RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   First Aid Advice (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   'Funny turns' (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242175)

Cacoethes 26-08-2016 09:09 PM

'Funny turns'

I've been getting these 'funny turns' (as my nanny would call them!)
Usually I only get one but today I had two quite close together.
My hearing starts to go, then my vision goes and I get incredibly dizzy and naseous. It lasts for probably 5-10 minutes and it's really horrible. It feels like I'm going to pass out.
I haven't done anything out of the ordinary today. I don't know what it could be.
Should I see my gp or should I just kind of deal with them when they happen?

Elmer 27-08-2016 11:04 AM

Could it be related to your epilepsy? My sister has epilepsy and used to have similar attacks.

Cacoethes 27-08-2016 12:40 PM

It could be. Didn't think of that!

Unbreakable. 27-08-2016 01:41 PM

I've felt similar to what you‘ve described during panic attacks or when my blood pressure was low/I was dehydrated.

I know you don't want to hear this, but, mention it to a doctor. If it's infrequent and you don't actually faint (because that would put you at risk to get injured) I guess just bring it up next time you see them.

Cacoethes 27-08-2016 03:58 PM

I don't think it was a panic attack because I was just sitting in a pub garden with a friend. Wasn't anxious or anything.

I'll try and get an appointment at some point. I asked about this on my epilepsy support group and they suggested it could be vertigo or some kind of complex partial seizure but they usually last only a few minutes and these episodes last quite a while.
But yeah, I'll make an appointment or try to get a telephone appointment.
Its getting more frequent now and it's very unpleasant!

sherlock holmes 27-08-2016 04:47 PM

I'd definitely tell a GP! I wonder if either its related to epilepsy, or maybe your blood sugar going weird as I know that's happened before.

Cacoethes 27-08-2016 05:28 PM

It could be blood sugar. You're right, I have had issues with that before.

Unbreakable. 27-08-2016 06:34 PM

Can you keep a log about when it happens, how long it lasts, what you were doing at the time, what you have been eating and when and how you were feeling in general?

Bloodsugar is a reasonable suspect, Conor has mentioned before that low blood sugar feels very similar to an anxiety or panic attack.

Cacoethes 27-08-2016 07:04 PM

That's a good idea. I'll try and remember to keep a log of these episodes.

Buttons. 28-08-2016 04:49 PM

As said I've known people with epilepsy who had similar episodes. I think GP might be the best bet. I think the log idea is good too.

Cacoethes 28-08-2016 05:33 PM

Thanks Katy

Buttons. 28-08-2016 07:28 PM

No problem lovely.

Wonderland. 28-08-2016 09:32 PM

To add to what everyone else has said I just wonder whether it could that the weather is having an impact on you. I know you have to be careful about your epilepsy in the heat. And if it's anything like it is here one day it's lovely weather the next day it rains non stop, which gives me migraines.

Cacoethes 29-08-2016 09:54 AM

That's a good point. It was very hot that day and I was sitting outside for a long time.

yoyogirl 27-09-2016 07:52 PM

I would definitely speak to your gp about it, as it may something that is really simple and easy to fix.