RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

Snowdrop 06-06-2010 03:53 PM

Tempted, House of Night series

Breifly_Tragic </3 06-06-2010 04:12 PM

Shiver by Maggie Steifvater

nowhereman 06-06-2010 09:22 PM

Vampire diaries.

Dreaming. 07-06-2010 11:17 AM

Notes from an Exhibition by Patrick Gale.
I'm really enjoying it. Getting a bit confused because there are too many people that it takes the viewpoint of, and it jumps around in time a lot, but aside from that, it's very enjoyable.

And I did a bit of an Oxfam raid the other day, so I've got lots of books I want to read after I've finished it.

[Desolation.] 07-06-2010 11:39 AM

i gave up on shiver after 2 days :)
just read loser by Jerry spinelli and now starting eggs by the same author :)

J.Greens 07-06-2010 01:40 PM

Anyone else read 'Transition' by Iain Banks? Finding really difficult to keep interest...

silverfaerychild 07-06-2010 06:15 PM

Spirit Bound by Richelle mead

Sparky! 07-06-2010 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreaming. (Post 2338934)
Notes from an Exhibition by Patrick Gale.
I'm really enjoying it. Getting a bit confused because there are too many people that it takes the viewpoint of, and it jumps around in time a lot, but aside from that, it's very enjoyable.

I'm reading that at the moment as well! I'm really loving it, I just think it's beautifully written and the characterisation is brilliant. I know what you mean about it being a bit confusing with telling the story from so many people's point of view - don't know how far through you are, but I am pretty much used to it now, and I actually like how it jumps around in time.

Yeah, good book. Would really recommend it :)

I'm also working my way through all the Harry Potter books again and reading 'The Loony Bin Trip' by Kate Millet but I haven't read much of that for a while because to be honest the style it's written in is annoying - it's too 'literary' (read: pretentious), and would be fine for a poem or short piece of prose but is annoying for a whole book. I think.

MunchBox 08-06-2010 12:55 PM

I can see you by Karen Rose

Mademoiselle Lola. 08-06-2010 01:49 PM

I've just finished a book by Amelie Nothomb (one of my favourite writers.She's so awesome!).
I borrowed from library Lolita (reading it again),One flew over the cookoo's nest (also reading it again) and Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka.

one_step_closer 08-06-2010 07:10 PM

Fractured - Ruth Dee.

Dreaming. 08-06-2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky! (Post 2340268)
I'm reading that at the moment as well! I'm really loving it, I just think it's beautifully written and the characterisation is brilliant. I know what you mean about it being a bit confusing with telling the story from so many people's point of view - don't know how far through you are, but I am pretty much used to it now, and I actually like how it jumps around in time.

Yeah, good book. Would really recommend it :)

Yeah, I think i'd just been reading it over too long a time period to properly get into it, but I blitzed it yesterday and today, and just understand a lot more now. It was a reaaally good book though, I really did enjoy it. I was also happy on how it finished, it ended well - but I won't say what happened :) I did really enjoy it.

I'm now reading Random Acts of Heroic Love, alongside Understanding the Policy Process. LOL. I hate that I can't quite give up my degree yet, haha.

BeautyFiend 08-06-2010 11:19 PM

Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
it's freakin' brilliant.

Race The Dream 09-06-2010 12:18 AM

^^ I just read Catch 22 and LOVED it.

Now I'm onto Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky. I'm a bit of a war fiction addict...

Dreaming. 09-06-2010 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Race The Dream (Post 2342216)
Now I'm onto Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky. I'm a bit of a war fiction addict...

I really enjoyed that. I found it so emotional, but well-written, and it's even better considering the context within which she was writing the story.

~IntoxicatedRainbow 09-06-2010 07:23 PM

I read Thirteen Reason Why by Jay Asher (I think) a few days ago. Pretty nice.

Sparky! 09-06-2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreaming. (Post 2341651)
Yeah, I think i'd just been reading it over too long a time period to properly get into it, but I blitzed it yesterday and today, and just understand a lot more now. It was a reaaally good book though, I really did enjoy it. I was also happy on how it finished, it ended well - but I won't say what happened :) I did really enjoy it.

Okay, now I HAVE to finish it tonight! =P

I'd quite like to read 'Thirteen Reasons Why' at some point.

The War Doctor 12-06-2010 07:35 PM

Finished reading Crash by J.G. Ballard, and although the idea was very original, I found it hard to stay interested. He used a lot of the same words and descriptions over and over, and it got very repetitive very quickly. Also, for a book which the author himself classes as "erotic fiction", the many sex scenes read more like an instruction manual than anything else.

Currently reading CELL by Stephen King, and I'm liking it. I wouldn't say loving it, because it's far from his best work, but it's pretty good.

lolalola519 13-06-2010 02:19 AM

Jane Eyre- Charlotte Bronte
Wicked Lovely- Melissa Marr
Blue Bloods- Melissa De La Cruz

Devil Girl 13-06-2010 08:44 AM

Well I finished Juliet, Naked By Nick Hornby last night. I did enjoy it but I didn't find it as funny and easy going as A Long Way Down which I have read by him! Interesting and worth reading but I would maybe try and borrow it of someone!

Also read What I Was By Meg Rossoff - Not great but as it was a teenage type book it got me reading a wee bit more again.

Now I have started The Amber Spyglass By Philip Pullman - it has been sitting in my bookshelf for YEARS so thought 'will finally get this trilogy finished!!!