RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Support and Advice (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   How to get over my fear quickly? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165336)

[LittleMonster] 23-05-2011 01:43 AM

How to get over my fear quickly?

Hi guys

Basically I'm going abroad on the 20th June and I have a big fear of flying. I used to be fine with it but due to bad dreams and news of plane crashes I have developed a fear of them
I get scared and anxious when they fly over me let alone getting on one.
I'm worried I'll have a panic attack and won't cope so is there anything I can do now to lessen the fear?

I am trying to rationalise it but I'm really panicking about it :notsure:
I told my aunt who I'm flying with and she said she'd help but we'll see

I'm even thinking of drinking on the plane just to cope with it :pinch:

Asura 23-05-2011 04:45 AM

The reality is that you have a greater chance of dying while riding in a car than you do on a plane. And yet, no one fears travelling by car.
Does that help?

As for fear you'll have a panic attack, I don't have much experience with that. Bring an iPod and a book so you have plenty of things to keep your mind occupied. Before getting on the plane, make sure you've eaten well and you're hydrated. :) That's all I can think of. I haven't flown a lot, but I've been on a plane about 25 times. It's very uneventful, and you have nothing to fear.

best~

[LittleMonster] 23-05-2011 11:23 AM

I know, but I just think that I'd have a greater survival rate if I were to crash in a car. :/

I will bring an iPod, I usually just close my eyes during take off and landing.. I think I'll probably be okay once I'm in the air, just scared about waiting at the airport and boarding the plane..

MissAnonymous 23-05-2011 05:09 PM

If you have PRN medication that might help. If you think some diazepam would be helpful make a GP appointment and explain you're fear of flying and I am sure they will prescribe a few in case you want them.
Don't drink, alcohol can make you feel worse on its own and will dehydrate you which you don't need.
Remember its one of the safest modes of transport. Billions of people travel on planes each year, many thousands every day.
I would check out 7 11 breathing techniques and practice them each day till you feel you can control your panic [This site explains it well... http://www.wiltshirehumangivens.org/...breathing.html]

Hope something of that helped x

[LittleMonster] 23-05-2011 08:23 PM

What is PRN medication?
Thank you, will check out that website :)
xxx

MandiC 23-05-2011 09:35 PM

How many times do you hear of plane crashes? Sometimes here and there. Many many planes take off each and every day, and they get to there destination fine, other than a few every once in a while. It will be ok, no need to worry. Just make sure you have something to occupy yourself, like listening to your ipod, reading a book, or try to sleep. Don't drink though, who knows what will happen. Trust your aunt too, who knows what will happen. I'm flying this summer too c:

Prairie Gal 24-05-2011 05:34 AM

I don't like flying either and have read lots about
plane crashes. However, I am not prone to fear
or panic attacks though do not like the feeling
of not having any control. Up there we have no
control.

So... I just say as the plane is about to take off,
"I'm in your hands God". If you believe in God you could
remind yourself of that truth. If I get killed in an airplane
crash, well I know my eternal destiny and that's a great
comfort.

I will be flying on Friday btw.

[LittleMonster] 30-05-2011 05:24 PM

Thanks guys
I know there aren't many crashes, but I just know that if it were to crash I would definitely die whereas in a car crash I could live.
It's just having no control over it that scares me and all my nightmares I have about them.

:/

[LittleMonster] 19-06-2011 10:09 PM

Ah, it's tomorrow.
:crying:

x-love/hate/tragedy-x 19-06-2011 11:53 PM

Good luck :)
Hope it all goes well.
xxx