RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   First Aid Advice (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   bruise thing, cannula related (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186208)

Cacoethes 09-04-2012 10:56 PM

bruise thing, cannula related

Heeey.

I had a cannula in on Wednesday night, and a couple of days ago I noticed that about 2-3 cm away from where the actual needle went in, I have a small, round purple spot bruise type thing.
It doesn't look like a normal bruise, not painful. I don't remember this having happened before. But I think I did have an allergic reaction to the micropore tape, but it settled.

I dont know. help would be appreciated :)

Cryptic. 09-04-2012 11:33 PM

I have huge bruises from needles/drips/transfusions that were done a week and a half ago, and the bruises aren't actually specifically where it happened, and have moved further away, I think it's maybe common for this to happen, for the bruises to not be exactly where the place affected was?

I'm also not sure on this, but bruises don't always have to hurt.
[Don't quote me on this though! It's just from what I've heard, and also in the past some of my bruises don't always cause a substantial amount of pain]

The fact it's purple also makes me wonder, too. I'm not sure about colorings of bruises, but maybe the first aid adviser or others could address this further than I can. :)

Just thought I'd drop by with my clueless self and my large "I don't really know" writings, :P

I hope you find out what it exactly is/could be though, but it may either be something completely different, or it may just be from where the cannula was and it is in fact from that and maybe just a bruise from it. There's all sorts of different bruising out there, so it may very well be just that.

xxx

Animad 10-04-2012 05:00 PM

I think this is directly related to the cannula. When you put one in it obviously puts a hole into a blood vessel. Therefore when one is removed a little hole is still present where blood can leak out of which is why you're supposed to put pressure on the area for some time after; to close the hole over so it can clot. Sometimes you can put pressure on it but you can still get some leakage to a greater or lesser extent and as it's under the skin it may be in a slightly different place to where the hole is on the skin as the blood vessel could'v moved a bit or the bleeding could've found a pocket in the skin where it collected/ similar. This is perfectely normal and often if they're only little like this one seems it's not painful at all (big ones can be as it can cause swelling around and/or the clotted blood creaes pressure on the surrounding tissue) and as it is blood under the skin (a haematoma) then yes, it's totally normal to first start off purple. It will then start to go a darker colour before going a browny colour and then yellowing up.

It's nothing to worry about at all.

The only thing is if it starts getting bigger in size/ the surrounding area becoming reddened/ it getting hot/ swollen/ painful/ red lines are coming off this up your arm then go and get it checked out as there is always a small chance of getting infection there which can be really dangerous but no more so with this than with any other cannula.

Buttercup. 11-04-2012 12:14 AM

This is common. Depends how the needlestick went, etc. Each time it's different. No worries unless it seems to become infected at the site.

Cacoethes 11-04-2012 01:00 AM

Cool, thanks :)

The bruise thing is starting to fade a little now.
The nurse didn't put pressure on it so when I got home I found it had bled under the dressing, I think that is what you were saying could happen Kim?

Animad 11-04-2012 02:16 PM

Yep, it definately sounds like it's been bleeding under the skin. It shouldn't cause a problem and like has been said above, it's very common. I think it is likely to have been the lack of pressure on the area after it was removed which was the main factor behind this so if you have one again if possible make sure you put pressure on it for a while after.

Cacoethes 11-04-2012 08:12 PM

Thankyou :)