RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

one_step_closer 14-07-2009 08:38 PM

Bloodletting - Victoria Leatham.

mesmerized. 15-07-2009 12:56 AM

^ Are you enjoying it? I really hated that book!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreaming. (Post 1747151)
I'm now re-reading Lord of the Flies by William Golding - I read it for GCSE, and studying it so intensely really turned me off the book - but I read a few pages and remembered how good a book it was. So I'm reading it again :)

'Lord of the Flies' is great - I read it for Standard Grade and hated it at the time but re-read it and also really enjoyed it =]

I'm very nearly finished 'Lolita' but I'm struggling with it now, tbh. Have started 'Mrs Dalloway' by Virginia Woolf as well.

lifeasasymptom 15-07-2009 01:38 AM

I'm reading a book called Hey! Nietzche! Leave Them Kids Alone! by Craig Schuftan.

It's this really cool book about how today's music is a continuation of the romantic literary period, and instead of de-valuing today's music, it talks about how great it is as another 'artistic' movement. For example, it compared Goethe to My Chemical Romance.

It's really weird and interesting, and it always distracts me because it has all this insightful comments about how a lot of music today is accepting that the world sucks, and artists turning within to find something they can be positive about. It feels like when I read it I get all these insights into my life, but in a positive way, like it opens up a whole new angle that I can look at things from and it makes me feel better.

one_step_closer 15-07-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesmerized. (Post 1748071)
^ Are you enjoying it? I really hated that book!

At the moment I think I almost agree with you, it's not great.

MrsCoulter 15-07-2009 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_step_closer (Post 1720523)
Poppy Shakespeare - Clare Allan.

Also still reading Insomnia - Stephen King, it's very slow.

I have the Poppy Shakespeare book but I've not read it yet.

I am in the middle of reading a star wars book :blush: and Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher.

_Dusk_ 15-07-2009 05:47 PM

I'm currently reading 'Diary' by Chuck Palahniuk.

Spoons 15-07-2009 06:06 PM

^^ That book is ace, i need to re read it

Serenade 16-07-2009 12:32 AM

Finished my collection of Clive Barker stories, Books of Blood and found it pretty interesting, i think it was a little boring towards the middle but otherwise strong if not a little weird how he goes off way too much about sex and some weird stuff, but generally great! Now resuming one of my favourite novels, The Shining by Stephen King, a definite modern masterpiece.

ChocolateMarvel 16-07-2009 12:42 AM

I have just finished a book called Airs and Graces by Erica James, I think her books are fab! Once I start, I can't stop!!

linder surprise 16-07-2009 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoons (Post 1747237)
invisible monsters is a great book, 'birds ate my face' is possibly the best line from abook ever.

yes yes yes! that is my favourite palahniuk quote. forget all the dark nihilism & sarcastic commentary & all of it, "birds ate my face" is just amazing.
i had it in my signature for ages.

Sugar Rush 17-07-2009 12:51 PM

Hii

Hii

I just finished New Moon from the twilight saga!

:thumbup:

Serenade 17-07-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linder surprise (Post 1751972)
yes yes yes! that is my favourite palahniuk quote. forget all the dark nihilism & sarcastic commentary & all of it, "birds ate my face" is just amazing.
i had it in my signature for ages.

Haha now i am definitely looking forward to reading this one :laugh:

mesmerized. 18-07-2009 02:21 AM

FINALLY finished 'Lolita'.
Now I'm reading 'Telling Liddy' by Anne Fine. Which seems alright, I just wanted something easy to read & I remember liking her children's books :)
Oh, and also the Qur'an. Because I realised I know nothing about it, and it seemed like a good idea?

one_step_closer 18-07-2009 04:53 PM

The Long Hard Road Out of Hell - Marilyn Manson.

one_step_closer 18-07-2009 06:06 PM

Also, Cujo - Stephen King.

Serenade 20-07-2009 03:46 PM

^ Oh cool, i have yet to read Cujo yet!

I read a couple more chapters of The Shining whilst on ze bus to and from town earlier, good stuff.

Bean 20-07-2009 05:19 PM

I just read The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger. Actually, I've read it before. I can relate very well to Holden Caulfield, the teenage boy who is having a breakdown :P
Now I have started to read Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy.

Serenade 20-07-2009 05:31 PM

I have had Catcher in the Rye for years but not gotten onto reading it yet, i hope to soon!

mesmerized. 21-07-2009 10:23 PM

'Telling Liddy' was okay, hated the ending. Just read a couple of books by Lisa Gardner, they were okay, entertaining anyway. Now I'm reading 'Far From the Madding Crowd' by Thomas Hardy.

TheCon 21-07-2009 10:37 PM

Reading Dry by Augusten Burroughs. Love him.