RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Self-Harm Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Share your tips for staying SH free (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3541)

Margo 10-06-2007 08:34 PM

Share your tips for staying SH free

Hi all. Firstly well done to everyone who has quit and is on the path to recovery!

Its really inspiring seeing and reading all the success stories!

I thought it might be kinda nice to have a thread where people can write down their tips and secrets for staying SH free. How you overcome the urges and how you begin to start to cope without SH. Then hopefully others (like myself) can get inspired from it too and we can all learn from each-other.

Shambles 10-06-2007 09:27 PM

Nice Idea!

I find not counting days works better for me. I mean *technically* i'm not recovering, but I find when i don't put pressure on myself, or try to measure success in days, i get further!

xxx

TheSuffererComplex 10-06-2007 09:29 PM

getting out a lot has helped me not cut a few times. Just go somewhere where you know you'll be safe, and just have a fun time.

cant-stop-myself 10-06-2007 10:32 PM

It helps me to count the days then I can see how far I have come, and how much I would throw away if I gave up.

Just spending time with my horse when I have such urges helps me.

lostdoll 10-06-2007 11:52 PM

Even though I'm currently not quitting, I suggest that people find something that works and STICKS with it.

Red pen sometimes worked for me. Texting a friend when things got tough helps too. Just talking to someone or typing things out, getting things out of your system in a healthy way.

emily.ily9 11-06-2007 03:04 AM

calling someone, so my hands were physically occupied and my brain was off the subject, has been really helpful.

great idea for a thread by the way :]

TheSuffererComplex 11-06-2007 01:52 PM

music and video games usually work too... it's all about doing something to keep your hands busy

J.K 11-06-2007 02:46 PM

Definitely going out with people who you really like and whos company you enjoy helps. Doing things that you really enjoy, along with listening to music, reading a good book or watching a film. Just trying to calm down and relax as best you can, I think.

Useless Information 101 11-06-2007 06:23 PM

Staying away from a particular place where you normally cut, helps for me. If I have a bad urge I stay away from my bedroom for awhile, even if it means camping out in the bathroom with a book :-P.

Do anything that distracts you, no matter how silly. Ive spent hours browsing through wikipedia.org, looking up the randomest things.

Set a goal and stick to it, it helps keeping that in mind. For instance say to yourself "Im going to go a week without SH". Then when you make that goal reward yourself (not by cutting!) and make another.
Setting goals has probably been the main thing that has kept me SI free.
Make sure you have a good support system as well.

LittleBabyNothing 11-06-2007 07:49 PM

Do things that you know are going to upset you and stress you out but make sure you don't have anything that you could hurt yourself with. The more you encounter stressy situations without being able to cut you learn to deal with them instead and eventually hurting yourself doesnt even become an issue.

If you avoid certain situations then your never going to learn to cope and realise that it's not really that bad.

Ami 11-06-2007 08:46 PM

I find the whole "if i get through 15 minutes, then I can cut after"
and saying the same thing after them 15 minutes too, and sometimes the urges have past.
x

ikle me 11-06-2007 09:00 PM

I love this thread, would you all like it stickied as a quick reference?

Personally I don't count. It means it is not constantly on my mind.

Margo 12-06-2007 06:50 PM

I think that would be rather splendid! :)

192 12-06-2007 07:42 PM

i count, days hours minutes... whatever it takes to remind me i cant screw up and start over or when that doesnt work i leave the house taking nothing with me- just walk out and dont come back til its safe
i've also promised myself i could get a tattoo if i go a year, sometimes i sketch what i want the tattoo to look like to distract myself

abcdefgpie 15-06-2007 09:51 AM

come on here.
rant, post in serious discussion, or go on f&d.

or just go out and see your friends.
don't tell them why you need to be out and about, just say you'd like to meet up, anyone free.

abcdefgpie 15-06-2007 09:52 AM

also, remembering how you feel after you cut - not the relief immediately after/during, but the shame, hurt, guilt etc.
it's a bad feeling and mostly people want to avoid feeling like that.
but then again, different people cope in different ways and this one especially could trigger people even more.

Sofie 15-06-2007 06:16 PM

Internet, talking to friends & playing computer games works for me.

revenge 15-06-2007 06:33 PM

i try and talk to my friend when i feel like cutting
she really helps =)

confuzzled 15-06-2007 08:50 PM

By rewarding yourself for achievemtns you've done. For instance if you've gone a week free then reward yourself. Then say to yourself you will rewward yourself if you do another 2 weeks etc. Giving you something to focus on and also the reward being something you really want.

That's what works for me =) xx

__T 15-06-2007 09:18 PM

Any sort of physical exercise distracts me from doing something i shouldnt. I'd recommend it to anyone, not only does it distract, but it also makes you a healthier/slimmer person :)

Also, do what chloe said (Y)