RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mental Health Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Counseling confusion (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227712)

Mihashi 24-10-2014 03:16 AM

Counseling confusion

So about a week ago, I saw a counselor from my school. Pretty much the first thing we did was she gave me a quiz to take on issues revolving around depression, because I was showing signs of it, apparently. She did say it wasn't an official diagnosis, though. Fast forward to today's meeting, and she told me that my results of it were in the lower end of "severely depressed" and told me to consider antidepressants between now and Monday. She also told me to keep a log of any negative feelings related to this.

I told Mom about it all, and she asked me a ton of questions regarding all of this, and I'm new to it all. So, I really don't know what to do. These questions were pretty much along the lines of "how do you expect to get said antidepressants", and when I answered "a psychiatrist", she asked me where I expect to get one. I understand some of why she's pushing back a little bit with this, because I do have a bad liver, and we don't know if said antidepressants are going to stop the liver in its tracks or something. But at the same time, I've kinda dealt with a lingering problem for too long, and with the way things are and likely will go, I can't just let it sit for any longer. And then Dad chimed in, and said to get another counselor's opinion. He was referring to someone from our church that I've never known, and they don't know I'm LGBT. Which means I have no idea if this person is LGBT-friendly or not (because I know for a fact there are anti-LGBT counselors out there).

So, from anybody with any knowledge or advice on this, is there a certain way to do this? Should I even be doing it in the first place? Should I take the chances and see the other person as well? I'm honestly confused at the moment.

just_different 24-10-2014 09:51 AM

Hiya,
firstly it's good that it seems you've finally found some advice on something which sounds like its been going on for a while.
The first bit i'll answer is about the antidepressants, as a person who worked in a diagnostic laboratory is studying a degree in biomedical science and myself has mild liver problems I can tell you that anti depressants shouldn't affect the liver. some medications have more affect than others and the labels always state they shouldn't be taken by people with liver problems, this is because all forms of medication/drug are metabolised through the liver but as long as your dr is aware of this they can use this knowledge to aid them in choosing the correct meds at the correct dose.
Now that that is out of the way, could you possibly see your GP? I know a few people who have been to their GP and without a 'formal' diagnosis from a psych have gotten antidepressants and have never actually needed much, if any, intervention from the mental health services.

It's good that you are getting help, my advice would be not to see too many professionals as personally I have found this very stressful in the past as they always tell you different things (my opinion only!) If you can find one that you trust and know that is LGBT friendly I would stick with them.

As hard as it is try not to let your parents influence your decision, I don't know about you but even after several hospital admissions, 8 years of self harm and suicide attempts my parents don't know how I really feel (in fact they believe it to be experiments) so in my case my parents wouldn't be the best to advice... I am not in any way suggesting you don't include your parents but if you haven't until this point it is probably a shock to them.

I hope you can work something out which works for you :) and that what I have said makes a little sense and is even a little helpful!

Take Care,
JD

Mihashi 28-10-2014 01:49 AM

okay so update on this (trigger: self-harm):

last night i snapped. hit myself in the head with a thick glass milk jug when i got overfrustrated. sister called 911. medics came and took me to the hospital where I got stitches in my left hand. got out fine. just way bandaged up. head is mostly fine.

today i saw the christian counselor. things seemed to go well when i told him i was LGBT and an athiest. turns out he was part of the county crisis center previously. he said basically the same things the other counselor had said. so we'll see how things go from there i guess.