RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Movies about self-harm? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11441)

x-mixedemotions 29-07-2007 11:58 PM

Movies about self-harm?

Does anyone know any good movies about self-harm/depression?
ive seen
girl, interrupted
the virgin suicides
prozac nation

and was wondering if theres any others that people can suggest to me?
mixed
Xxx

something vague 30-07-2007 12:50 AM

Dans ma peau (translates to in my skin) is a film completely about self harm. It is the weirdest film I've ever watched, it's very graphic, I guess it could be 'triggering'.

It's pretty depressing, and from what I remember the ending left me feeling crap.

But yeah if you are looking for a film about self-injury..!

Gizzy 30-07-2007 12:54 AM

Thirteen. Although it's not really based on self harm, but does feature.

Doesnt_matter 30-07-2007 02:34 AM

I like the mentioned movies- Girl, Interrupted, Prozac Nation (but I prefer the book), Thirteen and I want to recommend some more movies I knew and like.

28 days is about Si, addiction and therapy (rehab) and it is one of my favourite movies.

There is a French movie called "Je vais bien, ne tīen fais pas" which is about depression and anorexia but unfortunately I donīt know if there is an English version of it but I guess so because there is a German version of it.
Btw, this movie is another favourite movie of mine.

Mad love is about manic depression and I like it, too.

Secretary is about SI and BDSM and I like this movie, too but I guess that not everybody will like it because of the other topic ;) .

Simply_Complex 30-07-2007 03:26 AM

i strongly recommend: painful secrets [aka secret cutting] a lifetime movie

and then as mentioned above:
thirteen
girl, interrupted
28 days
Cut [a documentary film created with the help of SAFE Alternatives co-founders]

SilverWings 30-07-2007 04:03 AM

Wow, I never knew Prozac Nation was a film!!

I've read the book, so I'm going to have to rent it now, hopefully it won't be a dissapointment.

***** 30-07-2007 11:43 AM

28 days has SI in it? How wierd... saw it (long ago) but can't remember that :)

But yeah all of the above really...and painfull secrets (also known as secret cutting)-very graphic though.

pixie*lyssie 30-07-2007 12:02 PM

Girl, Interrupted rocks. I watch it every day.

x-mixedemotions 30-07-2007 04:56 PM

ooh thank you :] ill be looking up all these and possibly renting some of them! i really want to see thirteen! might buy it online from somewhere or something! thanks again!
mixed xxxx

atropine 30-07-2007 07:52 PM

i was gonna say sectery as i watched it last night, but its a bit adult and maybe not for everyone... but maggie does really well in it me thinks...

purexcocaine 30-07-2007 08:00 PM

oooh got some good recommendations there myself.
i actually really want to see the film of prozac nation.
i loved girl, interrupted. didn't like the virgins suicide, just urgh.
13 is good.

<33

gypsyroselee 31-07-2007 06:11 PM

requiem for a dream.

more about drug addiction but you seem to be looking for depressing films & this one is definately up there with the best of them in that respect.

gypsyroselee 31-07-2007 06:13 PM

oh also, Betty Blue. it's french.it's wicked.

IamJamesGreens 31-07-2007 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atropine (Post 187963)
i was gonna say sectery as i watched it last night, but its a bit adult and maybe not for everyone... but maggie does really well in it me thinks...

I agree - it starts off with self-harm but then turns all adult...

Jelly Fairy 01-08-2007 01:06 AM

I watched Gothika the other night. It's not really that much related to self harm but contains a lot about mental health, and can be quite triggering.

The War Doctor 02-08-2007 04:26 AM

"Secretary" features SI, but only briefly... also its kinda adult, but PFFF.

Senzafine 02-08-2007 04:41 AM

"Secretary" involves SI - it's not the focus point, but it does play a key part in the beauty of the story (it's a romance, really). As others have said, it IS a bit adult, so mature audiences suggested. It's one of my favorite movies, so I'd definitely say go for it if you're up for a movie that's a little different.
"Girl, Interrupted" is also fantastic - I just watched it two days ago, and it's also a favorite now.

I might have to check out some of the other movies suggested here. :)

-Senzafine

Cupcake 02-08-2007 05:20 AM

manic is a good film. i can't remember if it features self harm, but it's about teenagers in a mental institution. i think it does, but as a major part of the film.

xPebblesx 04-08-2007 10:25 PM

My First Mister..check it out, its an awsome movie, i love it :)
xx

waddles3 05-08-2007 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cupcake (Post 192016)
manic is a good film. i can't remember if it features self harm, but it's about teenagers in a mental institution. i think it does, but as a major part of the film.

HELLA GOOD
omg...
thirteen i own... i love it.
Requiem for a dream i ended up selling for drugs, and that was probably kind of a good decision considering i would've relapsed by now if i watched it again
so if u watch it and you ever did drugs like... ever, and you slammed them... DONT WATCH IT
thats actually how i relapsed like ten times cuz that movie and spun.
which is sad, cuz it should make me think, 'ew i would never do that' but i just said oh drugs, lets go get some.
stupid mistakes :/

in manic there's some self harm ya,
:[
i cried.