RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

Devil Girl 28-03-2010 09:29 PM

I finished A Certain Age By Rebbecca Ray - it was okay, but nothing great. Considering I have wanted to read it for ages, I was dissappointed!

Also read Eating Disorders: The Path To Recovery - was relatively informative.

Now about 60 pages through Orlando By Virginia Woolf - liking it now, seeing a quirky, funny side emerging.

lozza 29-03-2010 04:55 AM

just finished "go ask alice" by anonymous - I liked it, really took you inside to her world... but I didnt like what happened right at the end
The following content has been hidden - Reason : spoiler

she decided to stop writing in her diary and 3 weeks later she was found dead... at the point when she made that choice to stop writing though she seemed to be in an ok, stable place... I think I found that really hard to deal with..

have just started reading speak by Laurie Halse Anderson - so far am liking it a lot!!!

Tig 29-03-2010 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_step_closer (Post 2208728)
Look Who It Is - Alan Carr.

That must be a hilarious read!

Revenge ~ Sharon Osbourne.

one_step_closer 29-03-2010 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tig (Post 2209505)
That must be a hilarious read!

I actually found it quite dull.

Now reading Mother's Ruin - Nicola Barry.

Yan-yan 31-03-2010 12:09 AM

I Read, "Daddy's Prisoner" and "Scarred" This week they are both really good, but scarred was the best I would defenitely recommend it.

I'm now reading "Today I am alice"

risenfromperdition 31-03-2010 12:19 AM

a book on classroom management >.>

silverfaerychild 31-03-2010 08:20 PM

Pandemonium by Daryl Gregory < author of The devils alphabet , this is his first book the other book i read was his second >

and Fruit basket Manga

kontroll 31-03-2010 10:14 PM

I just finished The Forest of the Hanged Foxes, and I'm reading Idas dans right now. Next up is The girl who kicked the hornets' nest.

Serenade 31-03-2010 11:20 PM

Finished The Cask of Amontillado by Poe the other day, good story but not particularly striking for him. Am just under a quarter through The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, interesting so far.

Snow-In-Wonderland 01-04-2010 06:44 PM

I'm reading 1984 by George Orwell and it's really good.

Wakeful Dreamer. 02-04-2010 03:47 AM

Jodi Picoult's The Pact. Again lol.

crazykat 02-04-2010 03:50 AM

I'm reading 'Today I'm Alice' by Alice Jamieson

one_step_closer 02-04-2010 07:11 PM

Just finished The World is Full of Laughter - Dolly Sen. Now reading My Left Foot - Christy Brown.

Piglet 02-04-2010 07:32 PM

I've just started reading 'The Memory Keeper's Daughter' by Kim Edwards

Serenade 02-04-2010 08:01 PM

Just over a quarter through The Book Thief by Markus Zusak now :-D

Asura 03-04-2010 09:55 AM

I just finished several french books.

Indiana by George Sand
La Chatte by Colette
Une Mort Très Douce by Simone de Beauvoir

Indiana was good. Despite how horrible I thought La Chatte was, it seems to be praised by critics. Une Mort... is really dense. Ah, gotta love existentialism.

Athiri 04-04-2010 04:26 AM

Just read The Stranger (or The Outsider, as my copy is called for some reason) by Albert Camus. I actually really liked it, despite having never heard of him before hand and having no knowledge of his philosophical work. ANNNND I realised half way through that there's a song by The Cure about it :D
Now I'm reading The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. It's okay so far, but his writing style annoys me a little to be honest.

one_step_closer 04-04-2010 01:37 PM

Sunbathing in the Rain, A Cheerful Book About Depression - Gwyneth Lewis.

Devil Girl 04-04-2010 09:18 PM

Just finished Orlando By Virginia Woolf - Was good, though I know I didn't understand it all.....

Dono what I will start now!

Zedebee 05-04-2010 07:16 PM

Just finished 'Somebody elses's kids' by Torey Hayden and loved it, it was one of the best things I've read for a while, one minute I'd be laughing, the next I'd be in tears.

J.Greens 05-04-2010 10:13 PM

Highly recommend 'One Day' by David Nicholls for RomCom fans.
Felt 'Mystery Man' by Bateman was quirky but dragged &
'The White Tiger' by Aravind Adiga ultimately disappoints.

Piper 06-04-2010 02:08 AM

Just finished Stolen by Lucy Christopher and reading Flyaway by her as well, she signed them XD

also half way through Cracked Up To Be by Courtney Summers

Sana-Mea 06-04-2010 11:01 AM

Recently finished 'Fragile Eternity' by Melissa Marr. It was good but Aislinn annoyed me. She misses Seth, so she randomly decides to have sex with Keenan? Am I the only one who doesn't get this? To Keenan's credit, he didn't. He might be sort of obnoxious at times, but he's a lot more...I dunno...trustworthy? Reliable? Whichever, Than the other summer fey.

I'm now reading Melissa's short story, Stopping Time. Gotta love Iri and Niall. Best fictional couple ever? Hell. Yes.

(Also most dysfunctional fictional couple/threesome if we inclide Leslie ever, but that's half the point. Each one of them wants the other two to be happy together, which is kind of weird but mostly sad and a little adorable.)

taz35 06-04-2010 10:08 PM

Just finished reading 'Cut' by Patricia McCormack... extremely captivating, but triggering. I'm about halfway through 'Perfect World' by Brian James right now.

Favorite from a few months ago - 'Impulse' by Ellen Hopkins... triggering, yet so real and so captivating. Really speaks to me.

Gone. 07-04-2010 11:28 AM

Reading 'The Lovely Bones' but it is taking me forever to actually finish.

one_step_closer 07-04-2010 11:58 AM

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - John Boyne.

Wonderful. 07-04-2010 12:51 PM

I finished reading A Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket a while ago, I did attempt to start the second because I have all the series, and have had them since I was like 12, but I got side-tracked, I reallyyyy wish I hadn't watched the film, I'd enjoy them so much more. I know they are childish, but I love the way they are written.

Also I just finished Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carrol. I've been wanting to read it for years, again I know it's a kids book, but I think it is quite a complicated book for a child to understand, but I loved it.

Now I'm reading The Girl in the Mirror by Cathy Glass. I love Cathy Glass, and this is her first novel so I thought I'd give it a try, not as good as her others though, I read each of them in a day I loved them so much, but this is okay, it kind of drags on a little bit.

I'm also half way through reading How to be Good by Nick Hornby, but I got side-tracked by Cathy Glass, but that is good so far.
I think I'll finish that next, then read The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen, I know it's a teen book, but I've really enjoyed her books in the past. =]

Devil Girl 07-04-2010 12:54 PM

Currently reading Trust me, I'm a Junior Dr By Max Pemberton

I am enjoying it. It is an easy read and just real (well it is) but yeah, the reality of it makes it funny.

lozza 08-04-2010 06:22 AM

Saving Samantha - Samantha C. Weaver

...so far am really enjoying it

charlieglasgow 08-04-2010 08:49 AM

just finished shutter island. *now* it all makes sense.

AutumnMoon 08-04-2010 10:05 AM

Finished reading A Thousant Spendid Suns by Khalad Hosseini and am now on the second book of His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman

Imperfect.Star 08-04-2010 10:38 AM

Oooh I love A thousand splendid suns!
I'm reading The Host by Stephanie Meyer - it's not like anything I would normally read but I'm actually really enjoying it.

LittleKitten 08-04-2010 11:26 AM

I'm reading Marked by P.C and Kirsten Cast (for about the tenth time) as well as The Wounded Guardian by Duncan Lay

J.Greens 08-04-2010 11:27 AM

Everyone keeps hyping ATSS, but I've got these! to get through before I buy anything new:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Penguin-Mode...0721976&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harry-Potter...722076&sr=8-13

The first I bought for I think £7!
The second were all bought separately but never read, haha!
I think that'll get me into August!

BeautyFiend 08-04-2010 12:13 PM

Just finished reading Perfume by Partick Suskind and i'd recommend it to anyone and everyone.
Amazingly written and SO hard to put down.

Devil Girl 08-04-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlieglasgow (Post 2227724)
just finished shutter island. *now* it all makes sense.

Hey, have you seen the film? If yes how do they compare? I want to read the book but have seen the film...

LittleKitten 08-04-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devil Girl (Post 2228078)
Hey, have you seen the film? If yes how do they compare? I want to read the book but have seen the film...

I read the book Shutter Island before I saw the film. I'd say, for a film, it follows the story pretty closely. You should definitely read the book if you can get your hands on it (it's still really hard to get a copy where I live, it sells out too quickly and the backorder at the library is Ward C insane).

one_step_closer 08-04-2010 06:57 PM

^^ I agree that it's definitely worth a read. I too read it before I saw the film.

I'm now reading Psychopath - Keith Ablow and The Borderline Personality Disorder Survival Guide - Alex Chapman and Kim Gratz.

Devil Girl 10-04-2010 12:18 PM

Lol, thanks, I will try get a copy of it! I really liked the film, so will add it my list of books to get round to reading! I have more than a years supply of books to get through just now though!

Currently reading Where Does it Hurt? What the Junior Dr Did Next By Max Pemberton

I am really enjoying it. It is writen in a different style to his first but still a very interesting read! Am half way through and will probably have it finished by tonight :)

The War Doctor 11-04-2010 06:25 PM

I finally finished reading Allen Ginsberg: A Biography by Barry Miles. I loved every word of it.

Now I'm reading Ulysses by James Joyce. Loving it so far, in all its modernistic weirdness.

one_step_closer 11-04-2010 06:47 PM

Choosing to Live: How to Defeat Suicide Through Cognitive Therapy - Thomas Ellis and Cory Newman.

Serenade 12-04-2010 09:32 PM

Still reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Coming up to halfway soon, it's a really interesting story so far.

one_step_closer 13-04-2010 11:08 AM

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff with Your Family - Richard Carlson.

one_step_closer 13-04-2010 02:29 PM

Voluntary Madness - Norah Vincent.

o_Abbie_o 13-04-2010 03:54 PM

Tess of the D'Ubervilles- Thomas Hardy for my english coursework :|

Devil Girl 13-04-2010 04:55 PM

Currently reading Good Girls Do Swallow By Rachael Oakes-Ash

It is so-so so far...

one_step_closer 15-04-2010 11:42 AM

Learned Optimism - Martin Seligman.

Annaberry 15-04-2010 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenade (Post 2236952)
Still reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Coming up to halfway soon, it's a really interesting story so far.

Oooh, that's in my book cupboard waiting to be read. Do you recommend it?

Devil Girl 15-04-2010 01:41 PM

Just finished Good Girls Do Swallow - was a quirky eating disorder book, different to the others I have read!

I am about to start Before I Die By Jenny Downham

one_step_closer 15-04-2010 07:03 PM

I really enjoyed Before I Die.