RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mental Health Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   The Borderline Personality Disorder Thread (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42676)

Bleeding Angel 07-04-2008 09:47 PM

The Borderline Personality Disorder Thread

16/6/2010 -IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. Im putting this here so hopefully hovering over will make you read this. This thread has been going for a few years now and while alot of us are regulars we welcome new people into the thread. But this is a support thread and recently people seem to be using the thread just for support. Remember guys we have to give and take, its not fair to come in and post for support only or to dip in for support only. We all struggle in this thread and we do the best we can so can you please keep in mind that this thread works both ways? We welcome new members and we are happy to support people, but this thread works both ways.

Ok there are alot of threads floating about, about what BPD is and if other people have it.

I thought it might be a good idea to make one single thread where people can ask questions, talk about thier disorder openly with other members who experiance the exact same thing, rather than new threads being started every so often asking the same questions.

To thoese who do not know what BPD is looky here and here.

(please note, if you think you may have BPD its important to talk to a doctor about it, as you cannot self-diagnose)

So come on in, take a seat, and open up about your disorder, we are here to help after all :laugh:

Im also going to add this part on the treatment of bpd here. If anyone has soom good websites or tips on how to cope with bpd feel free to post them =)

Sarika 07-04-2008 11:47 PM

*hops in*

I've got BPD and bipolar (lucky lucky). Just thought I'd pop in and say hi.

*..life in pain..* 08-04-2008 06:12 AM

hi.

i haven't been diagnosed, but i have some traits.

Stellata 08-04-2008 06:59 AM

Great idea, Mari.

I have Borderline traits, but they're all tied up with other stuff...

Delicious-Malicious 08-04-2008 07:13 AM

I've had BPD for awhile now, long before I was diagnosed.
It sucks.

romancandle 08-04-2008 08:32 AM

Good idea to have an informative threat on BPD as a whole, seeing as there are many threads floating around.

I may not have BPD, but I have encountered a few who have this disorder in my life. I can relate to quite a few things though, because I do have Bipolar Disorder and some symptoms can be slightly similar.

***** 08-04-2008 09:17 AM

I think I may have it ... I'm thinking of asking my therapist/doctor about getting a diagnosis but I'm scared they'll think I'm over reacting or something ...

Any one know what the best way is to handle this? I'd rather not say that I think I have BPD , but to get a diagnosis of somthing in general...

Bleeding Angel 08-04-2008 02:15 PM

It ok to say to them you think you may have this because you match some of the criteria, the thing with BPD is, it can be misdiagnosed alot, eith because people asumme self-harming means you must have it, or because the criteria is close to a few other illness.

It is a wise idea to ask them what they think may be wrong with you.

Heck if i didnt ask i would have never found out, i had it for years and didnt know because no one told me, and i wasnt aware id actully have to ask, i thought they would just tell me.

It may also be the case they have diagnoised you and havent told you.

Sarika 08-04-2008 02:26 PM

I wouldn't have known that I was dx'd if I didn't request my medical records...sometimes doctors don't want to tell you about the diagnose because they don't know how you'll react (especially to a BPD dx).

Despite medication (even though it's intended for my bipolar half), I haven't found any relief regarding my anger outburts. What I have found that works is knowing when I'll get one. I get these "warning signs" so I know when it's going to happen. My chest tightens, I start to shake, and my heart rate increases. I know I have to leave the area, and when I get away I then cope with it. Music helps alot, so does screaming into a pillow. Just how I deal with *shrugs*

shellz1986 08-04-2008 02:32 PM

I have BPD, it has been six years since i was diagnosed. This thread is a great idea!

Shelley x

Bleeding Angel 08-04-2008 02:59 PM

i think im the same with the anger, or episodes as i like to call them, once i get riggered i get angry and impulsive, the only thing i can do right now is take mediaction to make me sleep.

***** 08-04-2008 03:14 PM

Ok thanks for the advice, I'll ask ...

*..life in pain..* 08-04-2008 03:14 PM

I get angry at people so easily, but i don't show it. i mean i can be really angry about the silliest things. the way they looked at me, or how they do their hair and it triggers me to say to myself 'that person is so annoying, i hate them' but i don't tell other people im angry at them, cuz im too afraid of rejection and abandonment, so i don't tell them cuz im afraid they will leave me.

Tig 08-04-2008 04:49 PM

I have a couple of the bpd traits although I'm not diagnosed with it. I'm about to start DBT though to help with the traits I do have =)

***** 08-04-2008 05:25 PM

Pfff... I asked my doctor/therapist for a diagnoses (for anything, didn't say I thought I had borderline) and he won't ... I get why he won't but still, I want to know!

Sarika 08-04-2008 05:29 PM

Irene- I get the same way...it's over the stupidest things. How people look, how they chew their food, how they breathe! Unlike you though, I can't control it that easily...although it's not that healthy too hold it in either. You should let your anger out in a healthy way.

And about the doctors...they won't give you information which can be harmful to you. Your doctor obviously believes that a diagnosis could do that to you. Either that or he has no clue what you have...kidding :)

***** 08-04-2008 05:36 PM

No he just thinks that giving a diagnoses to anyone isn't a good thing ... but he did sort of slip that he could think of things but he just won't tell me! And I'm really sick of not knowing!

And I get that to ... the way some people chew drives me crazy! But I also hold my anger in (which I agree isn't that healthy either)

Bleeding Angel 08-04-2008 05:49 PM

If you are over 18 you have a right to know, you can request to see your medical notes if you want. I can understand at the same time why they wouldnt want to tell you, i was far happier knowing i didnt have bpd, being told was like getting hit in the face by a ton of bricks.

The one thing i hate about bpd, is the reluctence the medical people have with me, the only thing they will do is give me pills, they refuses to do anything else saying it wont work. They also told me that i was "uncurable"

Its why for me it felt like i was being given a life sentence with no means of recovery.

cutupangel09 08-04-2008 05:55 PM

I've been told that I was most like BPD but they didn't want to diagnose me until I was an adult because those things can change and maybe it is just all my problems mixing together.

***** 08-04-2008 05:58 PM

I'm 19 ... but I could go and ask a diagnoses somewhere else but then my therapist now is one of the first to get through to me... so I don't know. Maybe I'll tell him next time that I still want to know or something...