RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Self-Harm Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   I have relapsed (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215064)

Sharmayla 28-10-2013 10:55 PM

I have relapsed

Hi. I've been away for awhile. I've relapsed and can't stop pulling out my scalp hair. I need help. Thank you.

lau_83 28-10-2013 11:21 PM

Almost everybody relapses at some point, it's part of recovery. It doesn't mean you have failed by any means. Do you know whats triggered this latest episode? Is there anything you would like to talk about?

Sharmayla 30-10-2013 01:49 AM

Hi Laura. I never know what triggers it. I am totally out of touch with my feelings. Does that make any sense? I've been doing this for about 46 yrs. I'm 56 now.

Sharmayla 05-11-2013 11:33 PM

Nobody here does this??

lau_83 05-11-2013 11:47 PM

I'm sure a lot of people do it.

LostLostLost 06-11-2013 01:38 AM

Ive been there

Ive been where you are, its natural, it happens. If you need to talk, or someone to listen, You can email me at gjessaday@gmail.com Id love to hear from you. Stay strong.(:

Sharmayla 06-11-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostLostLost (Post 3681999)
Ive been where you are, its natural, it happens. If you need to talk, or someone to listen, You can email me at gjessaday@gmail.com Id love to hear from you. Stay strong.(:

Aww thanks! I'm okay at the moment. It's weird how one day it'll be really really bad, and the next day I'm okay. Awful weird. If it gets real bad again, I'll take you up on that. Thanks!

Lone Star 07-11-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharmayla (Post 3681905)
Nobody here does this??

That depends... most of us have relapsed, but I'm guessing not many pull out strands of hair, which is odd since there's a medical term for hair pulling (Trichotillomania). I guess some people don't consider it a form of self harm, but rather another issue within itself.

Anyways, I can't relate to you on the hair part (mostly because I cut my hair so frequent, it's always short), but I can feel your pain on needing to do something and not being able to stop. IDK if you still feel the urge, but I highly recommend that you try to distract yourself from doing that. If it's the sensation you want to feel, do the rubber band trick where you wear a rubber band and you flick it on your wrist to feel some sort of "pain". I know it's still technically sh to some, but it would help you distract from your hair.

Sharmayla 14-11-2013 04:40 PM

I have had so much trouble with my computer lately. Thank you, Olds, for your advice, but I'm absolutely sure I would find a way to pull WHILE I'm flicking the dang rubber band... I've known the medical term for it since I was a child. (I've always been a reader!) I understand it IS considered a form of self harm. Why would any girl want to do this to herself? I've been doing it since around age ten.

Sharmayla 14-11-2013 04:42 PM

I even did it when I had extremely short hair, and even when I wore something on my head. (I would just reach underneath whatever I was wearing). I'm a stubborn one.

Sharmayla 14-11-2013 04:43 PM

I'm sure I started it due to stress, as a self-soothing thing. My sibs and I were neglected and abused.

Sharmayla 14-11-2013 04:44 PM

My dad sure didn't neglect to abuse us! haha

crazykat 14-11-2013 05:40 PM

I don't have experience in hair pulling but your right it is a form of self-harm. I found a list of tips that could help that someone else with this condition has put together, here is a link. Have you ever received any support/counselling for the abuse you went through?

Sharmayla 14-11-2013 11:44 PM

Hi crazykat. Thanks for the link!. Yes, I have received counseling regarding the neglect and abuse. I even had that EMDR, and I take meds for PTSD OCD and depression and generalized anxiety disorder.

Sharmayla 14-11-2013 11:48 PM

I just now put that link in my favorites list so I can read it every day. Thank you. :-)

crazykat 15-11-2013 01:13 PM

I hope you find the link helpful. Does your counsellor know about the hair pulling?

Sharmayla 15-11-2013 06:46 PM

Oh yes. Definitely. That's the reason I started going. Yes the link is very helpful. I like the suggestion about telling yourself "all my hair belongs on my head."

FranticMind 16-11-2013 09:27 PM

i used to do hair pulling when i was stressed out when IP, so you are nto alone in this hun.

Sharmayla 17-11-2013 09:50 PM

Thank you, FranticMind! :-)