its...confusing.

I had to read some articles by John Locke in a philosophy module that I was doing. It was so difficult! Can't believe you are manageing to read a whole book! Philosophy still gives me nightmares!!!

I am currently reading a lot. Keep starting things and just giving up because I am still really struggling to read!

Eldest By Christopher Paolini
Life, Interrupted By James McConnel
Statistics Without Tears By Derek Rowntree (For uni!)
i, robot by Isaac Asimov
Mansfield Park By Jane Austen

Then on top of that I have my other uni books
1. Accounting book for management
2. Stats book for management (not the one mentioned above)
3. Economics book
4. Psychology book and sometimes stats for psychology!

ARGH!!! Its crazy! Got so much work to do!! ARGH!!!

Does anyone else find it hard to read for pleasure while at uni?

crazykat 10-03-2008 10:38 AM

I am reading Broken Open by Craig Hamilton

felicity 10-03-2008 11:49 AM

Currently, and for uni, I'm reading King Lear.
But in general, I'm reading;
Gormenghast - Mervyn Peake
1984 - George Orwell &
A is for Ox - Lyn Davies

linder surprise 10-03-2008 12:13 PM

the time traveller's wife.
mega good.

Shakespeare's Strumpet 10-03-2008 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by majik67 (Post 597926)
Just finished "The Bell Jar" - Sylvia Plath [which I found strangely relaxing and reassuring considering the author, guess im just weird :P] , and am currently reading "Heart of Darkness" - Joseph Conrad, and "Life of Pi" - Yann Martel

You have amazing taste in literature. <3 I love Sylvia.

I'm reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte at the moment...

NaiveRagDoll 10-03-2008 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Buttons~ (Post 596788)
I loved Dracula when I read it!!!

I'm currently reading Stephen Fry's autobiography Moab is my washpot and I adore it with a passion

I loved Moab is My Washpot when i read it :-D
I'm reading The Corfu Trilogy by Gerald Durrell.
x

DisenchantedxRomance 10-03-2008 03:33 PM

I finished "Charms for the easy life" but I can't remember the author. It's an amazing book, it's very motivating as well.

Tig 10-03-2008 03:35 PM

I'm currently reading 'Minding Children' which is an Irish fiction novel by William Wall. I'm finding it quite hard to get in to, it all seems a bit confusing to me and it's quite heavy but I think it would be a good read if I had more concentration!

beautiful&dying 10-03-2008 05:36 PM

I'm reading Happiness TM By Will Ferguson. It's a mockery of the self help industry and books that can't possibly work. The premise is that imagine if a self help book actually work, what that would do as ann impact on society, so it's interesting as well as entertaining and unputdownable.
xxxxx

XxXflowerfairyXxX 10-03-2008 06:51 PM

The American boy- tis about some man who falls in love with AE Poe's best mate's mum and cousin. It's awesome.

The virgin Suicides- Just started it.

Useless Information 101 10-03-2008 07:05 PM

I just finished Insomnia by Stephen King, Im in the middle of High Fidelity by Nick Hornby and I hope to start The Amber Spyglass (I can not find the damn thing anywheree) and The Unbearable Lightness of Being soooonnn.

Haha I love being swamped in books.

TheCon 11-03-2008 08:13 PM

ahh this thread is making me want to read so many books. i already have 4 lined up next. not enoughhh timeeeee.

Nicholas 11-03-2008 08:19 PM

Am currently reading 'The hunchback of notre dame' - Very good.

Speed read 'my side of the story' in a few hours; one of the best books.

Should be reading 'Queen of the damned' and 'Dissconnected'...but I keep on getting distracted...

linder surprise 11-03-2008 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxXflowerfairyXxX (Post 617329)
The virgin Suicides- Just started it.

oh. virgin suicides is one of my favourite books ever. top three definitley.

Wonderful. 12-03-2008 07:52 PM

Scarred- Sophie Andrew, Its a pretty sad :(
But it's quite high in the book chart for a book about self-harm o.0
xxx

Daydream 12-03-2008 08:26 PM

I got Get Well Soon by Julie Halpern today. I've already finished it, but then again, its only 180 pages or so. It was pretty good! I also got another book, I'll post more when I've finished it.

mesmerized. 12-03-2008 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCon (Post 620152)
ahh this thread is making me want to read so many books. i already have 4 lined up next. not enoughhh timeeeee.

Yup, I know the feeling. I have a huge pile of books waiting to be read, and I keep buying more ><

I finished 'Pascal's Wager' which was rather good, although the title was slightly misleading - there was one chapter on the wager, and the majority of it was on his scientific work (and how he tried to reconcile it with his religious beliefs). Good book, definitely worth reading.

Yesterday I read 'Darwin's Angel' by John Cornwell, which is a response to 'The God Delusion' written from the perspective of the guardian angel of various scientists from Darwin to Dawkins. It isn't a comprehensive counter-argument to all of Dawkins' claims, but then it isn't intended to be. It's a pretty easy read demonstrating some of the major flaws in his arguments and the poor quality of his research in many cases. If nothing else, it's amusing. It gets slightly too personal in places, perhaps, but to a far lesser extent than Dawkins himself, and overall it's a very good read.

Today I started reading 'Sexism & God-Talk' by Rosemary Radford Ruether. I haven't got too far yet, but it seems interesting - though I don't think I'm going to agree with much she says.

I need to find some slightly lighter bedtime reading, but I don't know what to choose. I got 'Behind the Scenes at the Museum' by Kate Atkinson a while ago and haven't read it, so I might start that soon. Anyone read it?

And yes, I'm sorry for posting so much information about books that probably no-one else is interested in, lol. I get a bit enthusiastic =/

amixlovesxcheryl 14-03-2008 11:26 PM

Im reading 'The perks of being a wallflower'

linder surprise 14-03-2008 11:48 PM

today i bought:
jeanette winterson - oranges are not the only fruit.
d.h. lawrence - lady chatterley's lover (for uni, blahh).
& kate chopin - the awakening
from this amazing second hand book shop near my house.

Buttons. 15-03-2008 11:44 AM

Liar-Stephen Fry, it's good so far but a tad disjointed and confusing

tamobhuuta 15-03-2008 12:03 PM

i'm 9 pages in to "the ground beneath her feet"

Daydream 15-03-2008 01:32 PM

I've just finished reading ""It's kind of a funny story" by Ned Vizzini. Its really awesome!