RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

Happyhead 11-10-2007 10:44 PM

Been reading 'the brothers karamazov' by Fyoder Dostoyevsky for about 400 years now, i swear its taken me an insane amount of time to read, about half a year or something, im not sure why, its like trying to read glue, takes soooo long, kinda enjoying it though, but my pile of books to read just grows and grows and grows while i try and dig thrugh it

Devia_Angelus87 11-10-2007 10:57 PM

Stephen King - The Drawing of the Three

This is the second part in the Dark Tower series following Roland the Gunslinger on his eternal search for the Dark Tower....and what waits beyond

An amazing book and overall series following the story of Roland and his An Tet....drawing from previous books such as "Salems Lot" "Insomnia" and "IT"

As always an amazing writer, King outdoes himself in this spellbounding series of gun slinging, robots, mutants and of course, The Dark Tower

Heavily recommended to those King fans and those who are general fans of Fantasy writings.

Inextricably woven to fit into each of his works seperately....to produce a series that leaves you gagging for more....

Highly recommended

nowhereman 13-10-2007 11:07 PM

Just finished Appetite for Life, Inspiring stories of recovery from anorexia, bulimia and over eating.

Ginger Snap 14-10-2007 11:57 PM

I just finished Atonement by Ian McEwan. It is now officially the joint best book in the world (along with The Bell Jar). The film is awesome but is nothing compared to the book! I'm now addicted to Ian McEwan and need to start The Innocent.

xxx

nowhereman 15-10-2007 10:45 PM

I'm reading a few Jacqueline Wilson books at the moment, big kid that I am. Just finished The Dare Game and Sleepovers, now I'm reading The Bed and Breakfast Star and next I'll read Double Act.

Devil Girl 15-10-2007 11:14 PM

Oh I used to love Jacqueline Wilson books! Love Tracy Beaker, and have to admit I have some of the dvd's! lol

Currently I am just reading uni books! Meaning Psychology, management and the most difficult is the philosophy stuff! You should try reading it, it is like reading a different language!

Might start reading something tomorrow so hopefully will have a book to put up soon! Feel like I haven't had the chance to read something for pleasure for ages now!

Spoons 15-10-2007 11:15 PM

Slaughterhouse 5- Kurt Vonnegut

beautiful&dying 18-10-2007 03:58 PM

i just started 'the uncommon reader' by alan bennett, a short story/novella about the queen getting into reading. as with everything alan writes, it's beautiful, funny, intelligent and un-put-down-able. love it.
xxxxxx

ihatethereforeiam 20-10-2007 03:02 PM

Just finished 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'
and just started 'A Clockwork Orange'

Puppet Strings 20-10-2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihatethereforeiam (Post 331548)
Just finished 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'

What did you think if it?

It's on my to-read pile, amongst some of the books my uncle lent me, and was wondering what people thought of it. :) x

Sky 20-10-2007 07:25 PM

I've just finished reading Damaged by Cathy Glass, she's got another book out and I think she's the UK version of Torey Haden but Cathy's books are about children she has fostered.

I read Neverwhere a few months back which was very good. It's written by Neil Gaiman and is about a world below London, it was turned into a TV series for BBC 1 in the 90s. A colleague of mine leant me the DVD which I've been watching, it helps make sense of the book. Although it's odd seeing something from the late 90s - they lool like they awful dress sense then!

Spoons 21-10-2007 12:22 PM

I've just started reading Crime and Punishment, its really good so far.

IamJamesGreens 21-10-2007 01:30 PM

Well I was reading Prisoner of Azkaban on holiday, got bored and read the last chapters - now I know why it's classed as children material, and I still have another two books to read :X

Going to take on HFRO or Hunt for Red October - a proper book!

beautiful&dying 22-10-2007 06:11 PM

I'm reading another point horror book. they are rather addictive and only take about half a day to read! I just finished the Alan Bennett book, The Uncommon Reader too, and it's just beautiful. Made me green with envy at his perfect writing style!
xxxxxx

Louise 22-10-2007 06:13 PM

I am reading Jodi Picoult Plain Truth

Keystone 23-10-2007 11:41 AM

i've just finished the dark tower II: the drawing of the three, the series is really starting to get good and i can’t wait to read the next book

writingstatic 25-10-2007 04:23 AM

Plowed through a massive pile of 'em over the past week or so: 'A Prayer For The Dying' by Stewart O'Nan, 'When Nietzsche Wept' by Irvin Yalom, 'Unholy Ghost' edited by Nell Casey, reread Styron's 'Darkness Visible' for what feels like the tenth time (such a sublime book), am presently on 'Cutting' by Steven Levenkron with 'Bright Red Scream', 'The Noonday Demon', 'Night Falls Fast' and 'The Nightmare Factory' in the "to do" pile. But then I just bought 'Half-Life 2' for my Xbox so maybe I won't be reading anything else for a little while.

nowhereman 25-10-2007 08:41 AM

The Worry Website by Jacqueline Wilson, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Love's Executioner and other tales of psychotherapy.

Behind the Smile 25-10-2007 12:51 PM

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

whispers 25-10-2007 08:45 PM

Just finished 'Sign of the Cross' by Chris Kuzneski (I think that's his name!).
Not the kind of thing I usually read, but really good - I couldn't put it down. The ending was weak, though, in my opinion. But still a good read :)