RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Veterans Board (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Supported housing (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184887)

MrsNutkin 19-03-2012 08:38 PM

Supported housing

I have 'mild' cerebral palsy. I can't cook if it involves preparing stuff like veg.

I'm actually concerned about DLA changing to PIP because one of the questions is can you prepare a simple meal? (I should add that the changes are not confirmed as yet but proposals I have heard say this) it's a bit of topic but yeah I'm worried I'll miss out on support because I don't 'know' the system as it were. That's off topic just slightly...

The main point of this post is to ask if I'd be likely to be eligible for some kind of supported accommodation if I needed/wanted it. I have GAD ('only' diagnosed by a GP) and depression as well as my 'mild' CP. I live with my boyfriend and we get on fine etc but it's just a hypothetical question really, if I had to live alone could supported housing be an option?

I seem to 'fall short' of support because I'm 'new' to the system and don't know how to jump through the hoops. It feels like one has to jump through hoops and play to the politics of the frankly outdated 'system'

Am I being terribly outspoken here or should I be getting more help? I understand people can't advise as we aren't professionals here but it feels like I am always drawing the short straw.

It feels like others in my situation would be able to access more support.

Doikers 19-03-2012 11:36 PM

I live in supported accomodation Syrup , I qualifies through depression , as my social worker always says , fill in the form as if you are at you very worst , If sometimes you can't cook put that down , Put every last detail of your illness at the worst *Hugs*

MrsNutkin 23-03-2012 05:56 PM

Thank you for the replies :)

It's not that I need it now but if my bf died or we split then I believe I would need to be in some form of supported housing. I can't prepare veg because I have (mild) cerebral palsy which means I have very little dexterity in my hand.
I think my anxiety would be terrible on my own. I would become isolated and very lonely. I would feel scared that something really bad would happen, like I would be attacked or whatever.

I would think from supported housing I would benefit from having regular contact with people, Someone would be able to support me in terms of physical stuff I can't do like cooking and getting ready. Perhaps, there would be mental support too?

thanks again for the replies

Ballerina123 24-03-2012 12:21 AM

I was in supported housing for 2 years. It was ok.
Where I was there was only support Monday to Friday 9-5. I was very ill at that time with ED and depression so I sometimes felt like the support was not quite enough. But that was my personal experience.

I know that you usually have to be pretty ill to be considered. It is a bit like hospital where only the illest get to go into hospital because there are few beds. Same with supported housing, there are few houses/rooms available.

Are you under a mental health team or is it just your GP?

Mrs Sam 24-03-2012 05:05 PM

If you didn't qualify for supported housing you may qualify for a home help. Someone who could maybe come in from 4-6pm each day and help you prepare a meal.

Social services can also offer stuff like house modifications if needed to allow you to be independant.

random.swirls 24-03-2012 11:56 PM

I don't know much about supported housing but I do know it's a scarce resource and the aim is to get someone living independently.

Things like the vegetables if you get DLA which I think you do could be spent buying ready chopped vegetables which are available in the majority of supermarkets and are cheap in shops like iceland. From the little I know about supported housing for mental health anyway they would expect you to do this rather than do it for you.

Mandimoo 25-03-2012 05:45 PM

If ready prepared veg are too expensive then frozen veg is usaully chopped, another thing could be a hot/ready meal food service like meals on wheels or where you order meals in to be delivered to your home - you could also get these with your normal shopping n tesco etc, although they're perhaps not the most nutritious meals available. I know the pampered chef anpmongst other kitchen gadget suppliers sell a chopping tool where you put the food in a pot and it is operted by pushing straight down on a handle

Duck 25-03-2012 10:51 PM

Supported housing is almost always short term. Since you will always have CP, they'd probably be looking more at getting an Occupational Therapist to help you find ways of looking after yourself, or possibly help from Social Services - though that's increasingly scarce.
Most supported housing for MH would expect you to do your own cooking.

MrsNutkin 26-03-2012 10:36 AM

Thanks for the replies :) They were useful. It's not an issue at the moment because I'm coping but to pick up on points raised here I have felt in the past not 'ill enough' despite there being guidance from NICE on the increased risk of mental health problems in those faced with physical issues.
To pick up on what Duck says, yeah, I'll always have CP - it won't get worse, the damage is already done but the symptoms might be exacerbated by ageing.

I suppose I'm just worried about how I would cope if I needed to live alone.

Thanks for the replies

random.swirls 26-03-2012 06:01 PM

If you were to end up in a situation where you were to suddenly be alone chances are there would be a wait before you could move into supported housing if you were to qualify and I don't know your symptoms but I know you've said your cerebral palsy is mild and if your only under the care of your GP for mental health issues chances are you wouldn't be eligible for it as it really is for people who couldn't live alone and the only alternative would be long term hospitilistation.

Maybe this is something you and your boyfriend could work on? Make a list of what you struggle with and together come up with some solutions - what do you think about some of the suggestions made in this thread about the vegetable side of things? Maybe you could ask your GP for a referral to an Occupational Therapist or get some suggestions from them if you are eligible?

DR. KATE 23-04-2012 02:56 AM

They could give you "floating" supoort :) i had floating supoort and it was very useful :)
yiu potentially could get i with your other half there too. But as u dont need it atm therws no point! !

If anythig was to happen there woukd be somethin out there to help you :) so dont panic :) xx

MrsNutkin 23-04-2012 07:49 PM

thanks purple that is really reassuring