RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Support and Advice (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   CBT vs antidepressants - discuss (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128893)

manics_revol 02-03-2010 01:01 AM

CBT vs antidepressants - discuss

I've been feeling crap for a while, it's probably been a decade since I was properly happy. But lately I've been worse and have been reverted to SI and where usually I'm able to put on a front and act like everything's ok, I've found it hard to conceal from my close friends recently. A few of them have suggested I try cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) and I was wondering if anyone else has tried and if it's helped? I've tried taking antidepressants before but even after I asked them to increase my dose I don't notice any difference, so I gave up taking them after a while. I don't know, has anyone had better experience with medication? I suppose there must be people they work for...

But also, given the problems are with me and aren't just a figment of my imagination, would therapy/pills help anyway? I mean, they don't change what's real and what's not, so how could they make things better then?

Meh.

makedamnsure 02-03-2010 11:59 AM

CBT helps give you ways of coping. It is less about WHY you feel like you do , and more aimed at finding ways to help you feel better.

Its worth giving a go, it helps some people, might not help others but with any kind of therapy you have to go in with an open mind and be prepared to put some effort in. You might get homework and stuff from it.

As far as the pills go, did anyone else notice a difference in you when you were on them? Sometimes a difference might not be noticable to you but your family might see it.

Fry 02-03-2010 01:00 PM

i think CBT has a lot higher chance of helping you than medication as it's you having control over your thought processes and manually challenging your negative thoughts and changing them into positive therefore changing how you feel to be happier.
i don't think much of medication helping depression, and certainly not on it's own.

sherlock holmes 02-03-2010 03:35 PM

I dont really think its a case of CBT or medication, they both work best together.

Ami 02-03-2010 04:40 PM

I think it depends on whats right for you, but both together can work pretty well.

The thing is with medication, they wont change circumstances, but they can make emotions less intense so things are easier to deal with. They do work for some people but not for everyone. Also I can understand the fustration of its been weeks and there not working! Ive been on mine over 5 month and only noticed a somewhat change a month ago. Its not happiness, or normallity its just "not as bad as it was".

But cbt helps you challenge thoughts, and stop them snowballing into making you feel really bad. An example with me is that I do an exam and come out thinking Ive failed, which leads to numerous bad thoughts and other "evidence" that Im a failure, and I end up feeling really bad because it triggered lots and lots of negative thoughts.
I didnt even actually consider that I'd passed, and I didnt even know so how could have i jumped to that conclusion so quickly? I just thought id share that example so you could see how it works, kind of.

Its also good with problems like self harm, where you can look at triggers and discuss best ways to deal with them with your therapist, and keep a log diary with your thoughts and feelings and how they change with alternative ways to cope.

Also you learn how to check if things are real or if theres an alternative reason to why you think something is happening. Ive found this helpful because even if I end up accepting that it is real, to me at least, I dont have to get bothered by it or do things that put me in danger.

Anyhoo, i think both is the best. Having being depressed for so long you're probably caught up in a lot of cycles that cbt could help, and meds can make the feelings not as "strong".

x

NeonHaze 02-03-2010 05:06 PM

Theres a lower case of relapses in depression in those who have anti depressants and CBT, but its different for each person

Minotaur 02-03-2010 06:30 PM

I think you're supposed to combine antidepressants with CBT?

Antidepressants have definitely helped for me, but not enough to actually cure my depression. What's really helped in my case is the brilliant counsellor I'm seeing who does CBT work with me, and we're working on challenging my unduly negative and irrational thoughts. Right now I'm much more in control of my own life and happiness than before both the citalopram and help from my counsellor.

If your antidepressant isn't working, perhaps you should ask to switch to a different one? Antidepressants work on a trial-and-error basis: as we all have different DNA, antidepressants are going to have a slightly different effect on each individual. The only way to find which one is right for you is by trying various ones out. I had to try fluoxetine, mirtazapine and citalopram before I discovered that this is the right one for me personally.

Hope this helps.

manics_revol 02-03-2010 10:29 PM

Thanks for the responses guys, really useful info.

Does anyone know about getting CBT on the NHS? I've heard you have to wait ages, but it looks really expensive otherwise... also, I'm worried about telling work - I've not told them anything and although they're pretty cool (people come in a bit late to have acupuncture/physio etc) I'm worried something like this could be bad career-wise...

makedamnsure 02-03-2010 10:44 PM

I think there is a waiting list quite long sometimes.
you might be able to get community based cbt depending on circumstances.

Ami 02-03-2010 11:04 PM

Sometimes there can be but Ive never had to wait more than 1 month. xx

Minotaur 03-03-2010 12:43 AM

Do you work or are you at university? Because if you're at uni, you may be able to get it from the student support centre. If not, the waiting list shouldn't be too long on the NHS. Also, there's always an organisation called Mind you could try who also do CBT for free.

Stellata 03-03-2010 08:30 AM

Remember also that CBT isn't the only therapy there is. Just because the NHS hypes it up doesn't mean it is your only option. Research into what therapy you feel may help you best.

manics_revol 04-03-2010 01:43 AM

Sadly my uni days are long gone, I allegedly have a 9-5 job but it's actually more like 9-7... :-(

Fani 06-03-2010 12:55 PM

I've just finished a 6 week CBT course and didn't find it helped at all. Whenever I was actualy in the sessions I felt better because I felt that I was doing something to sort myself out, to make everyting better for me, but thats like what, 50 minutes a week? I did eveything that they said I should do, but I just didnt find it helped.
I'm starting AD's again, begining today actualy, and I'm hoping that they will help. I've been on three others before with not much sucess though, so I haven't got high hopes
x.

HopeRises 07-03-2010 05:36 PM

I've had CBT before, I am now on the waiting list again (but its 5months long in my area) I found it helpful for awhile but overall, antidepressents with CBT is meant to be more successful.

It helped me at the time, but a few years down the line and I back to the scared shell that I used to be..probably because I didn't keep up with challenging negative thoughts and things..it's hard work especailly when your depressed and you believe all the negative thoughts your hearing/telling yourself.

You could try MoodGYM it's an online program (It's also free) Search moodGYM in google. I'm currently doing it. It is incredibly basic but if you've not done CBT before, it could be helpful.

I have to say, I don't think it's helping me at all (moodGYM), but you know sometimes you'll be working and working at getting better and not seeing any difference and then one day you realise "Wow I just done such un such" Like for me I am terrified of phones, don't answer them, don't ring people. If someone answered the phone and it was for me, I'd talk but thats it. Then on friday I answered the phone and yesterday I rang someone, It's like you wonder how you get to the 'better place'..it all slots into place without you noticing if that makes sense? so it might be doing some good after all.

The lady I had an assesment for CBT with also recommended me a book. I bought it (but you can probably get it from the library) I haven't really looked at it yet though.

I do think CBT can be helpful but it depends what your problems are probably. It won't solve everything..but yeah. M,aybe it's best to speak to your GP about it and see whats avalible in your area..prehaps it's best to start with a therapist, but depends how long the list is..also like others have said, there might be stuff in your comunity. I know that my local CMHT run courses (Primary care) on stress management and things and most of that is CBT based, I think they are 'self referal' aswell. So try 'Mind'/your GP, ask around.

Feel free to PM me if your interested in the book.

rockaroni 08-03-2010 05:23 PM

MoodGYM is pretty good, especially to keep you tied over for a while. I found it kinda got me into the mindframe for CBT, but without having to actually talk to someone about things.

I'm currently going through CBT (& have been on ADs for almost 2 years), and I'm finding it very challenging, and quite helpful as a result. I think it only took a couple of months on the waitlist, but obvs in different areas the wait times will vary.