RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

felicity 10-03-2008 12:49 PM

Currently, and for uni, I'm reading King Lear.
But in general, I'm reading;
Gormenghast - Mervyn Peake
1984 - George Orwell &
A is for Ox - Lyn Davies

linder surprise 10-03-2008 01:13 PM

the time traveller's wife.
mega good.

Shakespeare's Strumpet 10-03-2008 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by majik67 (Post 597926)
Just finished "The Bell Jar" - Sylvia Plath [which I found strangely relaxing and reassuring considering the author, guess im just weird :P] , and am currently reading "Heart of Darkness" - Joseph Conrad, and "Life of Pi" - Yann Martel

You have amazing taste in literature. <3 I love Sylvia.

I'm reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte at the moment...

NaiveRagDoll 10-03-2008 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Buttons~ (Post 596788)
I loved Dracula when I read it!!!

I'm currently reading Stephen Fry's autobiography Moab is my washpot and I adore it with a passion

I loved Moab is My Washpot when i read it :-D
I'm reading The Corfu Trilogy by Gerald Durrell.
x

DisenchantedxRomance 10-03-2008 04:33 PM

I finished "Charms for the easy life" but I can't remember the author. It's an amazing book, it's very motivating as well.

Tig 10-03-2008 04:35 PM

I'm currently reading 'Minding Children' which is an Irish fiction novel by William Wall. I'm finding it quite hard to get in to, it all seems a bit confusing to me and it's quite heavy but I think it would be a good read if I had more concentration!

beautiful&dying 10-03-2008 06:36 PM

I'm reading Happiness TM By Will Ferguson. It's a mockery of the self help industry and books that can't possibly work. The premise is that imagine if a self help book actually work, what that would do as ann impact on society, so it's interesting as well as entertaining and unputdownable.
xxxxx

XxXflowerfairyXxX 10-03-2008 07:51 PM

The American boy- tis about some man who falls in love with AE Poe's best mate's mum and cousin. It's awesome.

The virgin Suicides- Just started it.

Useless Information 101 10-03-2008 08:05 PM

I just finished Insomnia by Stephen King, Im in the middle of High Fidelity by Nick Hornby and I hope to start The Amber Spyglass (I can not find the damn thing anywheree) and The Unbearable Lightness of Being soooonnn.

Haha I love being swamped in books.

TheCon 11-03-2008 09:13 PM

ahh this thread is making me want to read so many books. i already have 4 lined up next. not enoughhh timeeeee.

Nicholas 11-03-2008 09:19 PM

Am currently reading 'The hunchback of notre dame' - Very good.

Speed read 'my side of the story' in a few hours; one of the best books.

Should be reading 'Queen of the damned' and 'Dissconnected'...but I keep on getting distracted...

linder surprise 11-03-2008 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxXflowerfairyXxX (Post 617329)
The virgin Suicides- Just started it.

oh. virgin suicides is one of my favourite books ever. top three definitley.

Wonderful. 12-03-2008 08:52 PM

Scarred- Sophie Andrew, Its a pretty sad :(
But it's quite high in the book chart for a book about self-harm o.0
xxx

Daydream 12-03-2008 09:26 PM

I got Get Well Soon by Julie Halpern today. I've already finished it, but then again, its only 180 pages or so. It was pretty good! I also got another book, I'll post more when I've finished it.

mesmerized. 12-03-2008 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCon (Post 620152)
ahh this thread is making me want to read so many books. i already have 4 lined up next. not enoughhh timeeeee.

Yup, I know the feeling. I have a huge pile of books waiting to be read, and I keep buying more ><

I finished 'Pascal's Wager' which was rather good, although the title was slightly misleading - there was one chapter on the wager, and the majority of it was on his scientific work (and how he tried to reconcile it with his religious beliefs). Good book, definitely worth reading.

Yesterday I read 'Darwin's Angel' by John Cornwell, which is a response to 'The God Delusion' written from the perspective of the guardian angel of various scientists from Darwin to Dawkins. It isn't a comprehensive counter-argument to all of Dawkins' claims, but then it isn't intended to be. It's a pretty easy read demonstrating some of the major flaws in his arguments and the poor quality of his research in many cases. If nothing else, it's amusing. It gets slightly too personal in places, perhaps, but to a far lesser extent than Dawkins himself, and overall it's a very good read.

Today I started reading 'Sexism & God-Talk' by Rosemary Radford Ruether. I haven't got too far yet, but it seems interesting - though I don't think I'm going to agree with much she says.

I need to find some slightly lighter bedtime reading, but I don't know what to choose. I got 'Behind the Scenes at the Museum' by Kate Atkinson a while ago and haven't read it, so I might start that soon. Anyone read it?

And yes, I'm sorry for posting so much information about books that probably no-one else is interested in, lol. I get a bit enthusiastic =/

amixlovesxcheryl 15-03-2008 12:26 AM

Im reading 'The perks of being a wallflower'

linder surprise 15-03-2008 12:48 AM

today i bought:
jeanette winterson - oranges are not the only fruit.
d.h. lawrence - lady chatterley's lover (for uni, blahh).
& kate chopin - the awakening
from this amazing second hand book shop near my house.

Buttons. 15-03-2008 12:44 PM

Liar-Stephen Fry, it's good so far but a tad disjointed and confusing

tamobhuuta 15-03-2008 01:03 PM

i'm 9 pages in to "the ground beneath her feet"

Daydream 15-03-2008 02:32 PM

I've just finished reading ""It's kind of a funny story" by Ned Vizzini. Its really awesome!