RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Eating Issues Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Increasing intake (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248630)

Fred! 03-07-2018 05:36 PM

Increasing intake

Hey

I'm struggling with food a lot at the moment and this weekend I'm going away with some friends for an activity thing and I NEED to up how much I eat for the weekend (otherwise I'm likely to pass out). But I've no idea how to go about doing that. I'm terrified of eating more. Like... seriously scared of the food. :ermm:

Eating hurts my stomach too which puts me off massively. I just need some help with working out how to get there with how much I need to eat. I'm trying to increase today a little bit but it's not very easy :( in fact it's really difficult.

I know how to do this 'in theory' but then my anxiety ramps up and up and I just sit there looking at the food and crying.

ugh
I don't know. I wish I had someone I could talk to about this properly but I haven't :( nobody IRL understands.

nonperson 03-07-2018 06:31 PM

What about sipping fruit juice or smoothies? Good for energy, nice and healthy and not "food" as such.

sophie.ashworth 03-07-2018 06:45 PM

i know that when i was looking at increasing years ago i fell apart at the thought of food so my dietician and i planned out my day so there were no surprises and i had 6 'mini meals' a day. its a good way of reaching targets without the uncomfortable feel of a very full tummy, do you think that would work for you?

Fred! 03-07-2018 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonperson (Post 4178889)
What about sipping fruit juice or smoothies? Good for energy, nice and healthy and not "food" as such.

I'm very reluctant to start drinking calories. But I might do for this weekend as a starting point. Thanks xx

Fred! 03-07-2018 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophie.ashworth (Post 4178898)
i know that when i was looking at increasing years ago i fell apart at the thought of food so my dietician and i planned out my day so there were no surprises and i had 6 'mini meals' a day. its a good way of reaching targets without the uncomfortable feel of a very full tummy, do you think that would work for you?

Unfortunately I live with my parents and they are quite insistent that I eat with them in the evening (which basically means I don't eat during the day because of the calories in dinner). They know I'm not eating 'properly' but I don't think they know quite how bad it is and I don't want to discuss it with them tbh.

I'm so scared of over-eating (because when I do, I get suicidal) that I'd rather just not eat. I think that I might try and include a couple of snacks each day at the weekend especially (maybe a piece of fruit and something savoury) as well as eating 'me sized' meals. Hopefully it'll be manageable.

Auror. 16-07-2018 01:58 AM

I know this is a bit old and maybe you don't need suggestions anymore.

But fruit juice or smoothies, if they're something you aren't used to, might actually make your stomach hurt more. Chances are if you're not eating enough the easiest way to try to increase might be with smaller amounts of more calorie dense food. So nut butters and bread, things like that. It's hard because increasing or eating different things might make your stomach hurt more until your body adjusts to more food. And it's uncomfortable and painful.

Is seeing a professional to get some advice and support with this an option? Depending on how little you are eating, trying to increase the amount can actually be dangerous medically.

Fred! 16-07-2018 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auror. (Post 4180942)
I know this is a bit old and maybe you don't need suggestions anymore.

But fruit juice or smoothies, if they're something you aren't used to, might actually make your stomach hurt more. Chances are if you're not eating enough the easiest way to try to increase might be with smaller amounts of more calorie dense food. So nut butters and bread, things like that. It's hard because increasing or eating different things might make your stomach hurt more until your body adjusts to more food. And it's uncomfortable and painful.

Is seeing a professional to get some advice and support with this an option? Depending on how little you are eating, trying to increase the amount can actually be dangerous medically.

Hey xx thanks for replying. I just needed to increase for the weekend away but was struggling to manage it because of thoughts etc. I did manage to eat more for the days I was away. I have EDNOS (I think) so when I can't eat, I can't eat. But when I can eat, I eat it all. The problem is that when I can't eat, I struggle even more to increase when I need to because I know it'll trigger me eating even more :/ rather than just eating 'manageable' amounts. I hope that makes sense xx