RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Self-Harm Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Share your tips for staying SH free (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3541)

sweet_pain 10-02-2008 11:02 PM

I haven't stopped yet, but I'm working on it....
The song "make you smile" by Plus 44 helps me a lot because it reminds me of my coach because everytime he drives me home this songs plays (he has 1 cd he plays over and over again) and he knows everything about everything, and I need a reason outside of myslef to not SI. Right now I'm in the mind set that SI-ing is good for me and so I need to do it for someone else.
I can talk to him about anything. You know how some people just have that person that you trust with your life? He's my person.

numb 11-02-2008 06:50 PM

Hi,

well done to everyone who has stopped. I stoppped 4 months ago and it has been so hard. Everytime i want to cut my psychologist told me to cry, so thats what i do i just cry my eyes out, i just let it all out, whether it be at home, at work, on the bus, at college, in a supermarket/shop, i just sit there on the floor and cry my eyes out (obvioulsy when no-one is looking). and i feel so much better after i have let it out.

take care x

leaveoutalltherest 12-02-2008 06:38 PM

I remember once sprinting from my house, just running as fast as I could... I didn't even know where I was going, until I was physically exhausted and had to focus on my breathing rather than my emotions.

Life Must Go On 15-02-2008 11:35 AM

ive not stopped, but am trying
i find that doing jigsaws helps (now u all thing im wierd :tongue2: )
but it really can take ur mind off it
also music can help
so music + jigsaw = :thumbup:

pixie*lyssie 15-02-2008 12:41 PM

Don't fall in love... or at least try not to. LoL

Desperado 04-03-2008 02:46 AM

hey, sorry if my ideas have already been suggested, but when I get urges to harm, I think about why, or who, or what caused the urges, and convince myself - if it's a person- that they're not worth it, and that I shouldn't give them the er... privilege *lol* of hurting me, basically it's a f*** you attitude.

_plastic 15-03-2008 08:11 PM

Online buddies are awesome

love u all <3

Ashleygray 15-03-2008 09:40 PM

I have a piece of wood that is the length of my forearm (knuckles to elbow). I plainted it red and then painted over it white.

When i feel the need to cut, i rest the wood on my arm and use the 'tools' i would usually use to cut myself, to cut the wood.
You can feel the force of the tool, as the wood is resting on your arm, yet it doesnt hurt a bit!

thefuturebelongs2u 18-03-2008 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bounce!Back!Desperado (Post 600252)
hey, sorry if my ideas have already been suggested, but when I get urges to harm, I think about why, or who, or what caused the urges, and convince myself - if it's a person- that they're not worth it, and that I shouldn't give them the er... privilege *lol* of hurting me, basically it's a f*** you attitude.

i love that! i'll have to try it,

i play guitar hero. haha, keeps the hands occupied:-D

Stress Free Anxiety 25-03-2008 03:43 PM

I definately have to count days (well, months now). The whole "I've made it almost three months without, why should I cut now?" mentality just works for me. I also have one of Dan's hoodies with me and I put that on when I have the urges. It's something I told myself I would never cut in and it feels so warm and soft it's just like he's there hugging me and the urges tend to go away. Red felt pen and red food coloring are also useful for me, oh and this princess coloring book I bought for $1 at walmart.

Queer Fringe 25-03-2008 05:38 PM

HYPNOSIS!!!!

I-Feel-Infinite 25-03-2008 08:45 PM

i haven't been successful recently as it's easter holidays and the boredom is making me SI...

but i did manage it for MONTHS before...

i make sure i'm not bored... thats my main tip - i ALWAYS think about cutting when bored.

I also write down all my problems on a piece of paper (in red if you so wish...) then use my "tools" to cut up the piece of paper to "cut up" you're problems... v. ritualistic... but it seems to work....

and calling a friend - preferably one who knows you SI - then you can talk about it instead of doing it. and i find crying down the phone the best relief ever..!

hope it works!
xxxxxxxx

Some Kind Of Monster 27-03-2008 04:24 PM

What worked for me was getting rid of sharp things that could be used to harm myself. Since I was broke due to job loss and I get no allowance, I just couldn't afford to get myself anything that I could use to cut. Eventually, I got out of it.

AIMLESSWANDERER 20-04-2008 05:16 PM

Exercise jsut getting out of the house, going somewhere anywhere on my bike.
And recently i found putting deep freeze gel on my wrist when i want to cut it numbs it, and kind of takes the urge away.

[Great idea for a thread ]

jess_squared 02-05-2008 10:12 AM

I do line drawings.. They're swirly lines that do connect back with each other, and I color them. The colors usually wind up having to do something with the emotions I'm feeling at that moment. That's when I'm most emotional.

Keeping my hands occupied in general.. Folding origami stars is good.

And talking. Learning to open up and talk to people helps. Finding someone that you can poke at to distract you is very good.

Yume.No.Chikara 03-05-2008 03:14 AM

Reading this thread!

Sitting on my hands so I actually can't hurt myself!

Repeating to myself over and over again, 'you can do this, everything is going to be ok' - tell someone somthing enough times and they'll start to believe it!

Making bread (paticularly good if you're angry) - kneading the dough is fab for punching or doing whatever you want to it...could even make it into the shape of wherever you want to sh...add red food dye, whatever! Plus you get somthing tasty to eat at the end!

Also I've decided that I want to become a social worker and I know I need to get better for that!

I think what has also really helped is that i'm travelling with my best friend who knows and I know I couldn't put her in that position!

Keep up the good work everyone! You are ALL fantastic!

coromaborealis 06-05-2008 08:57 AM

I find that drawing red lines on my arms help me from actually harming myself... You still get the colour of blood etc, but your actually not doing any harm to yourself... This has helped me alot.

emily.ily9 17-05-2008 05:18 AM

recognize that behind every urge is an issue, whether it's the stress of the day, the depression, or your addiction to SI, and that almost every problem HAS a solution. if you can't think of one, you'll often be surprised by other people's ability to find it. if they can't either, ask for help in making it through the tough time until you can manage on your own.

there are always more resources than you think, especially if you take the time to seek them out.

you CAN get through this.

Ghostface 22-05-2008 10:11 PM

I sleep O.o

Alone and Scared 27-05-2008 07:56 AM

Laying on my hands.
Drawing on myself.
Crying.
Wiggling about..... :|
Um.... x