RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Support and Advice (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Counsling or Not? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4364)

hldunbar452 14-06-2007 04:41 AM

Counsling or Not?

Every since i got home from college my friends have been nagging me nonstop about getting a counsler. I have all the paperwork and the contacts to get one but i just cant bring myself to call them. I dont understand. Why cant i take that step? Is there something that i am missing? Or should i just bite the bullet and call?

All I'm Living For 14-06-2007 04:56 AM

it depends on whether you think you need one enough to make the call. if you think you can mangage without them then you're not missing anything. though it can be stressful just to call them. if you think you need a counsellor, try and call. or if you cant call then you could ask someone to call on your behalf. i hope everything works out. and maybe you should tell you friend to stop nagging. it wouldnt be easy to call when you've got someone constantly nagging you.
take care.

soph.

hldunbar452 14-06-2007 05:14 AM

I know i need one. I keep telling myself i'll be fine on my own, but im not. Their nagging has stopped but now its just in my head, like a broken record. I tried the whole someone else calling on my behalf but it didnt work. They said this was something i have to be able to do by myself. Thanks though.

akita 14-06-2007 05:24 AM

Having counselling can be a huge help to get things out in the open that you are keeping to yourself. Can anyone phone them for you?

DancerJ 14-06-2007 05:26 AM

Calling is the hardest part!!!!!!! I promise it will only get better! You seem like you want to do this for you...therefore...do it! I know its hard...and ya know what? The office you are calling knows its hard too!
Take a deep breath, pick up the phone and go for it!!!!! You deserve a lot for doing this for yourself!!!! Im proud of you ;)
Hugs

Jeaninne

magic_heart 14-06-2007 09:28 AM

I am struggling too, we have a counsellor at college but i just can't bring myself to go and see him. Maybe its because i've spoke to other people who have seen him and they have said he isn't very nice. I want to see someone, I want to take that step. But I can't, i just can't.

Misanthropic Girl 14-06-2007 10:57 AM

what have you got to loose?

sparkle. 14-06-2007 01:03 PM

I started seeing my college counsellor over 3 months ago now and she has helped me a lot, I would definately say it is worth ringing up and going at least once? Just to see what it's like, you never have to go back again if you don't want to and it is entirely up to you what you talk about or don't talk about.
Think about what you want to do - you've identified that you need one, try and gear yourself up to give it a go! You'll only regret it if you don't...and if things get worse then what will you do? It may be harder to get help by then...
Best of luck and PM me if you want to know anything else or just a chat,
lisa xx

Breeze 14-06-2007 01:07 PM

Would it help to email one first and that way it may be easier than talking on phone at first contact.

sparkle. 14-06-2007 01:07 PM

* I just realised that I may have mis-read that,
you will be seeing a counsellor outside of college? Not the college counsellor as I thought?
:S
Hehe, either way try and give it a go, you can establish a great support network...it's got to be better than trying to get through things on your own,
take care,
xx

DancerJ 14-06-2007 02:24 PM

seeing a counslor was one of the hardest things i ever did...... but it saved my life
hugs
Jeaninne

meganf 14-06-2007 03:53 PM

seein a counciler could help u release some things that u neaver new where there and i thing u won't hv anything to loose if u do.
i think u should go for it but at the end of the day it is up to u

hldunbar452 14-06-2007 11:39 PM

Talked to my college counsler today. I looked over the people she recommended and i picked one out. She reminded me that it was only temperory so i shouldnt get so worked up over it. This is only until i go back to college where i can find a stable counsling enviornment. Just a stepping stone but one that is greatly needed. So i guess thats a start. Big phone call is tomorrow. Im having a friend come over for support, and make sure that i actually go through with it. Thanks for your help guys!

Slavecharolette 14-06-2007 11:44 PM

I understand how you feel, that first call for help can be terrifying. And it might take a few tries to find a councellor who works for you. But it is worth the call. I know how stupid you feel. Thinking you'll be ok without. The point is, you will be ok sooner and you will have that support while recovering.
I had a Psychologist first, then 2 councellors before i finally found the wonderful woman I am seeing now. She has helped me so much.
It wont be easy or quick, but it will happen. And though it is scary I think it is time to bite the bullet and give them a ring. Remember, you are doing something good for yourself, something self soothing. You are getting help. And that is always ok.
Stay safe:thumbup:

Beatrix 15-06-2007 04:23 AM

I can only speak for certain about my own experiences, and a little from those that I'm close to, but my suggestion would be to at least give it a try.

Counseling made a HUGE difference for me. I can now function in a relatively normal way. I have good days and bad days for sure, but compared to where I was a year ago . . . wow. The change is amazing, and it's all for the best. Many of my close friends have also found it to be very helpful. On top of that, everyone in my immediate family - both parents and my brother - have been in counseling at one point or another for various reasons, and all of them have really benefited.

It's not something to be embarassed about nor is it a sign of weakness as some people might have you believe. Rather, taking that step is a sign that you're taking responsibility for your own health and doing what you need to do to take care of yourself and feel well. I think it's a sign of great strength.

Here's the way my brother explained it to me - and I'm sure I've posted this here before: if you broke your leg, you wouldn't hesitate to go and see a doctor. Not seeing a doctor would just be silly, right? So, why should we treat our mental health with any less care? It is just as important and worth caring about.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you luck. Please take care.

DancerJ 15-06-2007 05:34 AM

Good luck hun
Im proud of you.....you should be proud of yourself :)

keep us posted
hugs
Jeaninne

sparkle. 15-06-2007 07:41 AM

Well done sweetie, good luck! (Not that you'll need it) =]
Take care
xxx