RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   First Aid Advice (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Cut under toe (non-si) (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119976)

roiben 24-11-2009 06:04 AM

Cut under toe (non-si)

Hi,

I have got a cut under my toe (one next to little toe on right foot) where the toe joins the foot. It is painful and I am unsure how to treat it.

I have put a lint dressing on it (wrapped a small piece under the toe and around the next toe so it does not rub too much and taped it at the top side of my foot with microporous tape)and wrapped a bandage around my foot for the time being to stop my toe wriggling too much in the night, as it was pulling at the edges and making it sore.

I am diabetic and my sugars have been running slightly high lately (my clinic are helping me try to re-stabilise them), so I know my feet are not going to heal very well if left to their own devices... what can I do to help it along? Is there a proper way to bandage that area. I know to keep it clean, but should I put anything on it or go to the Dr?

Sorry - I haven't had problems with my feet for a while now and so it has worried me.

Animad 24-11-2009 10:02 AM

Due to your diabetes being unstable and feet injuries and diabetes being notorious for not healing it is best that you get it checked out.

Bandaging it is a good idea but instead of using the lint I would instead use a non-adherant/ non-stick dressing eg Melolin as lint has nothing to stop it sticking to the skin and so it better as a layer over the top of a dressing rather than being in contact with the wound itself. Because of this, when you take off the lint don't be surprised if it is hard to remove or if it starts the wound bleeding more/ opens it up further as it will pull against any of the healing tissue. So, if you use a non-adherant dressing as a layer in contact with the wound and keep it bandaged then it may heal up fine but I'd be a bit dubious with the unstable diabetes so I'd be more inclined to stick on the side of caution

roiben 24-11-2009 01:35 PM

Thank you for this, Animad.

I will see if I can find some smaller Melonin after work today and change the dressing once I get home. I see what you mean about the lint... I used it as it was easier to cut to size and I was dressing it in the middle of the night...

I will also see if I can make a GP appointment just to get it checked out properly...

Many thanks.

Animad 25-11-2009 10:48 AM

Just get normal melonin and cut it down to size with scissors; if it's on a toe you can also by toe bandages from pharmacies to keep it in place.

roiben 25-11-2009 01:45 PM

Thanks, I ended up cutting down some melonin in the end and up wrapped bandage around my foot again. I find the little toe bandages are okay, only they end just where the cut is and so can rub and feel uncomfortable.

l'il esky 28-11-2009 03:38 PM

sometimes (obviously this isnt a diagnosis-just a suggestion!!!)but with tinea pedis-which is athletes foot which can occur inbetween your toes causes splits in the toe webbing. if your sugar levels are high fungal elements are more prone to growing in warmer,moister areas as they are attracted to the excess sugar.
definately agree with kim to get an appt with your gp asap....might be worth getting a referral to a podiatrist so they can give you a thorough foot assessment (checking your circulation and nerve sensations)and give you some general diabetic foot care advise aswell as checking out this area.