RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Slipknot (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54386)

DVM 03-07-2008 08:18 PM

Slipknot

[Nu-Metal(early stuff)/Alternative/Thrash]

Slipknot formed in 1995 in the rather isolated town of Des Moines in Iowa, they set out to craft a sound that was unlike that of the mainstream. With material they had written they performed a handful of shows under the name Meld, their first show was on 4th December 1995 at the club "Crowbar" where they would play a number of shows.

After a year of shows and writing the band which was then much different to how it is today entered the studio to record their first album, this album would go by the name of "Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat" and would be the first time fans got to hear the sound of Slipknot.

Fastforward to the year 1999, the band are now signed to Roadrunner Records and have just released their first major label album "Slipknot", the album was recieved to critical acclaim and laid the solid foundations for what was to come. The time of Slipknot was firmly upon the world.

After a few years of touring the major label debut and multiple side projects Slipknot settled down to release the follow up, this eventually went by the name of their homestate "IOWA", the album was generally received positively and expanded on their manic sound making it much heavier and inaccesible, but that didn't change a thing the public loved it.

The time between album number two and album number three was relatively short, they began writing and recording the album "Vol 3: The Subliminal Verses" with the help of producer Rick Rubin, this album was touted as a much more melodic affair with more more experimentality involved.

After the release of the album and a tour schedule that saw them player over 300 shows in a year the band went on hiatus, this hiatus saw the band members forming other bands and taking part in other bands such as Stone Sour, To My Surprise, Korn, Metallica and for those black metal fans out there Satyricon.

After 4 years of waiting Slipknot are back, the band is older as a collective and in mind. They have taken the experiences of other bands and added it to their manic sound, they have recorded a new album set for release on 26th August 2008, this album goes by the name of "All Hope Is Gone" and has been touted as their heaviest album to date.

Corey Taylor - Vocals
Mick Thomson - Guitars
James Root - Guitars
Paul Gray - Bass
Joey Jordison - Drums, Mixing
Shawn "Clown" Crahan – Custom Percussion, Backing Vocals
Chris Fehn – Custom Percussion, Backing Vocals
Sid Wilson – Turntables
Craig "133" Jones - Samples, Media

Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat (1996)

Tracklisting:

01. Slipknot
02. Gently
03. Do Nothing/Bitchslap
04. Only One
05. Tattered and Torn
06. Confessions
07. Some Feel
08. Killers Are Quiet/Dogfish Rising

Slipknot (1999)

Tracklisting:

01. 742617000027
02. (Sic)
03. Eyeless
04. Wait and Bleed
05. Surfacing
06. Spit It Out
07. Tattered and Torn
08. Me Inside
09. Liberate
10. Prosthetics
11. No Life
12. Diluted
13. Only One
14. Scissors/Eeyore

IOWA (2001)

Tracklisting:

01. (515)
02. People = ****
03. Disasterpiece
04. My Plague
05. Everything Ends
06. The Heretic Anthem
07. Gently
08. Left Behind
09. The Shape
10. I Am Hated
11. Skin Ticket
12. New Abortion
13. Metabolic
14. Iowa

Vol 3: The Sublinal Verses (2004)

Tracklisting:

01. Prelude 3.0
02. The Blister Exists
03. Three Nil
04. Duality
05. Opium of the People
06. Circle
07. Welcome
08. Vermillion
09. Pulse of the Maggots
10. Before I Forget
11. Vermillion Pt. 2
12. The Nameless
13. The Virus of Life
14. Danger - Keep Away

All Hope Is Gone (2008)

Tracklisting

01. execute
02. Gematria (The Killing Name)
03. Sulfur
04. Psychosocial
05. Dead Memories
06. Vendetta
07. Butcher's Hook
08. Gehenna
09. This Cold Black
10. Wherein Lies Continue
11. Snuff
12. All Hope Is Gone

Bonus Tracks

13. Child of Burning Time
14. Til We Die
15. Vermilion Pt 2. (Bloodstone mix)
16. Unrevealed Exclusive iTunes Pre Order Track

Wait and Bleed (from Slipknot 2000)
Spit It Out (from Slipknot 2000)
The Heretic Anthem (from IOWA 2001)
Left Behind (from IOWA 2001)
My Plague (from IOWA 2001)
Duality (from Vol 3: The Subliminal Verses 2004)
Vermillion (from Vol 3: The Subliminal Verses 2004)
Before I Forget (from Vol 3: The Subliminal Verses 2005)
The Nameless (from Vol 3: The Subliminal Verses 2005)
The Blister Exists (from Vol 3: The Subliminal Verses 2007)
All Hope Is Gone (from All Hope Is Gone 2008)
Psychosocial (from All Hope Is Gone 2008)

Credit: Spinner.com for the exclusive.

Thats it for my rundown of Slipknot from their start to present day, the reason i did this was Slipknot are one of if not my favourite band, and with a new album coming out i wanted to create a definative start point for anyone looking to get into their sound and also start a thread for other fans to talk about them. I have found that there are many fans that didn't even know of the new album so i hope this thread will serve some purpose to anyone that is interested in the band.

All of this was written by me, all images scaled to fit the purpose.

Thank you, DVM 2008

Field Of Paper Flowers 03-07-2008 08:59 PM

Ooooo nice thread Adam! =D

Looks all professional and shizz. ;)

Red Lotus. 03-07-2008 09:01 PM

I love Slipknot!

IamJamesGreens 03-07-2008 09:42 PM

New masks and Pyschosocial stream here:

http://www.spinner.com/2008/07/01/ne...sks-exclusive/

Field Of Paper Flowers 03-07-2008 09:48 PM

I saw the new masks when Adam was here yesterday. They look cool, and I'm not even a Slipknot fan lol. =P

MeganAlmighty 03-07-2008 09:58 PM

i like what you've done m'dear but i realy do truely think that slipknot are awfull

DVM 03-07-2008 10:21 PM

Haha i've heard that before "True" and i respect that, can't have everyone loving Slipknot afterall. :-D

Thank you for the link "Interstella5555" i have added their masks to the main post. :cool:

Field Of Paper Flowers 03-07-2008 10:28 PM

They sell a Slipknot mask at Grindstore for £34.99...

http://www.grindstore.com/slipknot-m...awn_20498.html

monket 04-07-2008 07:42 AM

Wow! Very informative :D

Slipknot is pretty awesome. Liking the masks.

the darkness inside me 04-07-2008 07:53 AM

slipknot rules! paul grey does a extremely well job on the bass

Douglass 04-07-2008 12:25 PM

Psychosocial is good but all hope is gone is terrible!
both songs going to be on the new album so this album is going to be hit or miss for me.
Hope they sing psychosocial at Leeds festival, would be interesting to hear how it sounds live and how the crowd react

Zedebee 04-07-2008 12:31 PM

I adore them. Really very much so.

DVM 04-07-2008 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglass (Post 896387)
Psychosocial is good but all hope is gone is terrible!
both songs going to be on the new album so this album is going to be hit or miss for me.
Hope they sing psychosocial at Leeds festival, would be interesting to hear how it sounds live and how the crowd react

I am just curious but what is that you don't like about "All Hope Is Gone", i find the mix of the old Slipknot sound and their new almost death metal type drumming and riffing is just a refreshing change. I realise everyone has their own personal tastes i was just wondering if you could elaborate further. ;-)

Ami 04-07-2008 03:33 PM

yey these are going to be at leeds :)
x

Douglass 04-07-2008 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DVM (Post 896590)
I am just curious but what is that you don't like about "All Hope Is Gone", i find the mix of the old Slipknot sound and their new almost death metal type drumming and riffing is just a refreshing change. I realise everyone has their own personal tastes i was just wondering if you could elaborate further. ;-)

Thats the thing, I have no idea why I don't like it! In theory it should be something I love but its just not clicking with me. Once the album comes out though and I get to listen to it with the rest of the songs it may grow on me which happens a lot. Hell maybe even hearing them do it live might sway me.
Though I have a lot of faith in Slipknot so I hope I will love the rest of the album.

DVM 04-07-2008 05:28 PM

Ah that is quite a weird one, i guess some things in life just cannot be explained and this is just another of those mysteries. I do hope this new album has very few soft tracks, Vol 3 was an ok album it just had too many soft tracks this record better be heavy from start to finish.

Douglass 04-07-2008 05:55 PM

I think their softer tracks are really good so as silly as it sounds I glad they got it out of their system on one album. Because they would seem a bit out of place if spread across the other albums.

Also can not wait till to see them again as its been over 3 years since the last time.
I also hope the Slipknot/Machine Head/Children of Bodom tour comes to the UK since they have a tour date in Paris together

DVM 05-07-2008 11:29 AM

Ah yes i think that tour is coming to the UK this year, though it will be around November/December time. It will be the same lineup as the North American tour with Machine Head and Children of Bodom opening their act, i think there could be another act seeing as it is in the UK, possibly an unsigned band from the local area as Corey has always been into letting new talent rock the big stage.

Douglass 06-07-2008 11:26 PM

Not much chance of it being in November, their tour around Europe goes from the 5th till the 22nd with 14 shows.

Though they then have 2 tour dates on the 14 and 15th December, its a bit too close to Christmas to do shows after that but its possible for a late November/early December tour.

However they finish their USA tour on August 19, have their Leeds/Reading shows 22+24th August leaving September and October free.
From what I know they are doing a full UK tour, no idea on show numbers though.

DVM 09-07-2008 04:46 PM

I am sure they will come to the UK at some point hopefully they will still be playing the majority of their new album better songs, i have found they have a habbit of mixing their tracklisting up far to fast. I know people want to hear their old stuff but after a new album the majority i would like to think are there to hear what their new material sounds like live.

Oh and i have updated the first post with the full tracklisting for All Hope Is Gone along with the official album art.