RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   my computer forgot how to count! (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36133)

~invisible~girl~ 19-02-2008 12:58 AM

my computer forgot how to count!

I found this error message rather amusing, and thought I'd share...

Quote:

Time Machine Error

This backup is too large for the backup volume. The backup requires 346.9 MB but only 1.1 GB are available.

Yeah, so 1 GB = 1000 MB

Pyro 19-02-2008 01:01 AM

maybe some of that space is secretly taken over buy stuff. maybe naughty things are hiding. (1 GB = 1024 MB =P )

~invisible~girl~ 19-02-2008 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyro (Post 565814)
(1 GB = 1024 MB =P )

It can be defined either way... I went with 1000 cause it's more intuitive if you're used to SI units, and since the point was just to preemptively avoid the "isn't 346.9 MB more than 1.1 GB?" question...

Pyro 19-02-2008 01:14 AM

if ur running any microsoft OS then u will get errors like that because most of the programmers are stupid. i once got an error that said 'error, no keyboard present, please press F1 to continue'

~invisible~girl~ 19-02-2008 01:23 AM

lol... But I'm running Mac OS X. I don't generally expect these things from Apple. No, Apples issues are more along the lines of hiding one of the screws in my iBook under a magnet (apparently for no reason other than to deter people taking their computers apart).

Apparently it's making progress though - I tried to run the backup again, and this time it informed me that it needs 100.0 MB and there are only 1.7 GB available. So I'm not really looking forward to killing my backup disk and starting over, but it looks like that's what's gonna have to happen... at least the error messages were entertaining.

Dreamer And Believer 19-02-2008 06:32 AM

lols...I love my Macbook but it does funny stuff too. once it "ate" a CD--just sucked it in, wouldn't show up on the computer & wouldn't eject. then when I turned it on its side and pressed eject again it was fine all of a sudden. :P

Samzi 19-02-2008 07:02 AM

I got an error tonight from my virus protection thing when I accidentally hit the update button. Something along the lines of "free trials are not eligible for current updates. Any further attempt to do so will be documented"

A-I paid for my program
B-What are they going to do if I keep hitting the button?

Bleeding Angel 19-02-2008 11:16 AM

computers are silly things

Pictsie 19-02-2008 11:28 AM

I hate computers
You're counting glitch could be its saying it needs that much more and its got lost in translation (boring and kinda logical, it can't count's much more fun)
I actually had my computer tell me the internet browser I've just opened (ie6 I think) is trying to access the internet, do I want to allow it? Smart security software

pixie*lyssie 19-02-2008 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyro (Post 565845)
'error, no keyboard present, please press F1 to continue'

haha that's so funny! and yessss I am easily amused!

liquidzilla 19-02-2008 11:56 AM

Maybe it just wants some free space kept incase it has to do an automatic backup? Mine wont let me fill it completely, so either its a design error or it does have a reason ^^

Douglass 19-02-2008 12:50 PM

Nothing to do with the original topic at all, but it made me lol.

black_sheep 19-02-2008 07:02 PM

^ lol! thats hillarious! x

Pyro 20-02-2008 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liquidzilla (Post 566396)
Maybe it just wants some free space kept incase it has to do an automatic backup? Mine wont let me fill it completely, so either its a design error or it does have a reason ^^

actually, thats a good point, if u have less than 200mb left on your computer then it nags and nags at u no get more space, maybe its saving some space for a special occasion

~invisible~girl~ 20-02-2008 12:28 AM

I think the error message was just plain wrong - when I clicked on the drive itself it said it only had like 14 MB left. So it's probably just a bug with how the programmed the numbers to be displayed in the error message - it just happened to produce a rather amusing result.

Pyro 20-02-2008 12:35 AM

maybe it was all a ploy by skynet to get u to think your computer was stupid while all the time it was using ur computer and many others to build a super server capable of controlling the entire world and ultimately putting the existence of the entire human race in jeopardy............ i think i watch too much tv =(

Mandimoo 20-02-2008 01:14 AM

about the cd eating computer... my dad was trying to fix my uncle's golf game and the cd exploded in his machine! took hours to hoover out all the bits lol! mand x

Lampost 20-02-2008 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyro (Post 568292)
maybe it was all a ploy by skynet to get u to think your computer was stupid while all the time it was using ur computer and many others to build a super server capable of controlling the entire world and ultimately putting the existence of the entire human race in jeopardy............ i think i watch too much tv =(

Hun, I think you might just :P
:D xx

OutOfTheWoods11 20-02-2008 03:23 PM

Gigabyte and Gibibytes are two different things:

Quote:

As of 2007, most consumer hard drives are defined by their gigabyte-range capacities. The true capacity is usually some number above or below the class designation. Although most manufacturers of hard disks and Flash disks define 1 gigabyte as 1,000,000,000 bytes, the computer operating systems used by most users usually calculate a gigabyte by dividing the bytes (whether it is disk capacity, file size, or system RAM) by 1,073,741,824. This distinction is a cause of confusion, as a hard disk with a manufacturer rated capacity of 400 gigabytes may have its capacity reported by the operating system as only 372 GB, depending on the type of report.
The difference between units based on SI and binary prefixes increases exponentially — in other words, an SI kilobyte is nearly 98% as much as a kibibyte, but a megabyte is under 96% as much as a mebibyte, and a gigabyte is just over 93% as much as a gibibyte. This means that a 500 GB hard disk drive would appear as "465 GB". As storage sizes get larger and higher units are used, this difference will become more pronounced.

II_infinitum 21-02-2008 05:31 AM

In reference to the free space issue, Have you run Disk Utility on the volume.

~invisible~girl~ 21-02-2008 05:37 AM

I saw no point as it did seem to actually be full - it was the error message that was broken, not the disk. I did use disk utility to erase it though.

Time Machine keeps sequential backups, so it eventually fills up any disk you give it, and there are still some bugs with deleting old backups when that happens. So yeah, it wasn't weird that the disk would be full, it was just the error message that was weird.