RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Veterans Board (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Cant work, can't get ESA (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126963)

earthbound_misfit 07-02-2010 01:57 AM

Cant work, can't get ESA

okay... basically I always get sacked from jobs soon, due to crying/ almost crying/ anxiety stuff.
The only job I've been good at and liked was as a carer. I have always wanted to be a nurse so this was good... however I cant be a nurse as i have a criminal record - I was supposed to start in march but they just withdrew the offer.
I am brokenhearted by this.
But, to practicalities...
Im not eligible for ESA, I only score about 6-9 on the MH section about getting distressed. You need 15 to pass.
So what do I do? getting repeatedly sacked is making me ill.
any advice appreciated...

HopeRises 07-02-2010 02:05 AM

I'm sorry I really don't have any advice because I don't know how ESA works.
I've been looking into it myself but I don't think I qualify for it.
It's ridiculous though that you don't. If you can't work due to ill health how can you get money and stuff?

Could you still contact the disability advisor that the jobcentre offer even if your not on ESA? Thats my next route that I'm going to go down..I'm not after money but I need support to get a job.

Also, I know it's none of my buisness but whats your criminal record? I have a crim record (caution) and I was still able to be an auxillary nurse so it shouldn't really stop you..but it depends what it is for..will it clear after a certain period? Mine goes after 5years..then it won't show up on disclosers..apart from enhanced but apparently it will say 'expired' on it.

shadow-light 07-02-2010 02:07 AM

eugh... ESA is a pain... I do score over 15, but still can't get ESA at the moment :ermm:

Have you had an assesment? Sometimes it seems that how much you score depends on who acesses you...

Ami 07-02-2010 02:12 AM

I scored ... 0. Despite being in hospital 3 weeks earlier.

Have you appealled? x

Ami 07-02-2010 02:12 AM

Maybe you could try for DLA also? x

MissAnonymous 07-02-2010 02:32 AM

Appeal, and check this out... http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/

The benefits system are totally screwing up ESA, it is a new benefit to eventually replace Income Support completely. The rules are not applied fairly and as a result the appeals services are over run with tribunal cases.

PM me if you need any support, I am going through an appeal right now, for the reason I conveniently scored 12 points, then I asked for a reconsidered decision as part of the appeal process and had my points revised to 0! My GP is furious about it as they mis quoted her and selectively took points out of context.

Dont give up. The advice for people that cannot get ESA who dont appeal or dont win an appeal is to apply for Jobseekers, and as a part of applying you can discount all the jobs you are unable to do, and if that happens to leave the choices so very narrow they cant find anything, then so be it, and you stay on the benefit as long as you are 'searching for suitable employment'.

Dont give up, the whole system is in chaos, believe me your not alone,, and there is help out there. See the citizens advice beauro, they are sure to have lots of information because there are so many people in the same situation right now.

*hugs*

Try DLA also, you can be working and still claim DLA, as DLA is based on your needs whether or not they are currently met via health care/social care services.

Ami 07-02-2010 02:45 AM

I appealed and got the same decision of 0. (???) so they sent me tribunal stuff :/

ESA is *****.

Hope things go okay x

earthbound_misfit 07-02-2010 07:13 AM

missanonymous - the jobseekers thing is what I'm trying... but after 3 months you can't narrow down the choices, you have to apply for everything you are qualified for.
My employment history is so bad I can only get crappy, dodgy, flirt-with-boss-to-get-job type things... and they're always ****.
I do actually want to work which is why its so upsetting to be constantly sacked. I feel so inadequate.
Im actually in Malaysia now, just worried about when I come back... but being able to travel solo in Asia (and my incentive for having jobs even just a few weeks to save up for it...) and claiming I'm too sick to work just don't go...
And there is no help from disability person regarding my probs either, there seems to be no way around getting upset at work...
I want to kill myself, this is a calm rational decision as I clearly cant keep living, im no good at it, and my last hope is gone... of nursing.
my criminal record is malicious communication, affray, caution fot threats to kill, and the worse part is all the crap they wrote in the extra box about being sectioned and stuff (ive never been in hospital just sectioned where a psych has to check u out, the police did this to try to get me the help I needed but I was always sent home). and the record is forever on an enhanced disclosure

HopeRises 08-02-2010 03:26 AM

The dream may not be over. After a certain amount of time (though it might be a long time if you take all that into consideration) they may ignore it. I don't know though but I know with mine..I have a caution for 'battery' though to be fair it really wasn't battery and I was really annoyed that it came up as that.. I thought it was for 'assult' the NHS trust still employed me. I had to have a meeting and tell them in the meeting what happened for me to receive the caution and I had to tell them like 10 times over..I was so frustrated cause I had to keep repeating myself but I guess it's to see if I was telling the truth or not and they then had an internal meeting and decided to employ me. I ended up quitting because I couldn't hack it..but yeah. I know they are ment to be 'strict' about it but if it's not *that* bad..like you didn't abuse a vunerable person then I think theres still hope there. They could see I recieved it like 2years ago aswell and I said it was in the past and was a one off. I'd never acted that way before or since and they accepted that.

I can totally relate to getting crap flirt with the boss to get the job type job thing though..I have no-one to write me a referance so there is probably no hope in hell i'll get a job right now..in this current climate anyway.

But I think appealing would be a good call and speaking to CAB.
Hopefully something good will come out there.

It isn't the end of the road..although it may feel like it but where there is life there is hope.

ThinkingofRecovery 08-02-2010 10:11 AM

If you have a sick note from your dr, that allows you to receive ESA assessment rate (I think around £67 or £77 incl a disability element if on DLA). You are then sent a Work Capability Questionnaire which is an uber long form which you have to answer re how your illness affects you. After that, they send for you to have an assessment. If they deem you fit for work, you still receive ESA but at the lower rate but if they agree you cannot work, you get a higher rate and are allocated to a support group.

So, I'm not sure how you can be considered ineligible if you have an illness and are signed off by the dr.

If you don't have an illness and not signed off, then surely Jobseekers is the way forward?

earthbound_misfit 08-02-2010 12:59 PM

I guess then you get into the wholse definition of illness...
I have symptoms of depression and anxiety but not enough of the time to count as having either... although when i'm working in crappy jobs I probably count as depressed/ regular suidide thoughts.
However its all non-specific 'personality issues' as they so horribly put it, been misdiagnosed with bpd when things were really bad. But now im basically fine day to day, its just certain days im a bit fragile, maybe once a fortnight, and if certain situations arise I just lose it and cry and cant cope. Being in work increases these situations to every day or two...
I jusy want a job that i dont get sacked from but jobseekers dont let u pick and choose like that......
thanks for the replies x

ThinkingofRecovery 08-02-2010 01:13 PM

Can you make an appt to see your local diasbility employment advisor at the Jobcentre? They might be able to help.

Diamonds. 08-02-2010 01:57 PM

I'm sorry to hear your having a hard time with ESA.
I'm on ESA, and it was hardish to get, my dr is amazing though.
Hope you get it sorted.
x