RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

froot_loop 07-06-2007 09:53 PM

i just finished Borderliners by Peter Hoag. (o has funny scandinavian slash thingy through it but i couldn't figure out how to do that). it was this really odd story about children who are societal "borderliners" placed as an experiment at a prestigious danish private boarding school in the 70's. it also contains a lot of musings on society, fitting in, and most of all about time. i liked it a lot.

next thing i have to read is War and Peace. for school. NOT looking forward to that.

FlightlessBird 07-06-2007 11:35 PM

Have you finished Eldest? Cause oh my holy twist batman! Anyway, I'm reading Blackwood Farm by Anne Rice at the moment

Artyom 08-06-2007 07:56 AM

im reading the marilyn manson autobiography "the long hard road out of hell" or whatever its called.
good book.
just finished Stranger then fiction by chuck palahniuk.

crazykat 08-06-2007 01:32 PM

I am currently reading NIneteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult and would highly recommend it

nowhereman 08-06-2007 03:01 PM

The Big brother Story by Narinder from bb2.

~ Mandy ~ 08-06-2007 04:54 PM

Baggage by Emily Barr.

whispers 08-06-2007 05:10 PM

'Screwtape Proposes a Toast' by CS Lewis. Really good, very thought-provoking.

Also, '44 Scotland Street' by Alexander McColl Smith. Lovely book <3

Devil Girl 08-06-2007 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DravenStar (Post 44380)
Have you finished Eldest? Cause oh my holy twist batman! Anyway, I'm reading Blackwood Farm by Anne Rice at the moment

I still haven't finished Eldest! Just can't seem to get into it, thats why I am trying other books...but hoping to finish it before Harry potter comes out, else I will never get it done!

Sofie 08-06-2007 07:28 PM

The last book I read (finished last Saturday) was Sandra Gregory's Foget You Had A Daughter

Yume.No.Chikara 09-06-2007 05:20 PM

Angels and Demons - Dan Brown....Am loving it...but then i love all his books!!

SugarKane 09-06-2007 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofie (Post 46629)
The last book I read (finished last Saturday) was Sandra Gregory's Foget You Had A Daughter

oooh is that the one about the girl who gets imprisoned in Thailand or something? Read it a while ago, was good

Psiren 09-06-2007 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DravenStar (Post 44380)
I'm reading Blackwood Farm by Anne Rice at the moment

Anne Rice books ftw. <3
That just reminded me I need to dig out all my Vampire Chronicles books for the summer holidays :-D

Hannah_x 09-06-2007 10:38 PM

I'm reading The Stand by Stephen King for like the fourth time.
It's ridiculously long but God it's worth the read.

My favourite book of all time is It by Stephen King, which again is ridiculously long but worth it.

I have a thing about long books, more than 1000 pages and I'm sold.

x

Missy_Mali 09-06-2007 10:38 PM

I'm reading Every Dead Thing by John Connolly at the mo'. 'Tis rather good, but I've still got 3/4 to go :P

whispers 09-06-2007 10:40 PM

Same as before, but I've also started Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. :)

CoffinNail 10-06-2007 01:25 PM

The last book I finished was The Girls Who Went Away by Ann Fessler. It's about young women that became pregnant and were sent away to unwed mother's homes during 1947-1973. What they went through before, during and after they surrendered their child. It's a very enlightening book on the subject. It really enables you to see the situation from the mother's point of view.

I'm currently reading Crank by Ellen Hopkins. This one is about a girl named Kristina. She's pretty much a good girl gone "bad". She lives with her mom & step-dad in a nice neighborhood, has good friends, gets good grades, etc. Then the summer before her junior year of high school, she starts have problems w/ her mom. So she decides to get in contact with her deadbeat dad, and later moves in with him. There she meets a guy, her first love, who introduces her to crank aka "the monster"........
You have to read it to find out the rest!

camybaby 10-06-2007 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hannah_x (Post 49967)
I'm reading The Stand by Stephen King for like the fourth time.
It's ridiculously long but God it's worth the read.

My favourite book of all time is It by Stephen King, which again is ridiculously long but worth it.

I have a thing about long books, more than 1000 pages and I'm sold.

x

i liked It, apart from the book is unnecisarily long, i pretend the protagonist wasnt a writer and I pretend the unrealistic orgy never happened. Its a good book though.

Currently reading Dante's Divine Comedy.

Ileana 10-06-2007 09:43 PM

I just read "Lullaby" by Chuck P. and am now reading Milton's "Paradise lost" and "House of leaves" both are amazing, so far.

TheSuffererComplex 10-06-2007 09:54 PM

I'm reading 1408 by Stephen King.

I just finished The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King. Great stuff

New Slang 10-06-2007 09:55 PM

^^ I'm reading Paradise Lost by Milton as well.
It's a bit of a joke to be honest, takes me about 7 minutes per page :|

I'm also reading Post Office by Bukowski. It's really good.