RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

Devil Girl 17-01-2010 11:53 AM

I have finished The Secret Scripture - it was good, very nicely writen but the story did not blow me away!

Now starting Just Another Kid By Torey Heyden - this is the first Torey Heyden book I have read/about to read, but so far its good, her writing keeps you reading, but could see most of her books being very similar! My friend bought me it for my christmas.

walkingwounded 17-01-2010 05:09 PM

The wolf Of Wallstreet - Jordan Belfort
One of the best books ive ever read, having worked in the industry before now, this guy managed to scam literally millions, and waxed it on coke, hookers and a new lifestyle. good read :)

SugarSkulls 17-01-2010 05:16 PM

I'd just read Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen which was enlightening and Pretties by Scott Westerfeld which was weird but kinda cool too.

I'm now reading Handel With Care by Jodi Picoult which is looking pretty good so far.

Because I'm agrophobic it's hard to go outside so I find myself reading a lot!

Sparky! 18-01-2010 12:36 AM

Just read 'Scarred' - Sophie Andrews. It was ok. Nothing special, tbh. I feel like as a book, it wasn't amazingly well written or anything, and the only reason so many people seem to like it is the subject matter and the 'strength' of the author [which I'm not denying. Just doesn't make it a great book].

Now going to read 'The Abortionist's Daughter' - Elisabeth Hyde.

ThinkingofRecovery 19-01-2010 08:31 PM

I'm finally getting around to reading 'Breaking Dawn' - borrowed from my housemate. I quite enjoyed Eclipse after the let down of New Moon so I'm hoping this will be a good one aswell

BabySteps 19-01-2010 09:10 PM

Today iam Alice - Alice Jamieson
amazing

NiceCube9 23-01-2010 12:18 AM

Plague of the Dead was zombie-licious by Z. A Recht.

Sparky! 23-01-2010 01:17 AM

'The Abortionist's Daughter' was quite good, I enjoyed it.

Now about to read 'Trust Me I'm a Junior Doctor' - Max Pemberton.

ThinkingofRecovery 23-01-2010 01:24 AM

I got the latter for my best friend, she enjoyed it.

I'm surprised that the trashy Breaking Dawn is pretty good - well for peeps like me who have crap concentration

crazykat 23-01-2010 12:22 PM

I have just started reading Runaway by Skye Sinclair

Sparky! 24-01-2010 01:26 AM

'Trust Me I'm a Junior Doctor' was REALLY good. Very funny but also nice and touching and informative. Would definitely recommend it to everyone.

Just started reading 'Sunbathing in the Rain: a Cheerful Book About Depression' - Gwyneth Lewis and it looks like it might be quite good.

Lishy 24-01-2010 02:19 AM

Just finished Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. I never get tired of that book, no matter how often I re-read it!
I'm about 60 pages into The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath - I heard some really good things about it and it seems pretty interesting so far.

Devil Girl 24-01-2010 04:15 AM

Just finished Just Another Kid By Torey Hayden, and tomorrow will start The Lovely Bones

Just Another Kid was a nice easy read, quick and kept you turning. Nothing special but intresting all the same.

HopeRises 24-01-2010 09:50 PM

I'm currently reading 'Bloodletting' by Victoria Leathham, I thought It would be terrible but I read over 100pages last night and I haven't picked up a book in about a year so it can't be *that* bad!

Devil Girl 24-01-2010 10:29 PM

^I didn't really enjoy Bloodletting just didn't flow well at all!

sundaynight 24-01-2010 10:40 PM

i'm reading the last one in the millennium series by steig larsson... <3 these books!!!

Droplet 26-01-2010 01:53 PM

I am reading 'The Hours' and thinking it's good. It's quite an achievemnt actually, I haven't read anything fiction beyond a few pages in about a year due to my bad concentration. So I'm very happy and enjoying it. :)

bexidecimal 26-01-2010 04:31 PM

m family and other animals - gerald durrel

he is freaking awsome =] i love him and his books are great. i couldt find ths book anywhere because the one in our house somehow dissapeared. but my boyfriend has it... so now ive stolen it =]

evfreak42 26-01-2010 05:15 PM

Yayyy, I just got my book today!

So I'm now reading Emilie Autumn's "The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls"

It looks incredible so far. Can't wait to get started.

The War Doctor 26-01-2010 05:38 PM

Just read The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. For the most part it was very good - decent (if stereotypically dystopian) story, very well written, the protagonist was flawed, complex and sympathetic (though everyone else was pretty one-dimensional). It could have been great, but it had one of the worst, laziest endings I've read in a long time. It was barely a step above "all just a dream".

Currently reading Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett, because we all need a little Discworld in our lives now and then. One of the best in the series, so far.

After I'm done with that, Fornication: The Red Hot Chili Peppers Story, because I love a good rock biography.