RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Self-Harm Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Share your tips for staying SH free (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3541)

long road 16-01-2011 04:12 PM

thank you :')

i just read this thread to stop me.
seeing everyones ways to stop, and their determination It helped :)

Posh Little Rich Girl. 16-01-2011 04:21 PM

Sometimes the distraction helps (:

Annaberry 16-01-2011 11:46 PM

I downloaded a .pdf of "Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dummies" and that's really helped me.

Fleurs du Mal 22-01-2011 11:01 AM

I usually go on Facebook or come on here !

Rainbow Colors 16-03-2011 06:46 AM

I have a box of random things I can do like draw, color, paint my nails, read a magazine, read a book, just anything that can distract me that i can put in there, and I also have a list of other things i can do, like go to the gym, go to a friend's house, text/call a close friend, and whenever i want to cut, i tell myself i have to do five things from my box, and then if i still feel like cutting, i can. usually i don't, but in the beginning i made it ten things, because it was a lot harder.

Strawberry.Bananas 17-04-2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippi (Post 2190161)
Put a thin layer of PVA glue on your arm and once it's dry peel bits off. It gives me something to do with my hands and is really cool.

I just wanted to thank you so much for this. I've been doing this as a distraction and it's really been working. So thank you xxx

I am (not) a robot 28-04-2011 04:57 AM

I am still getting the hang of being SH free... but so far, what works for me, is when I am really tempted and I feel my skin crawling, I just hug myself. As dumb as that sounds. It keeps my hands in place and it gives me time to calm down. Also, playing the bass guitar/writing help so much. You don't have to write anything "profound" just write down the rambles that are going through your mind. Once they are out, let them stay out. It's helped me a lot.

x-dying-inside-x 07-05-2011 10:35 PM

Being around people really helps me.
Have a good cry.
Sleep.
Going for a random drive with the radio on nice and loud.
work keeps my mind off it.

Tig 20-05-2011 01:55 PM

I often write letters. I address them to a person I trust but don't send them. I just find it helpful to get it all out and also to imagine what my trusted friend would reply if they were to receive the letter. Sometimes at a later time I have been able to reply to myself. I've kept them in the hope that if I was to get an urge, I will be able to see what helped me through the last urge

xlaurenx 20-05-2011 07:30 PM

What worked for me was if i wanted to sh a word into my body rather then doing that i would grab my eyeliner (Pencil) and write it on if i was angry i would just press deeper, stay there for about a week and clearly the urge to do that had gone by then. I think i had about 11 words on me at once :)

EndOfDaze 27-06-2011 03:19 PM

I play on the sims too, it's a great distraction and the time flies when you play on it!
Fake tattoos - I put them on my legs and it stops me from sh'ing as I don't want to ruin them.

FindingTheRealMe 13-07-2011 06:05 PM

There's a few things I do.
Writting helps, drawing on my skin (ie the fake tattoos, i usually wash it off the next time I take a shower), music is a big one, I currently have a pool in my backyard,so if its not too late I go for a swim, theres been a couple of times where I stay out all day in it. Going to work helped generally, it was usually hard to get away for a couple of minutes, so that was good. Texting (occasionally calling) friends. All but one of my friends live out of state ( I moved about 6-7 weeks ago). I currently dont have a razor blade, so I had razors (to shave my legs and arms) that I would have to cut open to get the razor out and generally afterwards I didnt want to cut anymore. Getting on RYL and chatting. Reading a book, watching my favorite show (ie Xena or Charmed), video games really is good, especially if u have a wii. I love violent video games when I am pissed. Reading a book and watching shows is generally when I have calmed down a bit.
This morning I had to shave and all I wanted to do was cut and cry (and I hate crying, I dont like it, I feel weak, not that I think other ppl r, I just hate showing ppl Im human or something?) so I told myself if I could wash and shave and cut the razor open and still want to cut I could. By the time I was done taking a bath I didnt want to cut. So thats all I can think of...

Im glad this thread is here, I hope I have given u some ideas on how to stop.

FindingTheRealMe 13-07-2011 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitkat :) (Post 2659091)
I think of the fact that I can't be bothered to make sure my arms are hidden, it's just so much extra effort.

No hiding arms = no SH.

I like it, and it is so much xtra effort!
and I recently got to the point where I can show my arms again, Id rather not have to go back to hiding them, especially since its hot and most of the cute clothes I have either have very little sleeve r none. I am going to start using this one as well

flybat3 13-07-2011 07:26 PM

i dont recommend starting smoking as a replacement.......

x-dying-inside-x 13-07-2011 10:03 PM

keeping busy and most of all having the right people to support you!

Platypus 20-07-2011 02:30 AM

Play with a pet.

Some ideas:
- make hurdles for the cat out of boxes, then throw a toy so the cat jumps over them all.
- make shadows for the cat/dog to chase, or use a torch
- train to shake paw, roll over, jump through a plastic hoop, dance etc.

If your pet is asleep or lazy:
- try to balance (light) objects on the cat's head without her/him noticing
- make random noises and see if the cat responds. Try out various ringtones; my mobile has meowing and barking sounds.
- try to put a toilet tube on the cat's tail
- tease cat with long piece of string

For smaller pets (guinea pigs, rats, mice, rabbits):
- collect lots of different sized cardboard boxes, tubes etc. Then make mazes for your pet and hide bits of their favorite food around to encourage them to explore.

Shainahurts 13-08-2011 05:25 AM

Take a piece of paper and a number two pencil and draw lines on the paper like you would with your body and a knife on the paper, make sure you cover the whole entire page and let it all out

scarlet fever 13-08-2011 07:33 AM

Plenty of caffeine.
not to say replace sh with a caffeine addiction. Going to the movies. Its dark and you're with your people but you don't need to talk, you just be together, and distract yourself. Also I've found rollerskating to be a great release

just a dreamer 15-08-2011 02:46 AM

I have a couple of things I do:
- Make coffee and force myself to do college work while I drink it.
- Write. About everything and nothing at the same time.
- Watch my hamster go about his day.
- Make friendship bracelets. Keeps my hands busy and all the patterns are amazing.
- Paint. Usually it comes out looking terrible, but it doesn't matter.
- Eat fruit until I feel completely full. Fruit is amazing. <3

sorken 11-09-2011 03:19 AM

Music! Almost by the time I stopped SI I started practicing guitar...
While it helps you preventing SI, it also makes you feel good, productive, great! :)