RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Support and Advice (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   GP appts. (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256289)

EyelinerAndCigarettes 22-08-2019 06:32 PM

GP appts.

Looking for a bit of advice or something.
I'm having some physical problems.

I've often had things put 'to one side' because of my MH and things are often put down to anxiety, or I just don't go because I'm scared I won't be listened to or believed or heard.
My support worker rang the GP for me and now I have a blood test booked and then a GP appt a few days later, and I'm quite scared I won't be able to articulate myself very well as I get so clammed up. My support worker is coming with me to both but when she called the GP surgery the GP spoke to her and then I still had to speak to the GP myself and I didn't describe things very well (I don't think).

I worry about the time I have too, there's a big sign in my surgery that says you're only allowed '1 problem' (and I'm not even sure what my problem is! It's just a list of symptoms!) and strictly 10 minutes maximum and that just puts so much pressure on me I stress out.

Just thinking about going is making me want to cancel the appointment but my support worker put it in her diary so I assume I have to go now as she's picking me up and taking me there. eugh.

I'm not sure what I'd like from this thread but a bit of cheerleading would be nice.

nonperson 22-08-2019 06:47 PM

I'm glad you have someone going with you.

You've got some time to think about things before the appointment so could you write some bullet points explaining your problem. Then you can reword it a few times until you feel you're explaining yourself correctly.

I wouldn't worry about the "1 problem" rule - I think it sounds like you're going to discuss one problem, even if it is multiple symptoms so you're perfectly ok to be discussing as much as you want to in those 10 minutes. The more info the doctor has, the easier it is for them to figure out what is wrong anyway.

You can do this. =)

one_step_closer 23-08-2019 11:05 AM

NP has some good advice there. You can do this! I'm sure you can also make a further appointment if you don't get through everything in the one appointment. I'm glad your support worker is coming, hopefully this will allow you to keep the appointment. It's definitely worth going. Mention that you worry about things being put to the side and seen as symptoms of anxiety and that you'd like the physical issues etc to be given proper consideration. Good luck.

The Worst Witch 23-08-2019 11:21 AM

Are you allowed to book double appointments? I’m not sure if everywhere offers it, but at my GP surgery you can ask for a double appointment (which would be 20 minutes) if you feel you need more time. I don’t know if everywhere offers it but was just an idea just in case your GPS surgery does

EyelinerAndCigarettes 24-08-2019 06:42 PM

Thanks, everyone.

I don't think I can change the appt to a double one now but that's definitely something I'll think about for future appointments. The list is a good idea, I'll have a go at that and get someone to help me as they're less likely to minimise things. I'll do my best to mention everything I can :)

Auror. 24-08-2019 10:00 PM

It sounds like as was suggested, your "one problem" so to speak is that you are having a number of abnormal to your body symptoms.

If instead you said something like, I'm having these abnormal symptoms, but ALSO BY THE WAY TOTALLY UNRELATED this symptom is happening, that would I think be more what they mean by separate problem. Like going in and saying something like, I've been having stomach pains but also I twisted my ankle and expecting them to be able to help with both in one go. That doesn't sound like what you are trying to do at all.

I'm really glad your support worker can go. The good news is if the GP is awful, at least it's a short appointment and you can be home quickly. Can you plan something nice and/or self soothing for after? I hope they can provide some answers for you.