RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Serious Discussion and Advice (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   My anxiety will be the death of me... help? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187601)

steenerxsmiles 05-05-2012 12:26 AM

My anxiety will be the death of me... help?

Thank you in advance to anyone who reads this and gives an input, I feel terribly alone :(

I'm 19 years old and have struggled with depression & anxiety for years. Every time I start working at a job I end up quitting within a few months (sometimes weeks!!) because my anxiety is so bad... The worst part is that I can't even pinpoint where the anxiety comes from! It just creeps out of no where and makes me sick! (vomitting, diarrhea, headaches, etc.)

I try so hard to stay strong and take control but I just can't :'( I feel like I'm not in control of my life or my happiness. Someone please help or just talk :'(

talaiporia 05-05-2012 03:25 AM

Hey,

I'm sorry things are bad. Have you ever sought help from anyone (ie. doctor/counsellor) for your depression and anxiety? There are lots of things they might be able to do to help. Did anything start it to begin with?

Take care.

Ailsa 05-05-2012 09:05 AM

Hi there love,

To echo Aunty T, have you ever tried consulting anyone? It really does help. I was very depressed and anxious, and I went to see a cognitive behavioral therapist and it was really worth it.

Anyway, if you'd like to chat, please PM me or e-mail me,

xxx

dontcaretosharemyname 05-05-2012 08:51 PM

Anxiety is actually a very useful tool, that was built into the minds of human beings. Before society was so protective, and supportive of our daily needs, we had to live in the wild, with many struggles, and things that could potentialy harm us. We had to constantly worry about food, water, heat, shelter, predators, and anything else that was out to get us. This world is like a big booby trap, that I take pride in saying, we have subdued. Anxiety is a built in mechanism that, I know is hard to except, but was put in place in order to protect us, and prolong our lives. You mentioned that you do not know what triggers your anxiety. This is true for a lot of people. Triggers can be things that subconsciously remind you of tramatic events from the past. Discovering these triggers goes a long way, in eventually understanding what is the root cause of the anxiety, and for the most part eliminating it. With regards again, to the origins of anxiety, if you were living in the jungle, and you all of a sudden came accross a tiger, anxiety would set in. The people of old, did not recognise it as anxiety. They didn't have a word to describe what was happening to them at that point in time. They just went with it. First their heart rate would increase. The cause of this is adrenaline. Adrenaline is released as a way to give you almost infinite energy, and believe me, when you have a tiger bearing down on you, that energy is well excepted. It's when you are working, perhaps, and you are going about your everyday life, with no immediate threats, that this adrenaline becomes irritating. It hightens all of your senses, gives you more strength and energy, and makes you more aware of your surroundings, giving you a better chance at surviving what it is that is threatening to take your life. Even starvation can do this. When the body believes it's existence is threatened by starvation, it will release adrenaline, and give you one last shot, at finding some food, no matter how weak you are. I believe where we have gone wrong, is the fact that our lives our so easy, worry free, and lack any serious threat. Excitment, threat, and danger are built into who we are. That is why we have so many daring people jumping out of planes, and climbing the tallest mountains in the world. When you take away this element of who we are, with some people the brain may begin to fabricate threats of its own, that don't actually pose any real danger to you. Anxiety can't kill you. Stress can't kill you, and depression can't kill you. Physiologically speaking anyways. All they are, are irritants to a life that is better lived relaxed. Did you know that when you have anxiety, your digestive system shuts down? This is another way you body preserves itself. By shutting down the digestive system, your body can focus on keeping you alive, by dedicating all of its recources to the vital systems within the body. If you were this unlucky fellow, who is running away from the tiger, than your digestive system will most deffinetely shut down. If he were to escape, the natural course of events would be for him to relax, which your body also does naturaly through the adrenal glands, and wait a day or two for his digestive system to turn back on, and he would be digesting bones in no time. The problem with today is that since we don't see any threats, except from within, we are constantly having bouts of stress and anxiety, and our degestive system can stop working properly, our brains can become depressed from the struggle, and our adrenal glands, can overproduce adrenaline, and underproduce the hormone that calms you down, after adrenaline has been released. None of these things that you are experiencing are beyond repair. I feel that if you understood, not only what and why your mind and body are doing these things, than you can except them, and in turn begin to eliminate these episodes of anxiety, turn your digestive system back on permanantly, and clearing the clouds of depression away. The first step for you, is to understand what is happening to you. Realise that it is nothing more than the product of civilized life, and don't let it scare you. Be courageous, and don't be afraid of having an anxiety attack, but instead, if you do have one, ignore it, understand what is happening, and that everything will be ok, and encourage your body calm down. Your body does not have the consciousness, you do. Your body isn't doing this to you intentionaly, because it knows that it bothers you. Your body is just as confused, and upset that this is happening, as you are. You are the pilot of that body, and it is relying on you to fix the problem mentaly, by understanding the problem, and allowing it to normalize. Be strong, be tough, and know that the experiences that you have had, make you into the person that you are today, and will bring great joy into your life, once you master what it is to be human, in a modern society. You are not alone.

Ferrydust 11-05-2012 02:40 AM

hi there, dont feel alone, i am in the same boat as you, all i can say is to breathe and to write down when it is happening and try to go to your docotor and ask him if there is any support groups near you
take care of your self

LostHeart 11-05-2012 03:47 AM

Hello,

I have similar things going on with me as well... I can't seem to for the life of me get a job or talk to others but for a few. And family tells me just to do it and aren't very nice. But its not that simple...

Sadly, I don't have the answers on how to fix it... I'm in the same boat. All I can offer is perhaps some understanding and if you like you can message me if you want or need someone to talk to about anything and I will listen.