RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Self-Harm Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Share your tips for staying SH free (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3541)

jumping spider 26-08-2014 05:55 PM

It's been 11 years since I last SH (only one or two slip ups). What really helped was visualizing the reaction of someone who really loves me if they saw me. Also, occupying my hands with other things, going for a walk (even pacing) or just generally moving around or doing an activity that prevented me physically from being able to SH, and could also cause endorphin release to help feel better such as running.

LovedSecureFree 26-05-2015 01:28 PM

I found card making, playing a musical instrument or doing a jigsaw helpped me as it kept my hands busy. For keeping my mind busy I did sudoku puzzles, word searches and other puzzles like that.

xxmoonxraverxx 31-05-2015 12:49 AM

freerice.com
it's a great distraction. you answer academic questions to give free rice to starving kids.

yomo 24-06-2015 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxmoonxraverxx (Post 3926547)
freerice.com
it's a great distraction. you answer academic questions to give free rice to starving kids.

Love this! Some things that I do include:
- chew gum
- crochet
- paint my nails
- scribble on a piece of paper
- do squared breathing (in for 4 counts, hold for 4 counts, out for 4 counts, hold for 4 counts, etc.)

xxmoonxraverxx 11-10-2015 06:25 PM

well, this weekend i wanted to SH so instead i printed out a bunch of inspirational quotes and glued them to my therapy folder. it was nice seeing those quotes and it was a craft to get my mind off things :)

TrashChild 11-10-2015 11:35 PM

I write in a diary. Getting things down on paper when you feel as though you have nobody to talk to helps me a lot.

Scenekid2015 13-10-2015 03:44 AM

I am still dealing with the urges but I found that the best way to deal with it is to listening to your favorite music or writing or drawing how you feel really helps. I hope these methods at least sort of work for you guys 😄

Gemli 18-12-2015 09:31 PM

2 1/2 yrs SH free now, but still use my strategies, favourites include 'just dance' game, going for a walk and counting red cars or mindless games like candy crush :)

hellokitty69 09-01-2016 08:40 AM

Tattooos!!!

OmegaWolf86 01-02-2016 01:21 AM

Video games, good distraction and fun.
Drawing, really helps me express emotions and makes me feel like I'm doing someone constructive.

Mysterious_Q 18-03-2016 11:31 PM

same. i ride my bike a lot and it keeps my mind off things

hellokitty69 28-03-2016 08:26 PM

using my soothe box, getting a bit of peace in my room, the bathroom is out of bounds lol, chatting to staff. taking prn.

MyLastKiss 02-06-2016 07:58 PM

Tattoos works for me

Beside that stay sober and don't do drugs

greyhopper 04-06-2016 12:10 PM

By rewarding yourself for achievemtns you've done. For instance if you've gone a week free then reward yourself. Then say to yourself you will rewward yourself if you do another 2 weeks etc. Giving you something to focus on and also the reward being something you really want.

greyhopper 04-06-2016 01:22 PM

[quote=greyhopper;4038696]By rewarding yourself for achievemtns you've done. For instance if you've gone a week free then reward yourself. Then say to yourself you will rewward yourself if you do another 2 weeks etc. Giving you something to focus on and also the reward being something you really want.[/

so when my friends come over I have them write encouraging messages to me. They help me to remember that there are people who care. I'm pretty sure the paint can be found at either a local craft store or hardware store. I'm not quite sure where my dad got it,

greyhopper 08-06-2016 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mysterious_Q (Post 4018815)
same. i ride my bike a lot and it keeps my mind off things

yes thats the same situation i have when i ride my bike a lot and it keeps my minds off things and its so amazings

mantishugo 08-06-2016 07:10 AM

One of the most effective mind distraction thing is playing video game. You can play it hours-together without getting bored. However, you must keep in mind the health of your eyes. Give it a rest by rubbing your palms and applying them on your eyes for few seconds. It gives the eyes great relief.

Falmer2016 16-08-2016 06:03 PM

I find playing a video game that easily absorbs my attention really, really works. But then I end up spending 4 hours on a game : )

aka: 05-09-2016 05:23 AM

I have been sh free for quite some time now but on occasion I struggle a bit. One thing that I've recently discovered, which I find to be very therapeutic in any circumstance, is making pompoms. Typically if I am out of the house I will sketch. I carry a sketchbook with me everywhere and it helps me to focus and it keeps my hands busy. However, if I'm at home or work I will craft pompoms. I have small discs (and large discs) and lots of yarn to create them and the end result is always rewarding.

achaean 23-03-2018 04:42 AM

Even though I've been SH free for almost a decade, I still have days where I need to pull out a few of my old tricks, and a couple new ones: Immersing myself in a book, cranking music up and just dancing, or looking at the tattoo I got when I hit my four year free mark help. As does cuddling with my rescue cat, or more and more, running.