RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

invisible_x 14-10-2008 01:06 PM

Crank - Ellen Hopkins
Recently finished Impulse, by Ellen Hopkins, which was good but slightly triggering.

linder surprise 14-10-2008 01:50 PM

i am still reading we need to talk about kevin. it makes me quite sad that it is taking me so long. i'm only halfway through.
it is quite good though. it's much more detailed and kindof a bit intelligent. moreso than i thought it would be.

PrincessVegeta_x 16-10-2008 01:53 AM

Hehe, I am currently reading Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer. I love it! And I'm obsessed with Edward, as you can probably tell.

Delphina 16-10-2008 11:09 AM

Just finished Breaking Dawn. Loved it!!! Anyone know when the sequel is out?!

Read To Ride Pegasus by Anne Mc Affrey now - also excellent!

PrincessVegeta_x 16-10-2008 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delphina (Post 1156077)
Just finished Breaking Dawn. Loved it!!! Anyone know when the sequel is out?!

Hey, Breaking Dawn is the last book in the saga. I only know of one new book, Midnight Sun. It's Twilight from Edward's perspective, but she's stopped writing it because the first few chapters got leaked online. I hope she continues with it. I'm not reading the beginning, I refuse. I'll be so upset if it doesn't get published in the end.
:ermm:

ImaginaryFiend 16-10-2008 12:29 PM

The twighlight series are awesome books, I can't wait for the movie ^_^

Just finished Finding Darcy, about family secrets and bullying basically

Am reading Slash: The Autobiography

Mean as hehe

Ejunknown 16-10-2008 06:05 PM

Demon Diary! Its awesome!

mesmerized. 16-10-2008 06:17 PM

I just finished 'Home Truths' by Sara Maitland, which was pretty good. Although irritating because you don't get to find out what really happened at the enddd. Which is upsetting to me =P

I'm about to start 'Patience & Sarah' by Isabel Miller. Looks interesting.

Haha. I should really spend more time reading the books I have to for uni!

blue_kk 16-10-2008 06:24 PM

i just baught cut by cathy glass ill let yous know how it goes

Devil Girl 16-10-2008 08:28 PM

Reading Next to Nothing

and

Wuthering Heights (for uni)

plus psychology, and management stuff...

the_dead_romantic 17-10-2008 11:11 PM

some random manga

Useless Information 101 18-10-2008 03:16 AM

Im reading the last book in the vampire chronicles about Lestat...Memnoch the devil. Just the premise of it sounds like rice is jumping the shark but I have to finish the series.

And I needed a vampire fix anyway hahaha

one_step_closer 18-10-2008 11:03 AM

Vanishing Acts - Jodi Picoult

~ Mandy ~ 18-10-2008 07:04 PM

The Hitman Diaries - Danny King.

Siouxsie 18-10-2008 07:07 PM

Sara's Face - Melvin Burgess

The War Doctor 18-10-2008 07:20 PM

I just finished readin The Lord Of The Rings by JRR Tolkien, it was the first time I read the whole thing. I actually felt sad when I finished it, not just because of the sad ending, but because I'd come to the end of the greatest story ever told.

At the moment I'm reading The Dark Tower-Volume VII by Stephen King... and once again I'm saddened by the knowledge that I'll soon finish yet another truly epic story.

sherlock holmes 19-10-2008 09:15 PM

Twilight <3

Kitsch 20-10-2008 05:58 PM

I just last night finished One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, by Ken Kesey. It's my new favourite book! Strangely enough, all of the books I've read lately have become my new favourite book, but this was particularly amazing. I've also recently finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky, and Girl, Interrupted, by Susanna Kaysen. I recommend them all to anybody interested in the line between sane and insane, and finding an identity in the case of Perks.

A friend lent me The Interpretation of Murder, by Jed Rubenfeld, today. I love books based on psychology.

linder surprise 20-10-2008 10:30 PM

ohhhh i bought so many books recently! like, ten. but some were for uni.
i bought perks of being a wallflower, nobody belongs here more than you (miranda july), the bloody chamber (angela carter), the complete fairy tales (the brothers grimm), the almost moon (alice sebold), doctor corpernicus (john banville), the periodic table (primo levis) & the true history of the kelly gang (peter carey).
now, reading them.. that's a whole 'nother story..

Kitsch 20-10-2008 11:12 PM

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you! Which are you reading first? Let us know what you think when you finish them :-)

linder surprise 21-10-2008 12:36 AM

well i am reading doctor corpernicus right now. or well i started it on the train home today. it is a semi-fictional biography of a real scientist who i guess was called doctor corpernicus. he "invented" the solar system as we know it today, as in he discovered/named it. it was obviously already there.

rustedchains 21-10-2008 04:03 AM

I (re)read Catalyst and then read Twisted by Laure Halse Anderson. Catalyst is one of my favorite books ever.

Kitsch 21-10-2008 11:34 AM

rustedchains: Who is Catalyst by? I'm always looking for new books to read :)

linder: That actually sounds very interesting. I'm going to have a list of books to read spanning the length of Britain, at this rate XD

Zedebee 21-10-2008 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by englishwitch (Post 1145201)
And I'm just starting Deception Point by Dan Brown, I'm still only the first couple of chapters so it's too early to know if it's a good read or not.

From what I remember it really is a good read.

I finished Nothing to fear by Karen Rose [absolutely amazing] and Cut by Cathy Glass [interesting to say the least].

I want something good to read next. Anybody recommend anything? I'm pretty open to most genres apart from science-fictiony type stuff.

Spoons 21-10-2008 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linder surprise (Post 1165256)
ohhhh i bought so many books recently! like, ten. but some were for uni.
i bought perks of being a wallflower, nobody belongs here more than you (miranda july), the bloody chamber (angela carter), the complete fairy tales (the brothers grimm), the almost moon (alice sebold), doctor corpernicus (john banville), the periodic table (primo levis) & the true history of the kelly gang (peter carey).
now, reading them.. that's a whole 'nother story..

i love primo levis, the books ive read of his have been amazing. I havent read the periodic table though, i that a uni book or one for pleasure?

If this is a man, made me cry, it was a really emotional read. sometimes though due to the content really hard to read.

Ive been debating to buy that miranda july book for ages, its always in the waterstones sale and everytime i go in there i pick it up and read the blurb. let us know if its any good?

Recently i have bought

Mother Night- Kurt Vonnegut
God bless you, Dr Kevorkian- Kurt Vonnegut
Insomnia- Stephen King
Vernon god little- DBC Pierre
Holes- Louis Sachar
The war in heaven- Kent Nussey
Snow is silent- Benjamin Prado

oxfam book shop in town is a gold mine :)

Currently reading- kiss me judas

roiben 21-10-2008 05:01 PM

The Ninth Circle, by Alex Bell (I think)

linder surprise 21-10-2008 09:09 PM

amy i am glad to hear he's a good writer because that's a uni book.
the miranda july book, i hadn't even heard of her before i watched me you & everyone we know. and i remembered that lucy/gypseeroselee has it listed as one of her favourite books on facebook haha, so i bought it. it was on amazon sale.
&&&. mother night is so fantastic! i read it in about two days this summer. really recommend.

Stellata 21-10-2008 09:11 PM

I've just finished "A Place Called Here" by Cecilia Aherne. Excellent book.

I'm now on a saga by Ruth Hamilton - "The Judge's Daughter".

Becca 21-10-2008 09:16 PM

I'm reading 'A Walk with Jane Austen' which is a biography/memoir combined of a woman from America who comes to England and travels around various places that Jane stayed in. I expected to not like it very much but I'm really enjoying it.

Zedebee 21-10-2008 09:29 PM

Katie, that book really is excellent. Have you read any of her other books?

katie2601 21-10-2008 10:09 PM

I'm reading The California Club by Belinda Jones. Amazing so far.

Stellata 22-10-2008 08:41 AM

Zed, no, not yet, but I plan to - her latest, "Thanks for the memories" looks really good.

Zedebee 22-10-2008 11:16 AM

Yeah it really is. I love her style of writing... She's actually just released a new book for Christmas called 'The Gift'. I'm reading it at the moment and might review it at some point.

HopeRises 22-10-2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsch (Post 1164654)
I just last night finished One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, by Ken Kesey. It's my new favourite book! Strangely enough, all of the books I've read lately have become my new favourite book, but this was particularly amazing. I've also recently finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky, and Girl, Interrupted, by Susanna Kaysen. I recommend them all to anybody interested in the line between sane and insane, and finding an identity in the case of Perks.

A friend lent me The Interpretation of Murder, by Jed Rubenfeld, today. I love books based on psychology.

I've read one flew over the cuckoo's nest and girl,interrupted. If your into those kinda books you should def read Catch-22 by Joseph Heller.
It's kinda hard like you gotta get your head around it but it's pretty ace. I'm still reading it and I'm loving it.

Dissident 23-10-2008 12:20 AM

I agree that Catch 22 is rather awesome. At the moment I'm reading 'Jaaka Ruus' by Terry Brooks, some poetry by Byron and TS Eliot and 'Dubliners' by James Joyce. :)

Spoons 23-10-2008 12:22 AM

^^^ ive always been meaning to read some James Joyce, let me know what you think of it!!!

one_step_closer 23-10-2008 01:02 PM

Compulsion - Hilary Norman

one_step_closer 24-10-2008 04:36 PM

I gave up on that, it was dull. I'm now reading Lord of the Flies.

Devil Girl 24-10-2008 10:15 PM

Oh Lord of the Flies is good...read it in 3rd year at school...well someone read it too us!

PixieHope. 24-10-2008 10:28 PM

I'm still reading Atonement! Stupid uni getting in my way of reading!
Buuuuuuuut I'm near the end :)
I love it, it's so good.

All the books people read seem really fascinating.

Pretty Kill 25-10-2008 02:33 AM

I've just finished reading "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" by Steig Larsson. It took so long to get into it, the first 1/3 of the book was just technicalities and statistics and the like, but then the last 2/3 were AMAZING! Just BOOM! Mindblowing! Utter mindgasm, I swear to God. (I think I should say, though, in case anybody takes this reccommendation on board, the book includes sexual abuse).

Today I started "Memoirs Of A Geisha" by Arthur Golden, which I've heard nothing but good things about. I can't wait to really get stuck into it!

Dissident 25-10-2008 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoons (Post 1170040)
^^^ ive always been meaning to read some James Joyce, let me know what you think of it!!!

Ah mate, I adore Joyce. He's one of my top three writers (and I read a hell of a lot haha!) My personal favourite is 'Portrait of the artist as a young man' but 'Dubliners' seems a lot more accessible as it's basically just a series of vignettes almost..

I've never actually finished Ulysses despite having started it at least 5 times. It's brilliantly written and constructed with many different layers but pretty complex, maybe 6th time will be a charm :D

ihatethereforeiam 25-10-2008 06:40 PM

I'm reading 'Memoirs of a Geisha' by Arthur Golden at the moment, I have less than a hundred pages left and I don't want it to end. Gutting.

PixieHope. 25-10-2008 09:01 PM

Memoirs of a Geisha is such a good book!

Tig 25-10-2008 10:42 PM

I'm currently (slowly) reading 'A Paramedics Diary: Life and Death On The Streets' by Stuart Gray.

Useless Information 101 26-10-2008 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sadako (Post 1173299)
I'm still reading Atonement! Stupid uni getting in my way of reading!
Buuuuuuuut I'm near the end :)
I love it, it's so good.

All the books people read seem really fascinating.

Oh I love that book, it killed me. I cried through the last like ten pages haha. Have you seen the movie?

And ugh, I havent been reading much lately :/. When I finish the two books Im in the middle of now, I want to start the "Chrestomanci" series by Diana Wynne Jones.

PixieHope. 26-10-2008 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Useless Information 101 (Post 1175356)
Oh I love that book, it killed me. I cried through the last like ten pages haha. Have you seen the movie?

And ugh, I havent been reading much lately :/. When I finish the two books Im in the middle of now, I want to start the "Chrestomanci" series by Diana Wynne Jones.

Oh nooooo, don't say that. I've just started part three so got like 100 pages to read yet.
I havent seen the film though, didn't want to until I've read the book. Is it any good?

EyelinerAndCappuccino 26-10-2008 11:56 PM

I just finished Twisted by Laurie Hales Anderson, A MAZING book.
ATM i'm working on Twilight by Stephanie Myers.

Feel_Good_inc. 27-10-2008 01:47 PM

Just finished Deception Point by Dan Brown. By far one of his best. but I've always been a fan of science fiction.

I've started reading The Stand by Stephen King. the full, unedited version which is 1421 pages long and three inches thick. I'm only up to chapter 9 so far but it's excellent.

mesmerized. 27-10-2008 08:48 PM

Just finished 'Tess of the D'Urbervilles', Thomas Hardy. I've started reading it a couple of times before but I finally got around to finishing it. :)
(The ending is just horrible, though. Really, what's wrong with happy endings?!)