RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Eating Issues Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Anorexic without the bmi (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247545)

Voldemort 16-02-2018 10:18 PM

Anorexic without the bmi

Sorry for starting a new thread but this one seems a little off track from my last one.

My wife and apparently psych, cpn and nurses keeping using the ‘a’ word when referring to me. Though other than my wife no one has said it to me.

I was getting periods. Due this weekend but they’ve been very short and light which is unlike me.

Can you be anorexic without meeting the bmi critieria or is it just EDNOS.

I should add that I’ve never been underweight but this is my lowest weight in my adult years.

trechu 16-02-2018 10:36 PM

According to the DSM, anorexia nervosa must include a weight below what is considered normal. However, under "Other specified feeding or eating disorder (OSFED)" they mention "Atypical anorexia nervosa: All criteria are met, except despite significant weight loss, the individual’s weight is within or above the normal range."

Voldemort 16-02-2018 10:55 PM

Hmm. I think I’m okay then. Thanks. :)

Voldemort 17-02-2018 05:20 PM

How do you cope with maintaining weight when you’ve done everything you can to lose? I just don’t understand how my weight hasn’t changed.

Auror. 19-02-2018 06:06 AM

Atypical anorexia is very much a legit diagnosis, and can be just as, if not more serious in terms of health consequences as anorexia. The body reacts the same to lack of food, regardless of your starting weight.

HopeRises 23-02-2018 03:45 PM

I also wanted to add that anorexia by definition is a loss of appitite for food so you can still by definition still have anorexia even if you don't fit the DSM stuff.
BUT

you do have the emotional attachment to food and it isn't just a lack of appitite so I would say its defintely something your struggling with, even if you don't fit the DSM weight thing (which lets be honest the weight thing is slightly ridiculous.) And Atypical annorexia is still a legit diagnosis that can still be very serious.

Voldemort 23-02-2018 08:29 PM

I know that. It’s just easier to say that than an.

I don’t know that I even have an ed though. My weight was down this morning and I was happy for all of about 20mins and now the thought of getting it lower is back.

Aubergine 23-02-2018 09:14 PM

Have you looked at the criteria for atypical anorexia, or been able to discuss it anymore with your care team? I can't say whether you have a certain diagnosis or not, because I'm not a medical professional, but it does sound like you struggle with your relationship with food and weight, and that in itself warrants support.

Voldemort 24-02-2018 12:34 PM

I’ve looked at the criteria and it does seem to fit but my care team aren’t very forthcoming with anything, especially a diagnosis so I’d be reluctant to ask them.

Plus the huge part of me that doesn’t believe I have one anyway.

Aubergine 24-02-2018 07:52 PM

Would you need a diagnosis to start to change things? Or do you think you would be able to accept support without hearing of anything official? Eating distress/difficulties with weight and food are very valid with or without a diagnosis. What would being given a diagnosis mean to you?

Voldemort 24-02-2018 10:55 PM

Oh I don’t want a diagnosis. I don’t want/need help. I need people to leave me alone.

Auror. 25-02-2018 03:06 AM

What made you post this thread, if you think you don't need help and to be left alone? You posted it in the ED forum, so there might be some part of you that is concerned or thinks maybe things are not okay?

One thing that I've been told is that a big part of disordered eating/eating disorders is lack of judgement/believing that anything is really wrong. Part of this is due to the impact of lack of nutrition, but I think the other is that accepting maybe things are not okay is really, really hard.

One thing that I've found helpful is the idea that acknowledging that my actions/behaviors are maybe disordered/dangerous does not necessarily mean I have to change them. I know that is a bit nuanced, but for me it means I can at least recognise the disordered things occurring, but that at least takes away the pressure or need to do anything about it. My old therapist suggested it made sense when going along with the stages of change, where it can take people a lot of time to accept things are issues, and even longer to then decide to maybe think about change, and even then longer after that to try or want to change.

That might have made no sense. Thinking of you. Sorry if not helpful, and if not, can I ask what type of support or replies you were looking for with posting?

Voldemort 25-02-2018 06:11 PM

I was literally posting to ask if there could be any truth in what people have been saying about me. Or whether it’s just scaremongering.

I know I don’t have the greatest relationship with me and that’s fine by me right now.

Auror. 25-02-2018 10:16 PM

I do think there's quite possibly truth in what others are saying about you. I don't think it's scaremongering. Not eating can have serious health consequences. However, it is up to you whether or not you want to change things. I think people are probably concerned about you because they care. But nobody can force you to change unless you are under a treatment order, etc. I'm sorry you are in such a hard place right now. Thanks for clarifying what you were looking for!

Voldemort 26-02-2018 11:30 PM

Thanks Camden. I’m currently under a section for something else. Can they use that to do anything about the food stuff as well?

Auror. 27-02-2018 01:05 AM

I honestly don't know, sorry. I'm afraid I'm not in your country, so I'm not familiar with how laws for a section work.

I know that here in the US, they can force you into eating disorder treatment/feeding tubes/tube feeds. I've been put on a psych hold and sent inpatient for an eating disorder because I was medically unstable, and they used that as saying I was unable to care for myself. If I had refused to eat while there, they would have gotten a court order for a feeding tube, etc.

So I'd imagine they could, I am just unsure what would be involved and it would depend on your individual circumstances. I don't say that as a means to scare you, only to be honest with the fact that it can be medically dangerous, and people do die from not eating. It can lead to things like heart issues/abnormalites, heart attacks, electrolyte imbalances, etc. even while being normal or overweight according to BMI.

Voldemort 27-02-2018 04:33 PM

Thanks Camden. I am eating and my psych doesn’t seem too worried so that’s a good sign.