RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Support and Advice (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Helicobacter pylori (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187126)

High School Scars 25-04-2012 10:02 PM

Helicobacter pylori

Does anybody have this/been treated for it?
I have recently been diagnosed and am concerned about the larg esection on cancer in the information booklet...

Nargles 26-04-2012 12:05 AM

Hey :) I've never had H pylori but got tested last year. It very rarely causes cancer. It's an infection that only causes symptoms in about 20% of people with it which means lots of people get it without even realising and never get treated. But the majority of those people don't develop cancer. The increased risk of cancer is really nothing to worry about though, especially if you're being treated. Hope you're feeling better soon :)

squirrelspit 26-04-2012 12:20 AM

Over half the worlds population have it in their systems i think.

Dont worry too much, everything causes cancer now a days.

High School Scars 26-04-2012 09:52 AM

I was tested because I have symptoms, but no ulcers at present. My grandfather had stomach cancer which is why I'm concerned I guess as he was young(ish) when he was diagnosed.

Is there a genetic connection in ulcers as both grandmothers, two great grandmothers and my own mother have had them and I myself am female...

Animad 05-05-2012 07:47 PM

Really, as far as I am aware there is no genetic connction between stomach ulcers. Quite a large number of people do get them at some point in their life and they can be exacberarated by the use of anti-inflammatories or some other meds as well as H pylori. Really, a lot of leaflets and similar tend to have a large portion attatched to cancer partly to cover their back so you can't say 'I wan't informed' as well as people tend to focus on that so it seems to take up a bigger proportion then it actually may do. An awful lot of things can lead to cancer and really there is a potential but I wouldn't worry about it (especially given stress can in itself lead to worsening of stomach ulcers!).

I'm going to move this to General Support and Advice as it seems you are asking for support regarding this and find someone else who may have/ have had it so that is probably the best place for it to be. If you want it moving back here then feel free to contact the mods

sherlock holmes 07-05-2012 04:04 PM

I'm currently on lansoprozole which I think is one of the treatments for it? I have general gastritis really, not sure if caused by the bacteria or not.

Nargles 07-05-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherlock holmes (Post 3216396)
I'm currently on lansoprozole which I think is one of the treatments for it? I have general gastritis really, not sure if caused by the bacteria or not.

Lansoprazole reduces the amount of acid in the stomach. Drs usually use a ppi (such as lansoprazole) and antibiotics together to treat H pylori :)